2013 Trans Baviaans 24 hour - Questions

zafischerman

Jacques Marais was the official photographer, and I think the guy is an absolute legend. Do yourselves a favour and have a look on the Ecobound facebook page where the first batch of 20 or so images have been uploaded. They are great, but I cant get them onto here from this machine.

He even got some pics in the pub the night before :blush: :whistling:

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But the lack of food at some water points for the back markers was a bit of a dissapointment and should really be looked at . One think that I did find very disturbing was the people that manned the tables all told us what a sour and unfriendly bunch the first lot of riders where . The lovely old auntie that dished up the soup said they did not even thank her for the soup not asked the recipe !!! Not cool .

You're supposed to put your own food in your boxes. The food they provide is just a bonus.

I'm not defending the front guys - some of them can be quite rude, but don't confuse focussed and in a hurry with sour and unfriendly. Of all the volunteers providing support at Baviaans - the soup lady is my favourite. She's literally saved my life several times with that soup of hers. And I'm not usually a soup fan.

@Velo, are your tales yet updated with this ride ?

Getting there - I should have something tomorrow. It's almost more difficult doing the write up than it is doing the ride ;)

I stuck to my 6 beer rule :thumbup:

(With a couple Brandies to warm me up)

Never more than 6 in front of you at a time??

Never more than 6 in front of you at a time??

You really don't have a good (or accurate) impression of me... ask Fabes :blush:

Interesting stuff.

Do you mind me asking what your avg heart rate was ?

And do you know what your threshold heart rate is ?

How have you found training/racing when operating at higher intensities of 2 hours or more ?

My ave heart rate was 162, max 187. That was partly due to having a bit of a chest cold in the lead up to the race. I have also found that the high fat diet resulted in a higher heart rate in general. I have trained according to Maffetone principals and kept my heart rate in training below 145 (I am 41 years old). I got nervous about my prep 3 weeks before the race and started to do some anaerobic training with the only result that I got sick...

My lactic threshold was 168 before I started LCHF, it might be higher now, but I don't really care because I don't train close to that and only reach it when (infrequently) racing.

This was my first TB, what a flippen awesome experience! Much tougher than I thought it would be. Capable of way more than I thought I was. Only started really riding MTB in Jan this year after chowing burgers and chips and boozing for 12 years after school.

Came in at just under 16 hours, 2 hours less than we had hoped for so really chuffed with that. The rain smashing us sideways coming into JBay was fantastic. Wish it had snowed a bit.

Awesome vibe. The chow on the route was epic. Met some crazy/great people. Was way too over prepared for this race, ended up carting back tons of PVM bars and Gu. Done with that crap though, made me feel so sick by the time I got to the top of MAC. Switched to proper food and water, and kicked the rest of the race in the nuts!

I want my shield. :drool:

This years Trans Baviaans was my third one and did my best time yet.13h56min. It was also the year that I did the least amount of training and preparation due to numerous reasons. Just shows you that you are only as fast as the slowest rider in your team! Had a brilliant 4 man team (also a first for me) and we did not even once push our bikes up the climbs! Motivated each other and the joy of a four man team is that there was never a dull moment.

The rain and wind the last 30km was brutal and had me fighting within myself to stay focused. Thanks to all the support from the locals on the route, friendly people helping at the checkpoints and to the organizers, will be back next year for my fourth and this time I'm going for a sub 12 .

Love this event!

So who's going back?

I'm already missing the whole thing!

What an awesome event

I am definitely in for many more

I cant believe its over already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to the boring flat roads in JHB

Edited by Escapee..

What an awesome event

I am definitely in for many more

I cant believe its over already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to the boring flat roads in JHB

Also wish that we had that kind of riding terrain here in Bloem. On our way back yesterday we kept on saying that we wish we could ride up this pass, and that pass. :thumbup:

Arrived in JHB at 10pm last night and could already see the smog and dirt. Man wish i was on the Baviaan trails. Already started thinking there is a lot more time to be made so guess i am back next year :-)