Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

ok all you clever cookies - what is the best way to peel a boiled egg so that you don't waste half the egg. Tried the dunking in ice water, which is what the great interweb says, but that doesn't work.

Yesterday - boiled eggs and allowed them to cool at room temperature.

Today boiled eggs and dunked them in ice water.

Same result - half the egg in the bin. :cursing:

Have you ever watched Angel Heart? If not, Louis Cyphre - played by De Niro - gives a masterclass in how to peel an egg. Look for  it on YouToob.

Louis Cyphre: You know, some religions think that the egg is the symbol of the soul, did you know that? 

Harry Angel: No, I didn't know that. 

Louis Cyphre: Would you like an egg? 

Harry Angel: No thank you, I got a thing about chickens. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All that comes to mind with Angel Heart is Bill Cosby's daughter. :whistling:

And the chicken? Or was that the uncut version...?

Ja, Lisa Bonet... :wub:

Is she still married to that Lenny fellow?

Edited by Tumbleweed

And the chicken? Or was that the uncut version...?

Ja, Lisa Bonet... :wub:

Is she still married to that Lenny fellow?

Lenny Henry?

I'm usually not THIS honest, but for those of you who collect their own wild mushrooms in Cape Town, this is a heads up. There are some Boletus Edulis currently on the mountain, a bit late, with the very dry and cold winter that we had, but they are there for those who know what to look for and don't mind searching what is left of the pine forests. (Note that this is not for you unless you know exactly what you are doing!)

I'm usually not THIS honest, but for those of you who collect their own wild mushrooms in Cape Town, this is a heads up. There are some Boletus Edulis currently on the mountain, a bit late, with the very dry and cold winter that we had, but they are there for those who know what to look for and don't mind searching what is left of the pine forests. (Note that this is not for you unless you know exactly what you are doing!)

Been wanting to collect mushrooms for a while now. But dont know what etc. 

Might just collect a whole lot of magic shrooms

Been wanting to collect mushrooms for a while now. But dont know what etc. 

Might just collect a whole lot of magic shrooms

It's not rocket science, but you need to learn from someone who you trust with your life! You start by learning to collect just 1 or 2 species that are very unique and with which you cannot really go wrong. Boletus Edulis is one of those. You then pick those and ignore everything else. Then you slowly add species and always get an expert to co-identify them. I pick only 4 species and stick to those. Being an adventurous mushroom collector is a sure ticket to die young! 

Close to where we were looking on Sunday?

Help me out please guys.

I know that using in fork ( 2 toothed type) is no no on teflon. But can I use it on enamel coated pots? I always use it when I cook in cast iron. But a bit worried about my wifes prized red pot.

Edited by mulmi

No. Don't. It's tough, but the surface WILL wear down. Mine has over the last 6 years (Le Creuset 24cm pot) and will likely have to go for a re-coating within the next 4 or 5 years. 

Use bamboo / wood / nylon / silicone ONLY.