Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

You should use charcoal rather than briquettes. The briquettes have a glue in them the hold them together and this gives off that distinctive smell. Real wood charcoal is just that - real wood, and gives off a nice smokey smell.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BEER MARINADE

6 TABLESPOONS OLIVE OIL

1 HEAPED TABLESPOON CRUSHED GARLIC/GINGER

1 ONION VERY FINELY CHOPPED

1 TEASPOON SALT / GROUND BLACK PEPPER / WHITE PEPPER

2 TEASPOONS MIXED HERBS

5 TEASPOONS SUGAR

1 TABLESPOON BLACK PEPPER CORNS

4 TABLESPOONS CHUTNEY

2 TABLESPOONS APRICOT JAM

1 TABLESPOON LEMON JUICE

1 TABLESPOON WORCESTOR SAUCE

1 BEER

FEW BAY LEAVES

MAKES APPROXIMATELY 750ML

I use this with most of my game meat. Fillets work the best!!! Leave in for at least 6hrs, or overnight!

You should use charcoal rather than briquettes. The briquettes have a glue in them the hold them together and this gives off that distinctive smell. Real wood charcoal is just that - real wood, and gives off a nice smokey smell.

I shall try. How does charcoal react in the low n slow type of cooking for a roast?

I shall try. How does charcoal react in the low n slow type of cooking for a roast?

not well I am afraid, its very hot and then it drops you....for slow braais(lamb) use hardekool wood that will make its own coals or if you have to, briquettes, but let them burn out completely(white ash on all the coals)

When I use my braai, wood all the way. When I use the weber, briquettes are the only way.

When I braai at a mate's place, it's whatever they have. My godmother has a fire pit though, and using anything but a combo of wood AND briquettes is asking for disaster. Just doesn't have enough airflow...

Thats the thing its horses for courses.

At home, because I'm basically lazy, I will often use charcoal but out camping I want the whole wood fire thing and never use charcoal,

When I use my braai, wood all the way. When I use the weber, briquettes are the only way.

When I braai at a mate's place, it's whatever they have. My godmother has a fire pit though, and using anything but a combo of wood AND briquettes is asking for disaster. Just doesn't have enough airflow...

yup. best part of the braai is watching the fire while knocking back a couple of cold ones. speaking of cold ones, i recently bought some (locally made) Boston Weiss beer. very good. as good as the imported stuff.

for us capies it's rooikrans all the way. not as good as kameeldoring but a lot cheaper and there is so much of the stuff around the okes can't chop it down fast enough. plus it's an alien, so no guilt.

For us Capies from the Free State it just isn't up to scratch.

not well I am afraid, its very hot and then it drops you....for slow braais(lamb) use hardekool wood that will make its own coals or if you have to, briquettes, but let them burn out completely(white ash on all the coals)

We get the namibian hard wood charcoal here. Its pretty good.

People braai on briquettes that HAVEN'T burnt through!?

A weber is a fantastic thing if used properly.

Smoke chicken, roast anything.

Lately I have been making homemade pizza with the kids.

Daddy makes the dough and a variety of toppings, kids go bossies putting WHATEVER toppings they like.

We make small pizzas so if they taste ***, we give them to the dogs and make more...I am trying to teach my kids to experiment with whatever flavours pop into there little minds.

Buy a pizza stone though.

Speaking of pizzas on the braai- I once spent a month 4x4ing the Gamadulas with a chap who was born in Florence; he used to make pizza/bread dough in the morning, let it rise in the car as we drove and then for lunch had one of those mini rectangular flat braais that he cooked them on- what amazed me was how he would take a beer box and line it with foil [with a few ventalation holes] and turn the braai into an oven! He always carried a pizza stone.

He would roll the pizzas SUPER thin with a castle milkstout bottle :clap: man was a genius...

To make the sauce he would take a few cloves of garlic, half a diced onion, some mixed herbs, some oil and some seasoning and wrap it in a fair bit of foil. He'd then chuck the whole thing in the fire to roast. Then he'd take a tin of tomatoes [a biggish one] cut up the tomatoes in the tin with a scissors, add the garlic/onions and put the whole tin over the fire to simmer [he used to say "it's-a ready only when-a de label burns off " :P] then he'd use a potato masher to make the sauce perfect for the pizza

Ahh good times...

We get the namibian hard wood charcoal here. Its pretty good.

Jis lucky...In jozi its mostly wattle...meant for fireplaces, not braais. My boet gets some hardwood from botswana every now and again...but I use it up fairly quick.

Guest Latent Blue

So I got a whole pig today!!!

Any advice+recipe on what I chould cook tonight?

I was thinking on giving the head a try (as my wife would touch that and shes away atm) .... maybe the trotters?

Speaking of pizzas on the braai- I once spent a month 4x4ing the Gamadulas with a chap who was born in Florence; he used to make pizza/bread dough in the morning, let it rise in the car as we drove and then for lunch had one of those mini rectangular flat braais that he cooked them on- what amazed me was how he would take a beer box and line it with foil [with a few ventalation holes] and turn the braai into an oven! He always carried a pizza stone.

He would roll the pizzas SUPER thin with a castle milkstout bottle :clap: man was a genius...

To make the sauce he would take a few cloves of garlic, half a diced onion, some mixed herbs, some oil and some seasoning and wrap it in a fair bit of foil. He'd then chuck the whole thing in the fire to roast. Then he'd take a tin of tomatoes [a biggish one] cut up the tomatoes in the tin with a scissors, add the garlic/onions and put the whole tin over the fire to simmer [he used to say "it's-a ready only when-a de label burns off " :P] then he'd use a potato masher to make the sauce perfect for the pizza

Ahh good times...

Love stories like this :thumbup:

So I got a whole pig today!!!

Any advice+recipe on what I chould cook tonight?

I was thinking on giving the head a try (as my wife would touch that and shes away atm) .... maybe the trotters?

Pork belly with apple jelly and roasted veg....