Calling on you gamers

Guest Kalahari ou

We're actually finally at a point where trying to choose between a console and a gaming pc isn't as easy as it use to be. Maybe a year or two back Gaming PC's offered far better value in terms of performance to price. But the Xbox one X is going to change that. For the proposed price of $500 and the promise of native 4k gaming at 60 fps I might just buy one. Try building a gaming pc that can push out 60fps in 4k for under $500.

yeeeeeah, but to be perfectly honest, a console's draw distance and shader inclusion and foliage levels and character richness at 4k will in no way match a PC's at the same FPS. 

Console 4k is pretty much the equivalent of gaming on LOW settings on a 4k-capable PC. 

On ULTRA settings - heck even Medium, there's simply no comparison. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great choice. I cheaped out on the red dragon vara. Which isn't bad at all. Nice weight. Rubber feet. and no flex at all. I'm pretty sure MSI and red dragon are sister companies. Many of the products are similar if not identical. Love the pronounced tactile feel of the vara but the keys are super loud. So loud that if I game late at night while the wife is trying to sleep she tells me to shut my door. And our bedroom is a good 10-15 metres away from my office. They're not genuine cherry mx switches so I assume they're in house mech switches to meet a price point. It should be said though that I had mine now for a few months and one of the lights on my keys have gone out. No biggie. Still under warranty so would probably send it back before it expires.

yeah, tested the VARA in-store. Was great, and was also on special at Takealot yesterday for ±700 or so. The small jump to this one was imo worth it. 

LOVED the feel of it. Also, not as loud (clacky) as other mech boards. 

yeeeeeah, but to be perfectly honest, a console's draw distance and shader inclusion and foliage levels and character richness at 4k will in no way match a PC's at the same FPS. 

Console 4k is pretty much the equivalent of gaming on LOW settings on a 4k-capable PC. 

On ULTRA settings - heck even Medium, there's simply no comparison. 

The comparison comes in when you have to pay 7999 for a ps4 pro vs upwards of 20k for a pc to play 4k on med.

The comparison comes in when you have to pay 7999 for a ps4 pro vs upwards of 20k for a pc to play 4k on med.

*Low.

But yes. I agree. The economies of scale on console gaming are huge.

And you more than pay that difference back when buying console games.

*Low.

But yes. I agree. The economies of scale on console gaming are huge.

You'll be surprised my bru. It was hard for me to wrap my head around it too but there are lots of factors which contribute to its competitive price point. An optimized console with custom hardware that maximizes efficiency. 

Think about it like this. If you were to set out and cherry pick parts for a 4k 60fps gaming pc. You'd choose hardware thats going to crap all over the system requirements of any game.

Most of us will jump straight into dual gpu solution with a board, chip and ram which supports overclocking. Then overkill cooling solutions to keep thermals in check not to mention a wopper of a psu for enough headroom. This thought process. While effective at achieving the end result is ridiculously expensive and means lots of wastage. Because you're bound by the existing template that is building a pc. The case and all the bits inside it have to fit together.

So if I build it. I need to adhere to certain restrictions to make it all work and this inevitably costs more because its 20 different parts from 10 different companies. Every part you buy when assembling this pc. Not only needs to work with everything else you buy. But also with anything else you might want to add or change down the line. Kinda like building up a bike vs buying a similar specked one off the floor. 

We've seen evidence of this move towards efficiency form factor gaming pc's in the last few years. Machines purposely built for gaming and readily sold off the shelf with custom cooling solutions, custom cases and custom psu's. This helps mitigate some of the cost. But most of these are still overpriced. Especially considering their limitations regarding upgrading. They are computers after all.

Now we have Microsoft. With all their buying power. Approach AMD. The undisputed king of bang for buck tech products. And together they design something which only has to adhere to a single ecosystem. So every part is specifically design with this in mind and then mass produced. The cooling solution for example is a single heatsink and fan for both the CPU and GPU. Despite this it still maxes out at 70 degrees with tolerable acoustics. It also has a pretty nifty optimized psu. Only 245 watts. Try building a gaming pc with a 300w psu. Least of all a 4k one. 

Previously consoles sucked because they were just watered down versions of existing computer hardware. But once R&D is focused on optimization instead of compatibility. The results speak for themselves. Watch the video and you'll re-consider your assumptions about visual fidelity at that price point. 

https://youtu.be/Gci-KI-RRbg

Edited by popcorn_skollie

You'll be surprised my bru. It was hard for me to wrap my head around it too but there are lots of factors which contribute to its competitive price point. An optimized console with custom hardware that maximizes efficiency. 

Think about it like this. If you were to set out and cherry pick parts for a 4k 60fps gaming pc. You'd choose hardware thats going to crap all over the system requirements of any game.

Most of us will jump straight into dual gpu solution with a board, chip and ram which supports overclocking. Then overkill cooling solutions to keep thermals in check not to mention a wopper of a psu for enough headroom. This thought process. While effective at achieving the end result is ridiculously expensive and means lots of wastage. Because you're bound by the existing template that is building a pc. The case and all the bits inside it have to fit together.

