Want to ride your bike in the biggest Mountain Biking area in the world? 2.0

Guest Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

So... Safe to say R50k will buy the bike and the bucket holiday.

R25000 for a good DH rig

R25000 for a damn good life experience.

Sounds good!

Don't you have an AM bike?

You don't need a DH rig. There were loads of dudes on AM bikes. For me it's always a good barometer of the type of riding people are doing to look at the rental bikes and this year loads of the rental bikes were Nukeproof Mega's and Giant Reign X's

I'm going to do a 1x10 poor mans xx1 on my Reign and that's the bike I'm taking next year. It will have 203 rotors front and rear tho.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This trip looks totally doable! If you don't have a AM bike (like me) it would work out cheaper to hire a bike there than to buy a new AM bike here. Hiring a bike for 2 weeks looks like it would roughly work out to R10k (http://www.toricomorzine.com/bikehire/). I know it would be better to have your own bike, but if you don't have the cash for a new rig, and really want to do this trip, it looks like hiring would be an option.

Dude. You can get a proper AM bike for 10k. And it's yours afterwards. Some of those bikes for hire are apparently dogs

Show me, where??

How much do you guys take for spending money? (ie. lunch, beer etc.)

Edited by BearManGuy

Guest Omega Man

For me a rental bike is a last option. The way I see it you have 3 choices.

1. Rent a bike. Expensive and they put *** loads of frame protection on so they bikes are heavy.

2. You can buy an ex rental bike there. I saw Morewood Izimu's for 1000 Euro

3. Get a bike here and take it over. I reckon you could get a decent trail bike for 10k. I've seen the odd Mongoose bootr for around 10k even.

With the first 2 options you will be getting used to a bike you've never ridden in possibly the most challenging terrain you've ever seen. For me the rental option only makes sense if you are popping in for a long weekend whilst in Europe or your bike doesn't show or you have some sort of terminal mechanical.

Guest Omega Man

Show me, where??

How much do you guys take for spending money? (ie. lunch, beer etc.)

I budget on 30 Euro a day for spending money. I usually exceed that cos I buy a kit or something else while I'm there. I spent 23k all in this year and that includes the purchase of a 450 Euro helmet.

3 Things will blow your budget.

1. bike repairs

2. boozing in the bars

3. Eating out a lot.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

So how long is the trip, then?

The proposed dates for next year are leave here Saturday 5th July. Leave there Saturday 19th. That gives you 12 full days on your bike. That's a LOT! we had 9 full days this year and that took its toll on my body for sure.

It's in school and Uni holidays and gives us the best chance of good weather and fresh trails.

There are other options to consider if you are so inclined.

The passportes du Soleil race takes place in the PDS on the last weekend of June. We are timing our trip specifically to miss this as it's a very busy weekend but it's a great event that marks the opening of the PDS for the summer. It's a race that covers 80km and does a full loop of the pds.

The Mega will more than likely be on the weekend of the 12th. That takes place about 150km away on Alp du Huez.

It's also possible to do day trips to Pila from Morzine if you get bored with the trails. Even tho that's pretty unlikely.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

By my calculation, that would be cheaper than staying in Cape Town!

My accommodation this year cost R2200. for 10 nights self catering. 1 block away from the town square. And it was a very nice house with wifi and all the little modcons you'd expect. Remember it's their off season.

Pila would be worth a day trip. They have this crazy long single track with steep switchbacks and roots but also with some good flow and it literary is 30 min of descending without even taking a single pedal stroke.

Guest Omega Man

Pila would be worth a day trip. They have this crazy long single track with steep switchbacks and roots but also with some good flow and it literary is 30 min of descending without even taking a single pedal stroke.

Ja. There's a company that does day trips for 30 euro from Morzine. But in all honesty it's unlikely you'll get bored in Morzine.

Don't you have an AM bike?

You don't need a DH rig. There were loads of dudes on AM bikes. For me it's always a good barometer of the type of riding people are doing to look at the rental bikes and this year loads of the rental bikes were Nukeproof Mega's and Giant Reign X's

I'm going to do a 1x10 poor mans xx1 on my Reign and that's the bike I'm taking next year. It will have 203 rotors front and rear tho.

Need and want :P

AM bike is sorted. 160mm travel and 203/180 rotors with Hope brakes. Would want to hit some bigger things though.

Guest Omega Man

Need and want :P

AM bike is sorted. 160mm travel and 203/180 rotors with Hope brakes. Would want to hit some bigger things though.

Don't buy things buy experiences. Like a trip to France for example. hehe. In all seriousness tho. There's loads of people on AM bikes there having just as much of a blast.

Don't buy things buy experiences. Like a trip to France for example. hehe. In all seriousness tho. There's loads of people on AM bikes there having just as much of a blast.

So do 2014 with the Morewood and then go back in 2015 with a DH rig? :P :D

Yes oh voice of reason!