Urgent appeal for assistance!!

Wannabe

Maroesjka got anther 3rd in yesterdays 10 km scratch race. Was a race where they could earn ''UCI points, quite a big one. Also won two hotspots in a 'hotspot' race.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Esterhuizen nails Fastest Man on Wheels contest (USA)

18 August 2013 – South African Track cycling Olympian Bernard Esterhuizen won the men’s title in the Keirin at the Deer Park Nature Spring Water UCI Fastest Man (and Woman) on Wheels at the Valley Preferred Cycling Center on Friday night, 16 August.

By claiming the victory, Esterhuizen adds valuable UCI points to his tally, which is needed in order to qualify for the UCI World Cup and World Championship competitions. He also finished third in the Sprint, with Njisane Phillip (Trinidad) claiming the victory.

In an interview with The Morning Call (www.mcall.com) Esterhuizen said that he had planned his season around the UCI races. Taking the lead position behind the pace motorcycle, the 21-year-old led out to the finish, digging deep with the pressure being laid by local favourite Matt Baranoski (USA), Poland's Kamil Kuczynski and Phillip.

Esterhuizen was one of four riders to break the 11-second mark in the early rounds of the Sprint competition, posting 10.73 seconds, followed by Baranoski at 10.76, Kuczynski at 10.90 and Phillip in 10.95.

“Esterhuizen easily knocked off Canada's Chris Singleton, son of VPCC Hall of Fame member and world champion Gordon Singleton, in the quarterfinals. Gordon Singleton was back at the track for the first time in 10 years and served as holder for his son and several Canadian riders. Philip upset the top-seeded Esterhuizen in the semis. Philip started the sprint out of Turn 2, taking the lead after hitting the pole lane ahead of the South African. Philip kept the pedal power in high gear and led out to the end to make the finals,” the article read.

Esterhuizen’s high-class speed placed him ahead of Kuczynski for third place.

South Africa’s Maroesjka Matthee competed in the women’s challenge, claiming 7th in the Keirin, which was won by Missy Erikson of Colorado. Erikson also picked up UCI points by winning the 10-kilometre Scratch race, with Matthee claiming third place.

Matthee said that the racing was very fast, and that she was competing in mostly short races over the time that she has been positioned in the United States.

“I raced two Tuesday races and two Friday races,” said Matthee ahead of the Fastest Man on Wheels competition. “I got a 5th place and a 6th place in the first week. 
Last Friday I got my first podium. 
I won my heat in the 500m Chariot race and got narrowly beaten into 3rd in the final. I managed a 3rd place in the Elimination and 5th in the Omnium.

“There are a lot of strong ladies racing and it’s not something that I am used to. It really feels like a different world!”

The Fastest Man on Wheels took place in the world famous cycling hub of Trexlertown, fondly known to avid cyclists as T-Town, in Pennsylvania. Esterhuizen plans to remain in T-town for the next two weeks.

ENDS

Full article here: http://www.mcall.com/sports/olympics/mc-cycling-velodrome-08162013-20130816,0,3835414.story

Summary of Results - Fastest Man on Wheels (USA)

Elite Men – Keirin

1 Bernard Esterhuizen (RSA)

2 Njisane Phillip (TRI)

3 Matthew Baranoski (USA)

Elite Men – Sprint

1 Njisane Phillip (TRI)

2 Matthew Baranoski (USA)

3 Bernard Esterhuizen (RSA)

Elite Women – Keirin

1 Melissa Erickson (USA)

2 Mandy Marquardt (USA)

3 Colleen Gulick (USA)

7 Maroesjka Matthee (RSA)

Elite Women – Scratch

1 Melissa Erickson (USA)

2 Elizabeth Steel (NZL)

3 Maroesjka Matthee (RSA)

Edited by milky4130

Hi Guys! Thanks for the support!

Bernard is a world class cyclist and is respected by all the athletes here in t-town. With getting the opportunity to live and train by the best coaches in the world at the uci cycling centre 4years ago and going to London Olympics, he has been showing class.

It was great having a fellow saffa racing as well. Or well...winning...hehe!

I managed to go through to the final of the keirin. In the final it was pretty much fighting for survival. I tried to do a early attack but sheeez this is not SA racing. The speed gets picked up on the front if they even get a hint of you coming across. That then continue's on to a flat out 60kph sprint. I wish I knew that 6th place gets a lot more uci points than 7th. (15 point difference) I would have just pulled something out! Just shows you, never give up untill you cross the line!