So if I build it. I need to adhere to certain restrictions to make it all work and this inevitably costs more because its 20 different parts from 10 different companies. Every part you buy when assembling this pc. Not only needs to work with everything else you buy. But also with anything else you might want to add or change down the line. Kinda like building up a bike vs buying a similar specked one off the floor. 

We've seen evidence of this move towards efficiency form factor gaming pc's in the last few years. Machines purposely built for gaming and readily sold off the shelf with custom cooling solutions, custom cases and custom psu's. This helps mitigate some of the cost. But most of these are still overpriced. Especially considering their limitations regarding upgrading. They are computers after all.

Now we have Microsoft. With all their buying power. Approach AMD. The undisputed king of bang for buck tech products. And together they design something which only has to adhere to a single ecosystem. So every part is specifically design with this in mind and then mass produced. The cooling solution for example is a single heatsink and fan for both the CPU and GPU. Despite this it still maxes out at 70 degrees with tolerable acoustics. It also has a pretty nifty optimized psu. Only 245 watts. Try building a gaming pc with a 300w psu. Least of all a 4k one. 

Previously consoles sucked because they were just watered down versions of existing computer hardware. But once R&D is focused on optimization instead of compatibility. The results speak for themselves. Watch the video and you'll re-consider your assumptions about visual fidelity at that price point. 

but can i easily and swiftly optimize my powerpoint presentations on it? pffftt

^_^

I was thinking yesterday, should I sell my PC or keep it for good measure? If I sell it, I'll put the dosh towards a new laptop - not a gaming laptop as I feel I'm sorted gaming wise with the Switch, PSP, and my two retro consoles. If I keep it, I'll carry on jolling the games it can run.

Decisions decisions.

So we got a little local clan ( nerd herds as my wife calls us) that always plays Wildlands Ghost War,GTA and COD Together. We are not to bad, but last night on Ghost War we sucked so bad. When I saw these pics, its exactly what I experienced last night.

post-32956-0-60118200-1511934167_thumb.png

post-32956-0-99788800-1511934176.jpg

100%, buddy... Which is exactly what I was saying, but in a far better more eloquent block of TL;DR...

:P

Just face it a proper gamer would own one of every console + pc.

O yes and boardgames + cardgames + tabletop.....

Then add Cycling into that horrible mix and you need a winning lottery ticket to afford it all.

:)

Must say my 1060gtx runs like a dream for almost anything I want to play. 

It did catch a slight dip on ultra with Shroud of the Avatar.

and PUBG is so stupidly optimised it runs same on pretty much all settings (okish)

Been Considering a Proper open world RPG again... but I dont really want to be that addicted to gaming again.

Just face it a proper gamer would own one of every console + pc.

O yes and boardgames + cardgames + tabletop.....

Then add Cycling into that horrible mix and you need a winning lottery ticket to afford it all.

:)

Must say my 1060gtx runs like a dream for almost anything I want to play. 

It did catch a slight dip on ultra with Shroud of the Avatar.

and PUBG is so stupidly optimised it runs same on pretty much all settings (okish)

Been Considering a Proper open world RPG again... but I dont really want to be that addicted to gaming again.

I must be a fraction of the way there then. PC, Switch, PSP, Famiclone, Atgames Megadrive, I have a deck of cards somewhere in the flat, and I bought a Monopoly set the other day :ph34r: :whistling: :P

Edit: I would be keen to save up for a more updated video card, but I'm not as much into PC gaming as I used to be.

Edited by HyruleWarrior80

And you more than pay that difference back when buying console games.

Depends on how you buy.

I only buy pre played games.

Take for example COD WW2 costs +- R800 for pc vs R900 for console new.

I picked up a pre played copy for 499 on ps4.

If you buy on specials and stuff console is still cheaper than pc. If you can wait a month or 3 you'll pick up games with no damage at 40% less than new.

So we got a little local clan ( nerd herds as my wife calls us) that always plays Wildlands Ghost War,GTA and COD Together. We are not to bad, but last night on Ghost War we sucked so bad. When I saw these pics, its exactly what I experienced last night.

Nerd herd. Hahahahahahahaha! Thats moer funny!

So we got a little local clan ( nerd herds as my wife calls us) that always plays Wildlands Ghost War,GTA and COD Together. We are not to bad, but last night on Ghost War we sucked so bad. When I saw these pics, its exactly what I experienced last night.

Ha ha ha

I call my sons and their fiends the "Dork Squad"..

They finished exams on Monday so they all rocked up at my place to have a few days gaming and swimming ... It's funny because more and more would rock up..I tell you feeding 6 teenage boys is challenging. But it's really cool the for now the dorks would still rather chill at our house than go partying...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ha ha ha

I call my sons and their fiends the "Dork Squad"..

They finished exams on Monday so they all rocked up at my place to have a few days gaming and swimming ... It's funny because more and more would rock up..I tell you feeding 6 teenage boys is challenging. But it's really cool the for now the dorks would still rather chill at our house than go partying...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

To paraphrase that meme...

Teach your children to love gaming and they won't be able to afford drugs.

:P