Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

People braai on briquettes that HAVEN'T burnt through!?

I do often. I only braai on a very hot fire. It means that you have to turn much more often, but it sears so much better and traps in the juices.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do often. I only braai on a very hot fire. It means that you have to turn much more often, but it sears so much better and traps in the juices.

Don't.... that briquette glue spoils the taste....coals must be white everywhere. Rather get a braai where you can adjust the height of the grid if you want to hot, medium, cold fire

Edited by rouxtjie

I shall try. How does charcoal react in the low n slow type of cooking for a roast?

Try cooking "next to" the fire, as opposed to the conventional "on top of" the fire method. Like they do with Brazilian barbecues. Two advantages: 1) indirect heat, and 2) the fat doesn't drip onto the fire and flame.

post-8720-0-18405600-1370937141_thumb.jpg

post-8720-0-21975400-1370937153_thumb.jpg

Guest Latent Blue

Pork belly with apple jelly and roasted veg....

I want to save the belly for when my wife is home.... or should I?:blink::unsure:

Try cooking "next to" the fire, as opposed to the conventional "on top of" the fire method. Like they do with Brazilian barbecues. Two advantages: 1) indirect heat, and 2) the fat doesn't drip onto the fire and flame.

I have things like that for the Weber for mielies.

post-1604-0-35215300-1370937357_thumb.jpg

show off

Mr E. Maybe it's time for a long overdue show of culinary skills at our place. And I'll get K to make some of her real show-off home made chocolate truffles.

post-8720-0-18405600-1370937141_thumb.jpg

post-8720-0-21975400-1370937153_thumb.jpg

That's what I do for roasts, mango. I was speaking specifically to the ability of charcoal to last as long as briquettes, thereby allowing one to cap the weber and leave it for 2 plus hours depending on the roast.

With briquettes, only a bad batch will ruin the chances of it working. With coal, it simply doesn't last as long as briquettes, thereby limiting the ability to cook a roast in the weber.

That's what I do for roasts, mango. I was speaking specifically to the ability of charcoal to last as long as briquettes, thereby allowing one to cap the weber and leave it for 2 plus hours depending on the roast.

With briquettes, only a bad batch will ruin the chances of it working. With coal, it simply doesn't last as long as briquettes, thereby limiting the ability to cook a roast in the weber.

Ah, got it. Missed the weber bit. I never used charcoal in the weber braai - only briquettes.

Mr E. Maybe it's time for a long overdue show of culinary skills at our place. And I'll get K to make some of her real show-off home made chocolate truffles.

Here's photos she took of some of the truffles she made - using only Belgian and Lindt couverture chocolate. To die for - with the most decadent fillings.

post-8720-0-38308500-1370938357_thumb.jpeg

post-8720-0-73001500-1370938371_thumb.jpeg

post-8720-0-49020500-1370938394_thumb.jpeg

post-8720-0-17431200-1370938427_thumb.jpeg

According to a couple of guys on the cooking channel - including gordon ramsay, its a myth that searing traps in the juices. It caramalises the sugars on the meat giving flavour, but has no effect on the juices.

According to a couple of guys on the cooking channel - including gordon ramsay, its a myth that searing traps in the juices. It caramalises the sugars on the meat giving flavour, but has no effect on the juices.

Indeed. It's just for caramelization and presentation that the sides are seared.

Only way to regulate juices is the way you cook it ie time and temp.

And of you're using briquettes to sear, you're doing it wrong. Rather use charcoal.