Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

If you can go all out on a set of decent knives it is something you just wont regret (and they are useful for defending yourself when the wife finds out just how much you spent on them).

See them as a lifetime investment.

For what its worth I dislike Global, I prefer Wusthof and a more traditional feel to a knife, also Global are massively over priced on the back of being a bit trendy.

Have a look here and tell me you don't want...

http://www.wuesthof.com/international/products/index-3.jsp

yeha, it's a case of buying one at a time!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeha, it's a case of buying one at a time!

Wusthof knives are amazing if you know how to look after them, and are prepared to do so.

High carbon Solingen steel needs to be maintained. The blades need to be set, and sharpened fastidiously.

I bought my Global knives when I ran a busy kitchen in London at an awesome price.

They hold an edge well and performed flawlessly over many years. I agree they are vastly overpriced here.

I took to using Chinese knives (they look like cleavers) about 5 years ago - I have four different sizes: small to very large. With these you never need any other cutting implement.

Locally, though, for traditional knives, I would suggest the Victorinox range. Nicely balanced, tried and tested. Solid and dependable. They lack the romance of Wusthof, but are perfect for what they are designed to do.

My toolbox now has a mixture of knives built up over 25yrs in busy kitchens, comprising no-name chinese, Wusthof trident, Global and Victorinox. My wife does not understand my devotion to them. I guess that's what you get from countless prep marathons, butchering, filleting and general use: trust.

Wusthof knives are amazing if you know how to look after them, and are prepared to do so.

High carbon Solingen steel needs to be maintained. The blades need to be set, and sharpened fastidiously.

I bought my Global knives when I ran a busy kitchen in London at an awesome price.

They hold an edge well and performed flawlessly over many years. I agree they are vastly overpriced here.

I took to using Chinese knives (they look like cleavers) about 5 years ago - I have four different sizes: small to very large. With these you never need any other cutting implement.

Locally, though, for traditional knives, I would suggest the Victorinox range. Nicely balanced, tried and tested. Solid and dependable. They lack the romance of Wusthof, but are perfect for what they are designed to do.

My toolbox now has a mixture of knives built up over 25yrs in busy kitchens, comprising no-name chinese, Wusthof trident, Global and Victorinox. My wife does not understand my devotion to them. I guess that's what you get from countless prep marathons, butchering, filleting and general use: trust.

How good are the victorinox at holding an edge? I use a whetstone, and also have a sharpening steel (more to just get rid of the burrs) but the Scanpan has a horrible edge to it. 

How good are the victorinox at holding an edge? I use a whetstone, and also have a sharpening steel (more to just get rid of the burrs) but the Scanpan has a horrible edge to it.

They are at a level or so above the Scanpan but below the Wusthof & Global.

Not something I would choose if the other alternatives are available to you.

That said they aren't bad, should last a while and are reasonably weighted.

Victorinox are solid, dependable and totally predictable knives.

Sharpen after every use - they will be fine.

Never buy knives on looks alone. 

If you are experienced with knives, you can hear by the sound of the blade on the steel whether it is any good.

• 1 month later...

These things. Made them for NYE braai, and I have to say that they were DEELICIOUS.

Pineapple rings. Streaky Bacon. Mozzarella. Onions.

You need good bacon, otherwise it'll just fal apart on the braai / when you turn them in the oven. But essentially - you cut your onion into rings. Place a ring around each pineapple ring, then place mozzarella sticks / slices inside the ring, on top of the pineapple. Wrap in streaky bacon (thick cut), then braai and enjoy.

OH MY GOD.

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/wp-content/uploads/90_DSC_0033.jpg

Where did you get that?

Looks awesome.

It's available from Kalahari, and was also on shelf in Exclusive Books