IM70.3 SA 2014

Milkworx

What's the plan with regards to eating during the race? Sarmies or just sticking to bananas, Gu's and drink?

Eat what you've been eating in training. Don't change anything on race day.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the plan with regards to eating during the race? Sarmies or just sticking to bananas, Gu's and drink?

Gu and energy drink from Pace and Power, maybe a powerbar on the bike if needed cos thats what I've been using for the last 5 months

I switched to GU products about a month ago (from 32GI) to get used to it. So I will be using most of those. I also take "droewors and biltong" on the bike. The salty taste is a life saver and its easy to carry.

BUT, don't use anything you have not been training with

I switched to GU products about a month ago (from 32GI) to get used to it. So I will be using most of those. I also take "droewors and biltong" on the bike. The salty taste is a life saver and its easy to carry.

And what's the verdict? How did GU work for you compared to 32GI?

Eat what u usually eat, I usually share and my mates eat the same way so we steam etc, but it is vital that you eat as close as possible to what u would eat at home.

I was referring specifically to the question of staying in a hotel or non catering style place.

And what's the verdict? How did GU work for you compared to 32GI?

Its always very difficult with these things to say if it is better or not, but I do feel I have more energy with higher intensity workouts, but on the LSD's felt about the same. The taste is better. I use the grape flavour (GU Roctane and the Roctane gells) and it is not as sweet as 32GI. So I can use it for longer before getting sick of that sweet taste.

It depends on how long you're going to be out there. If you're planning on making the cut-off by a few seconds, you could probably chomp down on a few sarmies and probably a boerewors roll or two along the way.

There's a bunch of Gu brew, coke, water, Gu & Roctane sachets on the course, which should be enough for most of the participants.

I'll take a banana or two with on the bike and maybe put one in each transition bag.

In my opinion, not taking in enough fluids on the course is a bigger problem than nutrition.

It depends on how long you're going to be out there. If you're planning on making the cut-off by a few seconds, you could probably chomp down on a few sarmies and probably a boerewors roll or two along the way.

There's a bunch of Gu brew, coke, water, Gu & Roctane sachets on the course, which should be enough for most of the participants.

I'll take a banana or two with on the bike and maybe put one in each transition bag.

In my opinion, not taking in enough fluids on the course is a bigger problem than nutrition.

Somewhere on the 70.3 Website is a GU Specific nutrition plan-i saw it a while ago...couldnt see it now, maybe ask them if they can send you the presentation that should help your planning

You need to start the run fully hydrated with that heat and humidity. The heat on the run gets me every time.

Drink several Rehidrats on each of the preceding few days. Get the body back in balance before the start.

Drink several Rehidrats on each of the preceding few days. Get the body back in balance before the start.

I just brought a coupla boxes of them back to switz, life saving product if you need to re-establish sodium / potassium balance quickly

Where are you staying? East London does not have many restaurants and they get really full service sucks and the quality of food as well. My advice is to get into a place early and get something simple- plain pasta ect.

The water to fine to drink in EL

Im fortunate that ill just stay at my folks place but will definitely be bringing my own coffee with me

Staying at Hotel Osner. Hopefully the food isn't too bad, but I'll definitely take some of my own chow.

Anyone doing the Val de Vie race on the 19th?

Any thoughts on doing a olympic distance race the week before to sharpen up or just stick to regular training (with full IM in mind)?

I'm not doing it. I already entered the Tour de PPA by the time the date was announced in any case.

Also, R500 + petrol + nutrition on top of a lost entry and a chance to get injured doesn't seem worth it to me.

Anyone doing the Val de Vie race on the 19th?

Any thoughts on doing a olympic distance race the week before to sharpen up or just stick to regular training (with full IM in mind)?

Yip, WP Champs.

Pretty silly timing though in my opinion (and many other fellow athletes I have spoken to).

Archived