Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any tips? My sister brought us a skaapboud (included bread to give an idea of the size). We are thinking low and slow in the oven, with a lot of lemon, garlic and maybe some thyme.

kAmVNrV.jpg

Take two bottles of Knorr Italian salad dressing, in a oven pan. Cover the leg, and turn every hour. And go for 3-4hours.

Use the light, less oil.

If you don't like, send me a bill and I will replace.

Edited by CDK

Take two bottles of Knorr Italian salad dressing, in a oven pan. Cover the leg, and turn every hour. And go for 3-4hours.

Use the light, less oil.

If you don't like, send me a bill and I will replace.

that's interesting. I'll try that next time I do one!

Any tips? My sister brought us a skaapboud (included bread to give an idea of the size). We are thinking low and slow in the oven, with a lot of lemon, garlic and maybe some thyme.

kAmVNrV.jpg

How much does that weigh? I have 2 at home one weighs over 7kg and the other 8kg

How much does that weigh? I have 2 at home one weighs over 7kg and the other 8kg

Not a clue. Will see if I can find a scale somewhere.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I like the Greek style idea. Lots of lemon, garlic, olive oil and rosemary or thyme. Think I'll skip the red wine for now. Will leave that for next time. Add carrots, onions, etc, cover in foil...

Then, about 6 hours at 120?

I like the Greek style idea. Lots of lemon, garlic, olive oil and rosemary or thyme. Think I'll skip the red wine for now. Will leave that for next time. Add carrots, onions, etc, cover in foil...

Then, about 6 hours at 120?

Lower than that, or less time than that. IMO.

Lower than that, or less time than that. IMO.

It's pretty big. You think that will do it? I read one tannie said she puts it in an oven at 100 overnight, which is why I thought maybe shorten the time to 6 hours and push it up to 120.

It's pretty big. You think that will do it? I read one tannie said she puts it in an oven at 100 overnight, which is why I thought maybe shorten the time to 6 hours and push it up to 120.

How big? And yeah 120 for 6 hours will get it pretty darn cooked unless it's absolutely massive. . It'll be tender if you foil it properly, but imo it's too long. Edited by Myles Mayhew

How big? And yeah 120 for 6 hours will get it pretty darn cooked. It'll be tender if you foil it properly, but imo it's too long.

Not sure about the weight. As you can see (compared to the loaf of bread) it's big enough that it won't leave a lot of space fitting into the oven. Since it's on the bone and we're planning to add a lot of lemon juice and olive oil, plus sealing it with foil, I hope it will cook tender without drying out.

My boss says she prefers a baking bag rather than the tinfoil,because she likes to see what is happening without having to open it. Not that I know how to do it, just passing on hearsay. 

Not sure about the weight. As you can see (compared to the loaf of bread) it's big enough that it won't leave a lot of space fitting into the oven. Since it's on the bone and we're planning to add a lot of lemon juice and olive oil, plus sealing it with foil, I hope it will cook tender without drying out.

Cool. Let us know how it goes!