MTB: tubeless riders what extras do you carry

shadow1

For years I have not carried a tube, only Stans and puncture repair kit. But recently I burped my tyre on a carbon rim and soon realised I would not be reseating it on the trail.

So, do I now carry a tube or just run slightly higher pressure so it doesn't burp again?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For years I have not carried a tube, only Stans and puncture repair kit. But recently I burped my tyre on a carbon rim and soon realised I would not be reseating it on the trail.

So, do I now carry a tube or just run slightly higher pressure so it doesn't burp again?

Tube

It is the samaritan thing to do, and will earn you extra singletrack karma points, but after summing up the amount of bombs, tjoobs, plugs I have given away without the other person offering so much as a replacement at the trail head or finishline or a thank you beer, I became very "cold"...

The one case, an ex rugby springbok nogals was the last time....

I have put a pump on my bike so the helpless breakdowner can pump his/her own tyre if they run out of bombs....

I have put a pump on my bike so the helpless breakdowner can pump his/her own tyre if they run out of bombs....

Yea need to get me a lightweight pompie...I don't mind helping someone with their own stuff...its more when I get a blank stare when I ask the other person for a bomb or tjoob.

PS I would carry a tjoob...gives you more options

Had the same question to myself... How the heck am I going to get that tire off the rim? It took me more than an hour to get the thing on. So I might as well leave the tubes at home. Have a snot (plug) kit for repairs. Co2 bombs and two tubes.

Super glue? Do you use it with the snollies?

Yep, ever had that hole that is just too big for a folded snollie...glue the ****er in, you can glue gussets in, and all sorts of garbage, the tube is so light, its worth it.

Make sure its a "SLIMED TUBE" our Sani2c was ruined last year because We did not have a slimed tube , remember Your current tyre might be full of thorns , that are sealed by the current slime thats in Your tyre , So when You put a unslimed tube in the rim , You WILL NOT get that tube inflated as the thorns will penatrate the tube , and there s no sealant to seal , :cursing:

On the bike

Pump or CO2

in the CamelBak

Plugs

Tube

Little bottle of sealant

Tyre levers

Here I am thinking I am the only oke that does that....saved my but a couple of times.

Had the same question to myself... How the heck am I going to get that tire off the rim? It took me more than an hour to get the thing on. So I might as well leave the tubes at home. Have a snot (plug) kit for repairs. Co2 bombs and two tubes.

Let me guess...geax is his nam-o

Takes me about 20 seconds to get a racing ralph on or off

Yea need to get me a lightweight pompie...I don't mind helping someone with their own stuff...its more when I get a blank stare when I ask the other person for a bomb or tjoob.

PS I would carry a tjoob...gives you more options

Big sidewall cut - tube is only (quickest) option. Even with proper tyres, it can happen.

Big sidewall cut - tube is only (quickest) option. Even with proper tyres, it can happen.

Yep...its really the last option or line of defence...ask me on day 7 of j2c

Damn! No wonder you are SO strong! I think he weighs like 87kg on a good day... :P

Me strong? Hahaha....

I thought you carried him down & up the umko? ;)

rides < 25km............I carry no spares

rides >25 km to +- 45km.........just 2x bombs and the connector (yes in races as well)

rides >50km .....................a tube and 2x bombs and my awesome multi tool (I have a lever thingy on there which I can use as a tyre lever if needed)

use the flat end of your skewer to remove the tyre

bicycling.co.za had a nice video about it a while ago :ph34r: