Want to ride your bike in the biggest Mountain Biking area in the world? 2.0

Guest Omega Man

So I just got back today. I've done some more learning.

1. Bum bags are a thing. Lord alone knows why.

2. Guys continue to ride waaaaay beyond their limits and destroying themselves 3-4 days in. It's like clockwork.

3. I firmly believe this is the most diverse riding area on the planet. Where else can you ride a TDF col, ride multiple world cup and national cup tracks, ride the Vink Line. All from the same chalet?

4. You can do it for almost any budget. Duran is over there right now man in a vanning it with 2 others for €3000 for the van.

5. The single crown bikes are there. Singlecrown bikes outnumber DH bikes. Except in chatel. That's still big bike country. But rideable on single crown bikes.

6. They are REALLY putting effort in to trail maintenance and building. We saw multiple trail teams every day.

7. There's a LOT more than the bike parks.

8. There's a reason Greg lives there. Commencal bases themselves there. Pivot etc etc.

9. If you don't do a bolt check every day your brand new Xtr derailleur will end up in a bush.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2. Guys continue to ride waaaaay beyond their limits and destroying themselves 3-4 days in. It's like clockwork.

3. I firmly believe this is the most diverse riding area on the planet. Where else can you ride a TDF col, ride multiple world cup and national cup tracks, ride the Vink Line. All from the same chalet?

4. You can do it for almost any budget. Duran is over there right now man in a vanning it with 2 others for €3000 for the van.

5. The single crown bikes are there. Singlecrown bikes outnumber DH bikes. Except in chatel. That's still big bike country. But rideable on single crown bikes.

6. They are REALLY putting effort in to trail maintenance and building. We saw multiple trail teams every day.

8. There's a reason Greg lives there. Commencal bases themselves there. Pivot etc etc.

9. If you don't do a bolt check every day your brand new Xtr derailleur will end up in a bush.

Possibly 2019 again, but let's see.

What was the cost per person? How many riders made up your group? Oh my F..k my mind has been blown by seeing all the pics from over there, not only the amazing trails but the architecture and landscape is just wow!

Edited by andrewdh

Damn you Duane; this just moved up my list so expect to be pestered; by me and quite a few other people it seems. Off to open a Std Bank Euro account SOONEST.

7. A LOT more than the parks.....

Damn you Duane; this just moved up my list so expect to be pestered; by me and quite a few other people it seems. Off to open a Std Bank Euro account SOONEST.

Best you start saving now.

Wait for Tony's drone stuff. Honestly this is the first time that I've been there where the pics do SOME justice to the landscape. Just mental. I was telling my Fiance last night that this trip there were more "normal" people out on the trails than I've ever seen before. More E-Bikes more kids. They've elevated the stuff at Chatel but somehow it's still rideable by a normal person and the other trails are MUCH better than before. Even Les Gets which is usually braking bump city has lots of trail guys out working all the time.

What was the cost per person? How many riders made up your group? Oh my F..k my mind has been blown by seeing all the pics from over there, not only the amazing trails but the architecture and landscape is just wow!

Bank on about 30k all in for 2 weeks.

Flight      10k

Accom    5-7k (self catering sharing)

Lift pass  3k

Living     10k   20-50 Euro a day. It's cheap if you stay away from the bars.

There are other ancillaries like insurance and making sure your bike is in good working order but bank on those sorts of costs.

This year I didn't organize the crew. My mate Karl did that. I just went on holiday. It was Tony, Matt Lombardi, Martin Lombardi and myself in an apartment together.

There was a big Saffer contingent this year. Someone said around 40 in total.

We had an impromptu Saffer get together the one evening at Bar Robinson. It went from a Mellow 1 beer to an all out piss up in about 20 minutes. Mutzig does that. Tony and I bumped into GM the next day and he said he's heard about us causing a bit of noise at Robbo the night before. oops!

Hands down the best trip I've been on. The trails were amazing. The crew i was with was low(ish) maintenance. The weather was amazing. The off piste stuff we found was great.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Bank on about 30k all in for 2 weeks.

Flight 10k

Accom 5-7k (self catering sharing)

Lift pass 3k

Living 10k 20-50 Euro a day. It's cheap if you stay away from the bars.

There are other ancillaries like insurance and making sure your bike is in good working order but bank on those sorts of costs.

This year I didn't organize the crew. My mate Karl did that. I just went on holiday. It was Tony, Matt Lombardi, Martin Lombardi and myself in an apartment together.

There was a big Saffer contingent this year. Someone said around 40 in total.

We had an impromptu Saffer get together the one evening at Bar Robinson. It went from a Mellow 1 beer to an all out piss up in about 20 minutes. Mutzig does that. Tony and I bumped into GM the next day and he said he's heard about us causing a bit of noise at Robbo the night before. oops!

Hands down the best trip I've been on. The trails were amazing. The crew i was with was low(ish) maintenance. The weather was amazing. The off piste stuff we found was great.

Duane, if you lads are heading there next year again, I’m driving from Belgium to join you lot. How much pedalling is involved (off piste and shuttling to the lifts)? I might down-duro my Swoop. Thinking single speed or even a DH grouppo.

Duane, if you lads are heading there next year again, I’m driving from Belgium to join you lot. How much pedalling is involved (off piste and shuttling to the lifts)? I might down-duro my Swoop. Thinking single speed or even a DH grouppo.

If you stay in the parks there's one tiny bit of uphill to get to chatel and a short bit of flattish stuff to get to Switzerland.

But if you want to go off piste a bit you are going to work.

It's likely there will be a large Saffer contingent there around the 2nd half of July next year. There's rumors of a World Cup there next year around that time.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

If you stay in the parks there's one tiny bit of uphill to get to chatel and a short bit of flattish stuff to get to Switzerland.

But if you want to go off piste a bit you are going to work.

It's likely there will be a large Saffer contingent there around the 2nd half of July next year. There's rumors of a World Cup there next year around that time.

Bah. I'll just keep it as is. Would like to also ride more off-piste, natural trails. 

Definitely on the to-do list for next year. 

Bah. I'll just keep it as is. Would like to also ride more off-piste, natural trails. 

Definitely on the to-do list for next year. 

Yeah I wouldn't bother. There are loads of dudes on Singlespeeds but those are park-rats.

Just make sure you do a bolt check every night. I didn't and a brand new XTR is lying in a bush in Avoriaz.

Duane, rather your XTR than you in the bushes I guess. No serious injuries in your party I hope? 

Duane, rather your XTR than you in the bushes I guess. No serious injuries in your party I hope? 

Nope. I ran out of brakes and talent at the bottom of Pleney and crashed into a catch fence but that was it for me. Matt had a bit of a lie down too but nothing major.

We saw a kid go down HARD on the big jump on Zore. He had to be arlifted out and apparently couldn't breathe on his own. According to the lifties he suffered a brain injury and was in a coma. Horrible to see.

Yeah I wouldn't bother. There are loads of dudes on Singlespeeds but those are park-rats.

Just make sure you do a bolt check every night. I didn't and a brand new XTR is lying in a bush in Avoriaz.

#chainlessinmorzine.....yarrrrr!