Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

The one I use.

* 1 cup Jack Daniel's Whiskey
    * 1 cup tomato sauce (wellington's work well for me)
    * 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (I use treacle sugar)
    * 1/4 cup vinegar (plain old spirit vinegar is fine)
    * 1 tablespoon lemon juice
    * 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    * 3 cloves garlic, minced (I normally use crushed garlic from a tub)
    * 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    * salt and pepper to taste

It's runny, but firms up if left in the fridge for a day or two. Awesome on ribs, good on veggies, good on chicken (at the risk of repeating myself) and ok on red meat that's braaied.

Great, will give it a try. Thanks so much.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fired up the Weber Smokey Mountain this weekend. Ended up making pork butt, 4 chickens, some smoked boerewors as well as my own creation, choinkrooms (button mushrooms filled with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon, smothered in home-made Jack Daniels glaze and smoked for 2.5 hours)

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2017-02-20 at 09.43.11.jpeg

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2017-02-20 at 09.43.12 (1).jpeg

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2017-02-20 at 10.32.30 (1).jpeg

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2017-02-20 at 10.32.30 (2).jpeg

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2017-02-20 at 10.32.30.jpeg

That looks delicious.

Pantsboy - my Weber is due for replacement. Can the WSM be used as a normal Weber if you are not smoking

Yes - you can just put the middle part aside, then have a short legged weber. But they are farking expensive, looking at R6000 - R7000 now. I bought mine from a Builder's Warehouse 'old stock' table for R700

Yes - you can just put the middle part aside, then have a short legged weber. But they are farking expensive, looking at R6000 - R7000 now. I bought mine from a Builder's Warehouse 'old stock' table for R700

R4700 on loot.co.za for a 47cm

• 2 months later...

Cooked pork belly ribs last night in the oven. Marinaded for about 2 hours, then low and slow in the oven (about 3 hours at 140, covered in foil).

Quite happy - now I just have to learn how to get the crackling right.

http://i.imgur.com/9a3aSsx.jpg

I find that the best crackling is achieved if you take it off the belly first, and place it on a roasting rack above  atray... perfect every time. 

But. For on the belly, seal it off in a pan first (skin side down) for about 10 minutes. Then put in the oven as per normal, and for the last 30 min whack the temp up to max. Obvs not coated in foil. Oh. Lots of salt on the skin. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Cooked pork belly ribs last night in the oven. Marinaded for about 2 hours, then low and slow in the oven (about 3 hours at 140, covered in foil).

I do Pork belly quite often. Season well and then seal the meat in a pan on the stove at very high heat. i have a double oven so I put it in the bottom at 150 for around 4 hours. When it's been in for about 3h40min I switch the other oven on max heat on the grill setting and then transfer the belly uncovered to the top for about 10 min. Nice crackling and succulent tender meat. Remember that pork belly has a very high fat content so it's not easy to dry it out and 10 min at max heat is too short for the temp to penetrate the meat and dry it out.

I made a Nasi Goreng last night. Quite stoked with the outcome, considering its first Indo meal I've made. Cooked for some Dutch people. It was a roaring success.

I also enjoy cooking a pork belly. Have experimented quite a bit with various ways of getting the crackling just right.

The one that I've found to work the best, requires a bit of elbow grease but goes as follows: Pat dry the skin and then pierce (quite literally) hundreds of holes through the skin, but not into the meat. Use a thin skewer. I've found that making close-together scores vertically from one end to the other works as well. 

Then you place the belly on a sheet of heavy-duty foil, big enough to allow you to fold up the sides, covering the meat but leaving the skin open. Pack onto the skin a 1cm layer of course salt and pop it into the oven at 180 for 3 hours.

Take it out, scrape off the salt and take off the foil. Put your oven on grill and finish the belly underneath for another few mins. Just be sure to keep an eye on it at this stage.

I also enjoy cooking a pork belly. Have experimented quite a bit with various ways of getting the crackling just right.

The one that I've found to work the best, requires a bit of elbow grease but goes as follows: Pat dry the skin and then pierce (quite literally) hundreds of holes through the skin, but not into the meat. Use a thin skewer. I've found that making close-together scores vertically from one end to the other works as well. 

Then you place the belly on a sheet of heavy-duty foil, big enough to allow you to fold up the sides, covering the meat but leaving the skin open. Pack onto the skin a 1cm layer of course salt and pop it into the oven at 180 for 3 hours.

Take it out, scrape off the salt and take off the foil. Put your oven on grill and finish the belly underneath for another few mins. Just be sure to keep an eye on it at this stage.

try pouring boiling water over the skin after you have pierced or scored it. it opens up the holes / cuts nicely and tightens the skin. this is a Rick Stein trick and it works very well.

try pouring boiling water over the skin after you have pierced or scored it. it opens up the holes / cuts nicely and tightens the skin. this is a Rick Stein trick and it works very well.

Gotta love Rick Stein! Missed an opportunity to go to his The Seafood Restaurant last year  :mellow:

Anybody have a quick and easy pizza dough recipe? I don't have a blender or something like that so will have to mix it by hand, and I prefer grilling and frying to baking so simple and straightforward would be appreciated.

I tried the shake and bake one, with self-rising flour, and the other one with yogurt - but they both gave me heartburn. So I want to try a recipe without self-rising flour and see if that helps. There are quite a few on the internet, and most of them seem similar, but I'm specifically looking for one that will give me a thin, crispy crust.

Anybody have a quick and easy pizza dough recipe? I don't have a blender or something like that so will have to mix it by hand, and I prefer grilling and frying to baking so simple and straightforward would be appreciated.

I tried the shake and bake one, with self-rising flour, and the other one with yogurt - but they both gave me heartburn. So I want to try a recipe without self-rising flour and see if that helps. There are quite a few on the internet, and most of them seem similar, but I'm specifically looking for one that will give me a thin, crispy crust.

I have the perfect recipe for a thin, crispy crust, but it's at home, so I'll have to post it later

I have the perfect recipe for a thin, crispy crust, but it's at home, so I'll have to post it later

Thank you!