CSA / PPA. The Heat is on

madmarc

PPA has a right to independance since it is a recognised brand. Asking PPA to fall in line with CSA is like asking Pepsi to take over Coke because its too successful and then sell Coke products as Pepsi.

The Coke brand is gone and everyone buys Pepsi. Theres no choice for the consumer which is firstly unconstitutional and you now have a poorly managed entity overseeing a better managed entity. Everyone looses.

CSA has made gains elsewhere because te PPA associations in those regions were weak

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

R 75.00 a year... ? Most of you drink that in alcohol in less than an hour.

What does the PPA charge per year ?

Peter Pan...

PPA has a right to independance since it is a recognised brand.

No it does not. Like it or not ALL sport is regulated by a governing body in this country and therefore sport must adhere to that. What makes cycling special that they must not follow the same rules and procedures that athletics, soccer, rugby etc etc have to follow. Constitutionally, the sport must be run through bodies represented by provincial boundaries. PPA can still exist in its current form, except it must act as a club under WPCA - simple...i really dont see their problem

And therein lies the problem. PPA does f-all for me outside the Western Cape, but now they go an raise an application in the high court which is going to cost me (as a CSA member money).

On the other hand, what do i see for my R75 from CSA? I see them at every race I partake in spending 4+ hours to make sure that the results are correct, there has been no cheating, people who have had an accident are helped and in general the rules are followed. I see them organising provincial and national d'h and Xc races, which is ultimately promoting the sport, and I see them lobbying for and helping bring the World cup and World champs to this country. For R75 that looks like a good bargain to me.

They do ? Strange that every other race I have done that not sanctioned by them I got the same service . What wil ultimately promote the "sport" is if we got places to cycle safely , got cycle lanes , items that is not on the CSA list at all . They really don't care at all about the recreational (funrider) cyclist . And besides all the services CSA gives us they also the reason why entry fees are so high . Go and look what they take at the events they sanction . So it is not just about the R75.00 . But wait I hear people say but they promote the sport by looking after our pro riders . A while back a list made the rounds here from a cyclist trying to get money to participate in a international event . CSA could not sponsor him because he was from a disadvantaged group . BS !!

No it does not. Like it or not ALL sport is regulated by a governing body in this country and therefore sport must adhere to that. What makes cycling special that they must not follow the same rules and procedures that athletics, soccer, rugby etc etc have to follow. Constitutionally, the sport must be run through bodies represented by provincial boundaries. PPA can still exist in its current form, except it must act as a club under WPCA - simple...i really dont see their problem

Well CSA been making a mess of most everything they tried so why don't we then rather make PPA the cycling body and CSA can become the club ?

So how is PPA different than a golf club membership. Amateurs get the chance to play on the course and compete against each other. Another system in place if you want to take it to provincial, national or professional level.

They do ? Strange that every other race I have done that not sanctioned by them I got the same service . What wil ultimately promote the "sport" is if we got places to cycle safely , got cycle lanes , items that is not on the CSA list at all . They really don't care at all about the recreational (funrider) cyclist . And besides all the services CSA gives us they also the reason why entry fees are so high . Go and look what they take at the events they sanction . So it is not just about the R75.00 . But wait I hear people say but they promote the sport by looking after our pro riders . A while back a list made the rounds here from a cyclist trying to get money to participate in a international event . CSA could not sponsor him because he was from a disadvantaged group . BS !!

interesting because, I am a fun-rider/recreational cyclist. To me by raising the awareness of cycling through bringing international events and national events is ultimately helping me. A greater appreciation of the sport will result in a greater respect for the rider. Yes, CSA could help by promoting the concept of cycling lanes to the municipalities, but ultimately that is the responsibility of the municipalities.

Secondly, the fee that race orgainsers pay to have a sanctioned event (R3 per rider or whatever it is) is to ensure that the race is sanctioned and according to international rules, To make sure the race is placed on the calendar so that it does not compete with similar events etc etc

answer me this - what does PPA do nationally to promote the sport?

bowel cancer or lung cancer indeed.

So let's be ridiculous, by actually looking at what the endgame is here. UCI and then by extension CSA want control over everything that is a race on bicycles? Would that include the tiny tots 1km pre argus race at the waterfront, or do you draw the line somewhere higher?

So how is PPA different than a golf club membership. Amateurs get the chance to play on the course and compete against each other. Another system in place if you want to take it to provincial, national or professional level.

I am trying to understand this but it makes no sense at all

interesting because, I am a fun-rider/recreational cyclist. To me by raising the awareness of cycling through bringing international events and national events is ultimately helping me. A greater appreciation of the sport will result in a greater respect for the rider. Yes, CSA could help by promoting the concept of cycling lanes to the municipalities, but ultimately that is the responsibility of the municipalities.

Secondly, the fee that race orgainsers pay to have a sanctioned event (R3 per rider or whatever it is) is to ensure that the race is sanctioned and according to international rules, To make sure the race is placed on the calendar so that it does not compete with similar events etc etc

You are right , they are not a national body and does not really do anything for us poor gautengers but neither does CSA . So why and go and try and break something that work for the people in slaapstad ? We all the know the answer to that , MONEY !!!!! It is very sad that you think that safe cycling should be the resposibility of the munisipalities of this country !!

Why must they??? - it is a Cape Town club. I am sure you have clubs in KZN that should look after you?

I am trying to understand this but it makes no sense at all

Debate is about PPA and CSA. Am trying to say PPA is a club in the Western Cape, nothing else. Compare that to a golf club or any other sport club and see what they do for their sport.

Am playing devils advocate to a large extent, but just see a successful organisation being targeted by a tarnished one and just wonder what the motivations are???

One golf body, one soccer body, one rugby body, one swimming body, one tennis body ..... admittedly all or mostly in a state of shambles. So one cycling body it ought to be to nurture the interests of the sport, whether that be professional, amateur, development, administration, etc. Whether that is then CSA or PPA, is an entirely different argument. And probably the crux of the pending court case.

Why must they??? - it is a Cape Town club. I am sure you have clubs in KZN that should look after you?

ok fair point, but the point i am raising is they dont want to be part of the National body - they want to be the provincial body and independent and by default not promoting the sport nationally

Well CSA been making a mess of most everything they tried so why don't we then rather make PPA the cycling body and CSA can become the club ?

YES , YES , YES, I AGREE. but they won't as they don't have the capacity to do it.

ppa have an exco (volunteers) just like the csa.

they have a full time office staff just like the csa (admin staff who don't know one end of the bike from the other)

they only operate in the cape, which means they would have to form regions (csa have this already(unpaid volunteers))

they don't have dedicated commissions ie road, track, bmx,mtb,paracycling (csa have this already(unpaid volunteers))