2013 Trans Baviaans 24 hour - Questions

zafischerman

Got mine 2 years ago. 3 more to go and I get my 2nd. :thumbup:

I have the very first part of the shield from 2004. Shield looked quite different back then

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wish I could follow my own advice regarding the food but I step into the same trap every year - even though my food wasn't that outlandish. Ate a few Salti-Crax for the salt content, small pack of jellybabies, raisins and peanuts. Still, I had to have my traditional purge on top of Bergplaas. Also felt better after that. I think it probably comes down to that food, PLUS liters of energy drink in your stomach. I think if you eat decently, water only should be fine.

Our actual riding time was 10:44, and the time at the finish was 12:26. So even though you think you are hustling it at the checkpoints, like we thought we did, you still spend over a hour and a half faffing...

Agree about the stopping. We also lost an hour with check points. If i do it again it will be box 1 then next box will be top of Mac (but only emergency stuff so we may not even use it) lights real food at 170km mark and then splash at last check point. The amount of stuff i have brought back from the boxes and check points will do another 2 baviaans races

Man, what an awesome ride :thumbup:

Loved every minute of it... our team was solid the whole way and we rode everything at a nice comfortable pace!

Just over 13.5hours for a team of three Trans-virgins was better than we had hoped - I do think the weather was near on perfect apart from maybe the last two hours when my face went numb from from the rain and wind :devil:

Very special event and part of the world - will definately go back for a few more!

Well done to everyone that rode - hope you all had a blast :clap:

Man, what an awesome ride :thumbup:

Loved every minute of it... our team was solid the whole way and we rode everything at a nice comfortable pace!

Just over 13.5hours for a team of three Trans-virgins was better than we had hoped - I do think the weather was near on perfect apart from maybe the last two hours when my face went numb from from the rain and wind :devil:

Very special event and part of the world - will definately go back for a few more!

Well done to everyone that rode - hope you all had a blast :clap:

Awesome Chunks, wish I had seen you at Kondomo - thought I maybe did but would have been wierd to go up and ask someone if they are Chunky!!!!! with helmuts, buffs and the dark it was so hard to recognise people. Well done on great time!

Agree about the stopping. We also lost an hour with check points. If i do it again it will be box 1 then next box will be top of Mac (but only emergency stuff so we may not even use it) lights real food at 170km mark and then splash at last check point. The amount of stuff i have brought back from the boxes and check points will do another 2 baviaans races

Good points really. Wouldn't ride getting lights at Komdomo only, its at least mostly downhill and flat to that point so taking that at Bergplaas isn't too much of a schlep. Quick surprised at how many guys took their lights at CP3 already - and then lugged them up the hill. We only needed to use lights maybe the last 5-10km before Komdomo. I pack a "snack pack" for each dropbox. At the finish on Sunday when collecting your stuff, I took 2 full packs home. So I just took 1 new snack pack. So you are right with taking too much food. You should be able to just grab a quick Coke and roosterbrood and be on the road in 1-2 minutes. Enough sugar and calories.

Awesome Chunks, wish I had seen you at Kondomo - thought I maybe did but would have been wierd to go up and ask someone if they are Chunky!!!!! with helmuts, buffs and the dark it was so hard to recognise people. Well done on great time!

Haha, it's hard enough finding your own team-mates with everyone dressed to the hilt... would have been good to meet you, that Ironman thing is definately speaking to me though, so might even be sooner than later.

Just uploaded my race to Strava: Moving time 12:27:54 and elapsed time of 16:43.42 (Super proud of myself and my partner) also shows you how much time we spent at checkpoints

Wow my acclimatising is better than I thought. Rode in short sleeves and bibs to Bergplaas. Got a bit cold at the start, but not unbearably so. Couldn't believe the amount of clothing some people were wearing. What would they do if it got really cold. I only got cold at the last two check points, but that was due to low energy levels.

This was my 2 nd Trans. The 1st one was in 2011 when we did Langs Baviaans. This one was really awesome. Did it with 2 great guys(Escapee being one of them) and both were very patient with me. Me and the Hills don't agree to much with each other but I eventually get to the top. We had a good day although that second Fang bit me hard and really killed me before attempting the MAC. I thought that i was going to quit the race when I got to the top of bergplaas. When in the Check point I lay down had a cup of coffee and Spoke to my wife and Kids who were waiting for me at Kondoma and that was all the motivation i needed to get going again. I was a new man after that and smiled for MOST of the way back, except never ender and the last Gravel climb before Jeffreys Bay. We finished in a time of 15;17 (17 min slower than planned)

This was my 2 nd Trans. The 1st one was in 2011 when we did Langs Baviaans. This one was really awesome. Did it with 2 great guys(Escapee being one of them) and both were very patient with me. Me and the Hills don't agree to much with each other but I eventually get to the top. We had a good day although that second Fang bit me hard and really killed me before attempting the MAC. I thought that i was going to quit the race when I got to the top of bergplaas. When in the Check point I lay down had a cup of coffee and Spoke to my wife and Kids who were waiting for me at Kondoma and that was all the motivation i needed to get going again. I was a new man after that and smiled for MOST of the way back, except never ender and the last Gravel climb before Jeffreys Bay. We finished in a time of 15;17 (17 min slower than planned)

You are Legend! and don't forget you took TWO hours off your last time.

Nice one Fabes, only minor suggestion I would make is to look at your carbo-loading before the race :P

This will get a special place at home.

Got mine 2 years ago. 3 more to go and I get my 2nd. :thumbup:

My first one has been relegated to the garage. Only the second one is allowed inside. And this was all decided by the wife on the car trip home!

My first one has been relegated to the garage. Only the second one is allowed inside. And this was all decided by the wife on the car trip home!

Haha time for a new wife.....

Good points really. Wouldn't ride getting lights at Komdomo only, its at least mostly downhill and flat to that point so taking that at Bergplaas isn't too much of a schlep. Quick surprised at how many guys took their lights at CP3 already - and then lugged them up the hill. We only needed to use lights maybe the last 5-10km before Komdomo. I pack a "snack pack" for each dropbox. At the finish on Sunday when collecting your stuff, I took 2 full packs home. So I just took 1 new snack pack. So you are right with taking too much food. You should be able to just grab a quick Coke and roosterbrood and be on the road in 1-2 minutes. Enough sugar and calories.

we only turned in lights the top of the never ender. We did have our helmet lights top of the Mac for the just in case.

Next year we will pack more goodies in our boxes and spend more time at the CP's . Thats where the race vibe is and where we meet people .

Great attitude to have :thumbup:

This isn't a 'race' as such for me either - we spent over two hours at the stops and thoroughly enjoyed all the food and vibe on the route. You obviously want to get it done as you fast as you can (because it's just moer far and long) but don't forget to smell the roses and have a good time out there...

Edited by ChunkyMunky Lite