What did your MTB bike service cost?

Fast Forward

Resurrecting an old thread. I took my Giant Fathom for a service. I knew there were a few issues with it and just dont have the time to do it. The bike has done around 1600km's and being mainly ridden in winter this is mileage in tough conditions, mud, rain, snow. Shop did a great job and i am happy to pay so this is not a bitch session but a comparison of parts labour etc between here and ZA. As a side not this is more expensive than any service i have ever paid for a vehicle but the bike is completely transformed..

Fathom 1.pdf

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Resurrecting an old thread. I took my Giant Fathom for a service. I knew there were a few issues with it and just dont have the time to do it. The bike has done around 1600km's and being mainly ridden in winter this is mileage in tough conditions, mud, rain, snow. Shop did a great job and i am happy to pay so this is not a bitch session but a comparison of parts labour etc between here and ZA. As a side not this is more expensive than any service i have ever paid for a vehicle but the bike is completely transformed..

Expensive.Fairly regular service.

I know you say its done some mileage in rain etc but I would be well miff if I had to replace headsets and BB's at 1600km....

I know you say its done some mileage in rain etc but I would be well miff if I had to replace headsets and BB's at 1600km....

I thought the same thing. After 20 odd years of cycling l, I have never replaced either.

Guess that is a valid point, not sure of the quality of the OEM parts or the amount of grease used in either. The bike does have a tough life but 1600kms is poor. 

Last service was just over R6500....

Rear shock was R1850

Lefty was R1700

New 61806 SKF bearings R 320ea

New pivot bearings R95x6

labour R750

Cable and housing.

Brake bleed

This was a major service though so you service cost is inline with the work done.

Welcome to ring ripping industry that is the bike industry

Edited by DieselnDust

I thought the same thing. After 20 odd years of cycling l, I have never replaced either.

When we rebuild Maritz's bike I learnt some interesting lessons ....

8 year young bike ... studs still on the original tires !!!  Daddy bought bikes for the family, and mommies bike must have seen only a few rides.

BUT .... at a guess ... a pressure washer was used .... GRIT inside the head set bearings !!  :eek:   Removed the end caps, cleaned it out, re-lubed, and they are mint condition and better than new.  :whistling:

BB was smooth, and needed no attention.

Rear bearings also had grit blasted into them ....

A "bad wash" can cause a LOT of damage !!!  

NOT saying IceCreamMan had his bike pressure blasted, just pointing out what we have encountered.

August last year I had the Scott Full Suspension serviced .... new inner and outer cables (my request), front fork rebuild,  Mark checked and then declined to rebuild the rear shock, long list of other stuff as well ... most of which I asked them the do a "major service" .... Think it came to about R 1700.