Creecking noise

Heel Drop

I have this flippen creecking noise that I hear when I peddle . This started after I a major service at my LBS .Been fedup with them I took it to another shop after a long ride on the weekend from which the noise increased significantly . I though it may be the BB so I took it to another shop saying that I think its he BB

I got it back and being in a hurry(not checking) took it home just to find the creecking noise is still there even though my BB was serviced .

What else can it be ? I am getting gatvol of taking my bike to a bike shop just to get it back with the same issue . I don't want to take it back to any shop .Its like a doc they fix what they think it is and if it does not work ( and you have paid ) then they try something else.

I want a mechanic that knows a bike and can look for a problem and fix it .

It must be something to do with the BB or the arms of the front chainrings since this is where the noise comes from , but I cannot put my finger on it

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Places creeks often appear

saddle bolts and rails holding saddle to post...quick and easy, undo bolts, clean, drop of oil...put back

seatpost...remove, clean..bit of oil..put back

BB...undo bolts and BB cups...clean, grease put back

By quick elimination of the above jobs(10 min each max) you will probably solve the problem and lube other parts in one swift blow

Edited by rouxtjie

Start at a point . By taking everything appart and oiling and greasing every little bit you will most probably make the noise go away but will never know what caused it .

I know the seat does have a noise and the creecking noise I hear happens when I stand and peddle - so I don't think its the SEAT - although I need to lube it anyway.

Maybe the crank bolts - will check that .

If my BB was just serviced all that should be lubed and eliminates that as a possibility correct?

Check your quick release on your back wheel

By checking meaning undo , redo no lube here that could be disastrous

I know the seat does have a noise and the creecking noise I hear happens when I stand and peddle - so I don't think its the SEAT - although I need to lube it anyway.

If my BB was just serviced all that should be lubed and eliminates that as a possibility correct?

Did they replace the BB? How did they "service" it considering it uses sealed cartridge bearings most probably?

Did they replace the BB? How did they "service" it considering it uses sealed cartridge bearings most probably?

I assume opened cleaned , checked and should have picked up if it needs replacing ?

Chainring bolts or peddle axles.

Hardtail?

It could also be your pedal bearings. I had some that drove me insane!

how do you eliminate this as a possibility , put new pedals in? Maybe take the pedals out and peddle on the arms to see if the noise persist?

Is it a constant creak when you push both drive and non drive side? just one side? Try eliminate bits where it could be coming from - Dirt in the bb seals ,loose chainring bolts and skewers maybe?

Edited by Audible Anarchy