In the scratch race it was prettu clear that Missy would have biggest chance of winning it. She won thw keirin and is ranked (I think) 2nd fastest in the states at the moment. She also needs the uci points to qualify for a world cup the end of the year.

The race started out with me giving the first attack. Trying to get the speed as high for as long as possible. The race quickly turned negative with girls just following riders up the banking. I gave some more attacks, but the longest break away attempt was 2 laps. It was clear... it is going to come down to a bunch sprint!

With 3laps to go I positioned myself to the front. 2laps to go the sprint has already started. It was just case of who to follow in which line. In the end I got 3rd behind Missy and Elizabeth Steel. Both very good riders.

I was very happy with my 3rd place. I was struggling a lot with my injury in the week so I basically told myself if you finish with the bunch it will be good enough.

I got some valuable uci points towards qualifying for the world cups in November and December.

2 more Friday night races! The last one is again a uci point event.

With regards to my injury. It is feeling a bit better. Not under control but not out of control. :-)

Follow me on twitter maroesjka555 for updates and tweets!

Fire :)

Edited by Fire

Thanks for the report, Fire.

Never the less, you are doing us proud over there, and you yourselve is gaining valuable experience and training tips.

Enjoy and good luck with the next race.

:thumbup: :clap:

You are fast becomming a world class cyclist yourself!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Keep this up and we will also be following you in the world cup events!!

Seems like our girly is getting a good taste of overseas racing.

I hope she generates enough UCI points to compete further and CSA take her seriously.

If not....Ill be watching.

Guest Frail4Life

Hi Guys! Thanks for the support!

Bernard is a world class cyclist and is respected by all the athletes here in t-town. With getting the opportunity to live and train by the best coaches in the world at the uci cycling centre 4years ago and going to London Olympics, he has been showing class.

It was great having a fellow saffa racing as well. Or well...winning...hehe!

I managed to go through to the final of the keirin. In the final it was pretty much fighting for survival. I tried to do a early attack but sheeez this is not SA racing. The speed gets picked up on the front if they even get a hint of you coming across. That then continue's on to a flat out 60kph sprint. I wish I knew that 6th place gets a lot more uci points than 7th. (15 point difference) I would have just pulled something out! Just shows you, never give up untill you cross the line!

In the scratch race it was prettu clear that Missy would have biggest chance of winning it. She won thw keirin and is ranked (I think) 2nd fastest in the states at the moment. She also needs the uci points to qualify for a world cup the end of the year.

The race started out with me giving the first attack. Trying to get the speed as high for as long as possible. The race quickly turned negative with girls just following riders up the banking. I gave some more attacks, but the longest break away attempt was 2 laps. It was clear... it is going to come down to a bunch sprint!

With 3laps to go I positioned myself to the front. 2laps to go the sprint has already started. It was just case of who to follow in which line. In the end I got 3rd behind Missy and Elizabeth Steel. Both very good riders.

I was very happy with my 3rd place. I was struggling a lot with my injury in the week so I basically told myself if you finish with the bunch it will be good enough.

I got some valuable uci points towards qualifying for the world cups in November and December.

2 more Friday night races! The last one is again a uci point event.

With regards to my injury. It is feeling a bit better. Not under control but not out of control. :-)

Follow me on twitter maroesjka555 for updates and tweets!

Fire :)

Awesome, Thank You for the update!

Guest Frail4Life

Seems like our girly is getting a good taste of overseas racing.

I hope she generates enough UCI points to compete further and CSA take her seriously.

If not....Ill be watching.

Make that a couple of people, that Are watching out for you!

What I'm about to say is not to make myself sound great, but rather to show just how impressed I was with the generosity of the Hub community in making Maroesjka's dream come true.

And help her in her quest to be an Olympic champion.

Since I couldn't assist quite so generously financially, I was however able to donate time to build her a website: www.maroesjka.co.za which was done at no cost and which I will host and maintain for Maroesjka again without cost.

But perhaps it is a little something to consider that for those who cannot help with cold hard cash, we all have time we can donate, whether it is a worthy cause like Maroesjka's, or helping at our local hospital or police station.

We all live in a beautiful country with boundless challenges. But us South Africans are a hardy lot. We've hosted soccer, cricket and rugby world cups (name another nation to have done that) and we've proven to be olympic and other sporting world champions in a country at the foot of deepest, darkest Africa.

This country is filled with good people. But we need good deeds and it is up to us to make a difference.

Rant over.

Well done Fires!!! Again great work Wayne. I'm having a slightly hard time. This makes me feel better and brings a tear to my cynical old eye.