Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. It's just for caramelization and presentation that the sides are seared.

Only way to regulate juices is the way you cook it ie time and temp.

And of you're using briquettes to sear, you're doing it wrong. Rather use charcoal.

Exactly. Any improvements in flavour brought about by searing is lost in the taste of charcoal smoke

Mr E. Maybe it's time for a long overdue show of culinary skills at our place. And I'll get K to make some of her real show-off home made chocolate truffles.

now that's a great idea. plus you have that whisky collection you were bragging about a while back.

now that's a great idea. plus you have that whisky collection you were bragging about a while back.

PM sent

Does anyone have a killer Mac and cheese recipe?

Fry off bacon (or bacon flavoured veg equivalent if you're a veggie / Muslim) diced onions, cherry tomatoes & mushrooms in butter. Bacon and onions first, then cherry tomatoes then mushrooms. Add salt & pepper & oregano & basil to taste.

Once cooked, add flour, stir until combined (no clumps) and then add milk & pamesan cheese (don't bother about creating a separate white sauce, this is far easier and more mess-friendly) until you have your sauce. There must be quite a lot.

In the meantime, cook your macaroni to just less than al dente (must still ahve a bit of a "bite" to it) and once cooked, drain and combine with the sauce.

Pour into an oven dish and top with a small amount of grated white mature cheddar and mozzarella.

Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese has become a lekker golden brown colour. The pasta would have cooked even more in the oven, which is why you must undercook it initially.

Serve with liberal amounts of tomato sauce or mayo.

Fry off bacon (or bacon flavoured veg equivalent if you're a veggie / Muslim) diced onions, cherry tomatoes & mushrooms in butter. Bacon and onions first, then cherry tomatoes then mushrooms. Add salt & pepper & oregano & basil to taste.

Once cooked, add flour, stir until combined (no clumps) and then add milk & pamesan cheese (don't bother about creating a separate white sauce, this is far easier and more mess-friendly) until you have your sauce. There must be quite a lot.

In the meantime, cook your macaroni to just less than al dente (must still ahve a bit of a "bite" to it) and once cooked, drain and combine with the sauce.

Pour into an oven dish and top with a small amount of grated white mature cheddar and mozzarella.

Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese has become a lekker golden brown colour. The pasta would have cooked even more in the oven, which is why you must undercook it initially.

Serve with liberal amounts of tomato sauce or mayo.

No man mayhem!! Tomato sauce on any food other than chips will be seriously frowned upon. :eek:

No man mayhem!! Tomato sauce on any food other than chips will be seriously frowned upon. :eek:

Agreed - except that mayo goes onto chips. Not tom sauce.

And I'm not a big chutney fan either. i find it too sweet and the sweetness dominates - even in curries.

Philistines

The only thing that goes with chips is brown vinegar and salt....preferably served with home made fish cakes made with the left overs from that yellow tail or snoek braai and hot pickled onions on the side

HAHA! Fair enough, to each his own.

Personally I like tom sauce with burgers, wors rolls, mac and cheese and a couple of others. Prefer mayo with chips.