2013 Trans Baviaans 24 hour - Questions

zafischerman

My first one has been relegated to the garage. Only the second one is allowed inside. And this was all decided by the wife on the car trip home!

I have no idea why I skipped 3 "Trans's". In my "prime", late 20's, I go and skip three of them back to back. Idiot. Could have had my 2nd "trophy" as well by now.

Edited by Azonic

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That tailwind really helped up neverender by that time I was running on empty and that hill at the end against the wind killed me luckily my partner could tow me a bit.

As I came into Kondomo saw you heading for Never Ender - you must have done a really good time??

Haha time for a new wife.....

I'd agree if she wasn't such a good backup. She really earned her stripes for the 8 minutes that we saw her.

As support this year I would say that the Pakhuis is much more spectator friendly and less of a schlep to drag little kiddies from car to viewing point than Kondomo - I also felt very sorry for the riders who got coated in dust every time a car went by as well. Just an observation and maybe something they could consider for next year??

What was the fastest speeds clocked by riders on some downhills

I checked 70kph on one downhill with tailwind and Im light some off the bigger riders must have flown.

I checked 70kph on one downhill with tailwind and Im light some off the bigger riders must have flown.

71.4km/h

As support this year I would say that the Pakhuis is much more spectator friendly and less of a schlep to drag little kiddies from car to viewing point than Kondomo - I also felt very sorry for the riders who got coated in dust every time a car went by as well. Just an observation and maybe something they could consider for next year??

valid point Jax. You would think that some of the seconds would consider the cyclists on the road seeing as they were assisting Cyclists all day. The one car left there with one massive speed for what reason I do not know but the dust didn't taste so great

How was that finishing stretch up to the Mall? A horrible climb into a biting gale. Dr Evil might just be loosing his reputation for k@k finishes to Wikus. And for the mid to back field guys - throw in some driving, icey rain and I'm surprised Wikus left JBay in one piece

How was that finishing stretch up to the Mall? A horrible climb into a biting gale. Dr Evil might just be loosing his reputation for k@k finishes to Wikus. And for the mid to back field guys - throw in some driving, icey rain and I'm surprised Wikus left JBay in one piece

I did not enjoy that last tar stretch AT ALL. I thought it would be a breeze. Was a breeze though, a hard and wet one. We still caught and passed three teams on the last tar section, but it SUCKED. Nothing quite like sprinting for 65th place :devil:

74.5 just after cp1

60odd somewhere on the downhill just before the climb to cp6.. But dark so not really keeping an eye on all that then.

I was so moer toe there I went the speed thats one step up from falling over.

No wonder my partner towed me in

valid point Jax. You would think that some of the seconds would consider the cyclists on the road seeing as they were assisting Cyclists all day. The one car left there with one massive speed for what reason I do not know but the dust didn't taste so great

We ate a lot of dust from vehicles but they all pulle dover when we came flying down the hill and I forgave them for the dust they kicked up . But the lack of food at some water points for the back markers was a bit of a dissapointment and should really be looked at . One think that I did find very disturbing was the people that manned the tables all told us what a sour and unfriendly bunch the first lot of riders where . The lovely old auntie that dished up the soup said they did not even thank her for the soup not asked the recipe !!! Not cool .

Jacques Marais was the official photographer, and I think the guy is an absolute legend. Do yourselves a favour and have a look on the Ecobound facebook page where the first batch of 20 or so images have been uploaded. They are great, but I cant get them onto here from this machine.

Was a tough one for me. We just had a kid,and sick 6 times since the Argus. My team mate was fit and strong. So neither riding at a comfortable pace. Slashed a sidewall coming down bav back. Gator, to the cp, and a new one bought at cp3, which was flat again in the 1st km. Checked for leaks back in water at smits. Pumped up harder, and a good grueling ride to finish. We finished around 15:06-15:08. Still buzzing on gu & go-go juice, etc that couldn't fall asleep for 2hrs after hitting the sack at 2:30

Was absolutely buggered all Sun.

Somehow we beat last yrs time by 30min...just with better route planning and slicker checkpoint stops.

I'll be at work tomorrow...but not sure how much work I'll be doing!

This was hard... Gonna have to go and do a redemption TransBav!

Edited by Bigmozzarella

74.5 just after cp1

60odd somewhere on the downhill just before the climb to cp6.. But dark so not really keeping an eye on all that then.

Also got 74.5km/h at around 57km in...