Calling on you gamers

Guest Kalahari ou

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, now to wait 3 days for the download.... :thumbup:

Saw the DL size and was all nope nope nope!

Feedback on Red Dead Redemption 2..my sons said it is the best game they have ever played.. keep in mind they are big Black Flag fans and according to them it is even better than that.. looks incredible and the storyline is awesome.

So there is a tip for you guys looking for something to play.

Feedback on Red Dead Redemption 2..my sons said it is the best game they have ever played.. keep in mind they are big Black Flag fans and according to them it is even better than that.. looks incredible and the storyline is awesome.

I was about halfway. Looking forward to getting back into it.

• 2 weeks later...

So, for those with GTA5 (apparently not the Epic store version though), check this out:

The first one was epic, a brilliant game.

I've played Black Flag. I've also played RDR2. Both brilliant games that probably deserve a thesis each if I were to review them. But. Its an absolute shame that they both overshadow

Assassins Creed Odyssey.

RDR2 was released around the same time as Odyssey. It was probably the most anticipated game of the decade. It also delivered. Big time. Nearly 2 years after its release its asking price is still R899. 

Black flag is a more traditional Assassin's Creed game. Only this time its focus is predominantly on Naval combat. For a pirates them game they pretty much nailed it. And many AC fans hail Black Flag as the best in the series to date. 

Odyssey takes a very different direction to the rest of the games in the Assassins Creed series.

Its an open world sandbox rpg if I were to pigeon hole it. With its primary focus on melee combat and archery. You explore a massive open world finishing quests you decide upon. So the progression is far from linear. And so is its story telling.

You begin by choosing one of two siblings as the protagonist. And every decision you make decides not only how your own story unfolds but also the story of your sibling. Whom you run into a few times as the story unfolds. What fascinating is how well it was produced from a story telling perspective. 

With over 30 hours of cut scenes and 9 different endings. Even RDR2's story seems (which has 4 endings) seems linear by comparison. The game attempts to offer you actual choice. And your own story. Not the illusion thereof where everyone's progression is a semi side tracked version of the same tale. 

The world, characters, and effects are all breathtakingly beautiful. The combat is crisp, responsive, challenging and immersive. To such a degree that no 2 fights are ever the same. A plethora of weapons, abilities and combos each with its own trade offs. You often find yourself enacting split second creative combat decisions to survive and escape or to overcome and defeat.

Set around 400bc in ancient Greece. You play both sides of the war between the Athenians and Spartans. Often favoring one over the other in order to unravel your own story. The story telling treads a line between a factual account of ancient Greece and its mythology. Everything from the birth of democracy and philosophy intertwined with the sorties of God's, demigods, and mythological creatures. AC Odyssey is to date. One of the top 5 single players games I've ever played.

So is RDR2. But in my personal opinion. Odyssey is better.

This is a clip from my actual gameplay.

Sorry about the volume you'll have to crank it if you want to hear.

https://youtu.be/VaaaP46MZN4

and this is one of its dlc trailers

https://youtu.be/cULAyCisTEI

https://youtu.be/WhA-3OZFyGY

A little clip of myself playing on xbox.

jAPFxD9.jpg

Lonely Mountains Downhill is a physics based game where you choose from a selection of mountain bikes to ride a selection of downhill courses. There are 4 themed mountains with 4 different trails each. Each uniquely designed to offer a variety of mountain biking accross 16 different trails.

The bike selection ranges from a rigid CX gravel bike which excels at flat out pedaling speed and acceleration at the cost of grip and suspension. To a full on downhill bike which has massive suspension and grip but lacks pedaling ability and acceleration. There's also a little suspension XC bike, what looks like an AM hardtail 6 fattie and also a little slope bike for good measure. Each with different strengths and weaknesses. As a single player game the only racing is against yourself (and the clock) but your times are also displayed on the online leader boards so you see how well you fair against other players.

I have to say. As a purely physics based game trying to emulate mountain biking. It pretty much nails it. The controls are super simple with only 4 mapped buttons. Easy to learn. Hard to master. It soon becomes clear that your skill hinges on split second reaction timing as you navigate your way from checkpoint to checkpoint as fast as you can. Attempting to remain composed and maintaining flow while you narrowly escape and overcome a string of obstacles stitched together across each of the trails. Which is actually not too far off from actual mountain biking.

There are many little details that I appreciate about this game. There is no music in the game at all. Which I love. Ambient sounds from being outdoors like the wind and birds to crickets at night. Overlayed with occasional cranking pedals, rubber grazing dirt and spinning hubs. I may be wrong but it sounds like those hubs were sampled from hope's unmistakable buzzing. 

The courses themselves are very well designed. Its clear that developers did their homework when it comes to trail building research. The majority of features seem intentionally designed as natural ones and everything is so well stitched together from a design perpective. Despite there being only 16 trails. Most of the trails trails offer a variety of different line choices. Each with their own risk vs reward approach. Bigger drops are harder to land but also offer a quicker route down. Quite often I find myself searching for alternate route. Many of which are hidden. I've also managed to find routes which are completely off trail. Offering some pretty intense freeride options. 

I could nitpick on a few things like the inability to manual,  wheelie, or bunny hop. Which could really transform this game massively. Its also hard to see with some of the dedicated camera angles certain courses force you into. Making it harder to see certain obstacles. The ability to free pan the camera would also be nice. Other than that its an absolute gem of a game at a very good price.

Available on steam, xbox, playstation and switch

Edited by popcorn_skollie

• 3 weeks later...

CS-GO is free to play these days. Quite fun and low ping ftw, but im playing with friends and bots so doesn't actually matter (yes bots). 

Valorant released Free to play FPS CS-GO style game with overwatch abilities. Honestly i'm not a  fan but everyone else loves it. The ping (200 odd ms) just makes it not fun, there is visible issues related to this IE headshot the other guys body drops on your screen then you show up dead instead.

As for PS5 and new XBOX X they look epic but ill reserve judgement on them till I see cost in ZAR, im sure its going to end up R8k+.

CS-GO is free to play these days. Quite fun and low ping ftw, but im playing with friends and bots so doesn't actually matter (yes bots). 

Valorant released Free to play FPS CS-GO style game with overwatch abilities. Honestly i'm not a  fan but everyone else loves it. The ping (200 odd ms) just makes it not fun, there is visible issues related to this IE headshot the other guys body drops on your screen then you show up dead instead.

As for PS5 and new XBOX X they look epic but ill reserve judgement on them till I see cost in ZAR, im sure its going to end up R8k+.

I play a lot of CS GO. Look out for me :  Tappets2020

It plays quite well for my crap connection....LOL is not too bad but sometimes the lag is awful!

Ping on CS is around 25-30....still pathetic but playable!

RDR2 is definitely one of the best games I've ever played. Most immersive storyline I've ever seen. Just wow! Never got emotional because of a game before. Just damn! 

Currently alternating between Doom Eternal and Snowrunner. Polar opposites but Snowrunner is without a doubt the most boring game I just can't stop playing. 

I also spent some time of Farm Simulator. Quite fun if you are into driving tractors and plowing fields. 

RDR2 is definitely one of the best games I've ever played. Most immersive storyline I've ever seen. Just wow! Never got emotional because of a game before. Just damn! 

Currently alternating between Doom Eternal and Snowrunner. Polar opposites but Snowrunner is without a doubt the most boring game I just can't stop playing. 

I also spent some time of Farm Simulator. Quite fun if you are into driving tractors and plowing fields. 

You playing Doom on the PC or PS?