Tyre recommendation please.

Big Wheel Cycles

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the Maxxis IKONs that bad? I just bought a set off CWC whilst on special - should I question using them? I was on Conti's before and must admit that the IKONs tread looks a lot "smaller"

i have raced them all . and love the Ikons .

great tire , the peeps who complain about them dont know how to ride them :whistling:

Are the Maxxis IKONs that bad? I just bought a set off CWC whilst on special - should I question using them? I was on Conti's before and must admit that the IKONs tread looks a lot "smaller"

I also bought a set. At that price I had no choice really.

i have raced them all . and love the Ikons .

great tire , the peeps who complain about them dont know how to ride them :whistling:

Like I said I haven't tried them but the youngsters moaned about them

Remember the youngster that punctured on breedts ride? That was Ikon.

Like I said I haven't tried them but the youngsters moaned about them

Remember the youngster that punctured on breedts ride? That was Ikon.

Punchers happen on all tyres Oom . these kids of today , the moment they get a puncher then the tire is k@k .

Thank so much guys. Ralph's and Ron's seem to come up quite often so they are definitely on my list to try after the Fast Trak Control's.

I am running Maxies Ikon on the back with Conti mountain king wire on the front, perfect setup. I would prefer a cont X King at the back, but after my last experience with the X King think I will stay with IKon

The Ikon is a great tyre front or rear and similar to a Ralph but it will outlast a Ralph x3 especially if you do tar riding. For me I will choose an Ikon everytime for xc riding before any Conti or Geax.

Raceking back with nobbinick front .I had X- king in front previously Both are good ,but i was very happy with nobbynick in front during joberg2c .I wanted more traction and that is exactly what i got .There is always some compromize

Edited by Blitzer

Raceking back with nobbinick front .I had X- king in front previously Both are good ,but i was very happy with nobbynick in front during joberg2c .I wanted more traction and that is exactly what i got .There is always some compromize

Nic in snakeskin?

I have a Nobby Nics F & R. It's a bit slow at the back but great traction. For me an ideal combo would be Nobby Nic front, Rocket Ron back.

I had a RRalph on the back and it was ok until wear exceeded 50%, then it slipped and slid all over the place.

Edited by divernick

if you ride a 26er. the best tyre choice is the one that the LBS has in stock....

I cant recommend tyres in this thread, cus my setup is neither light nor fast rolling... but the enjoyment factor on the tight and twisties, is WAY up there.