Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

I doubt it, those oysters are the best part of the chicken.

Delicacy on the chicken I believe, its that little piece of meat that sits in that bowl shaped bone in the chicken thigh, or am I wrong...quite strong taste

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i always have the parsons nose - we always called it the popes nose as kids. i have never cut anything off it and never had a bitter one. must be done at the abbatoir? same with leg of lamb. you must be referring to the okes that 'slag' their own meat.

Next time cut it in half before you cook it it. cut it off the chicken, turn it sideways so the "point" is facing left or right and cut then open and you will see the two round glands....

Edited by Neg

When making macaroni & cheese, instead of going through the palavah of making a white sauce in a different pot and then adding it to the mac & bacon / tomato / onion & herb mix, and dirtying ANOTHER piece of kit, I just fry off the bacon, onions, garlic, tomatoes & herbs on a medium-high heat, then when they're all cooked throw in a couple of spoons of flour (whichever one you prefer) stir it through the cooked goedes and then add your knobbetjie of butter and your milk to bring the "sauce" together.

I then add the cooked macaroni (slightly on the undercooked side of al dente please, it's still going to cook in the oven) to the meat / sauce mix, stir through so that the mixture is combined, then transfer to a oven dish and grate some cheese on the top.

Far easier and quicker than making a separate roux for JUST some white sauce.

No we're talking!

Okay, here's another culinary question…braaiing with wood or charcoal?

I only ever use some form of Namibian hardwood like Kameeldoring or sekelbos - or my trusted Weber Genesis gas braai. But NEVER charcoal ... :whistling:

For those of us on the LCHF diet and who enjoy yoghurt - Homenade double cream joghurt:

Take 2 litres of full cream milk. Add about 100 ml cream. (the more you add the thicker the yoghurt becomes. Experiment till you find what suits you). Boil to kill any bacteria. Allow to cool until it reaches the temp of a hot bath. Add a cup of ready made youghurt (homemade or greek) and mix. Pour into a sterilised thermos flask (i.e. rinsed with boiling water). Let it stand for 10 hours. Done. Pour into a container and refrigirate.

You will not believe how much nicer this is than store bought youghurt. For a treat add a couple of spoons of good momenade jam to a bowl of the yoghurt.

I doubt it, those oysters are the best part of the chicken.

Delicacy on the chicken I believe, its that little piece of meat that sits in that bowl shaped bone in the chicken thigh, or am I wrong...quite strong taste

Ja, one of my fave bits!

For those of us on the LCHF diet and who enjoy yoghurt - Homenade double cream joghurt:

Take 2 litres of full cream milk. Add about 100 ml cream. (the more you add the thicker the yoghurt becomes. Experiment till you find what suits you). Boil to kill any bacteria. Allow to cool until it reaches the temp of a hot bath. Add a cup of ready made youghurt (homemade or greek) and mix. Pour into a sterilised thermos flask (i.e. rinsed with boiling water). Let it stand for 10 hours. Done. Pour into a container and refrigirate.

You will not believe how much nicer this is than store bought youghurt. For a treat add a couple of spoons of good momenade jam to a bowl of the yoghurt.

Good stuff

Anyone made ice cream here, or have an ice cream machine...dropping hints to the wife for father's day.

Can you make sorbets in them?

lekker easy healthy pre/post/during ride snack:

1 cup peanut butter

1/2 cup honey

1 egg

1/2 tsp baking soda

Mix all together until smooth.

Place in flattish dish (spray & cook of course) and bake in oven at 175 deg C for about 20 to 25min.

Cut into squares.

Ja, they take care to pic old pieces that have fallen off the trees.

I buy my wood from a Namibian hardwood distributor here in Cape Town, and have to admit that I do worry about the sustainability of using kameeldoring or sekelbos. Even if picked up off the ground (for which some folks have a permit), I'm sure it has a negative impact on the biodiversity of the area. But hey, I have two solar geysers to numb my conscience and keep my braai passion alive.

No we're talking!

Okay, here's another culinary question…braaiing with wood or charcoal?

for us capies it's rooikrans all the way. not as good as kameeldoring but a lot cheaper and there is so much of the stuff around the okes can't chop it down fast enough. plus it's an alien, so no guilt.

Back to the Weber…when I do a lamb roast in it, I soak loads of sprigs of rosemary in a bucket of water and put them on the "indirect" coals during cooking.

Should add lekker flavour....or use rosemary sticks as skewers for lamb kebabs...old trick, but looks rustic and adds something extra

for us capies it's rooikrans all the way. not as good as kameeldoring but a lot cheaper and there is so much of the stuff around the okes can't chop it down fast enough. plus it's an alien, so no guilt.

When I use my braai, wood all the way. When I use the weber, briquettes are the only way.

When I braai at a mate's place, it's whatever they have. My godmother has a fire pit though, and using anything but a combo of wood AND briquettes is asking for disaster. Just doesn't have enough airflow...