Forget 29ers - there is a new 'bigger / better'

T-Bob

Friction Facts: Bigger pulleys really are more efficient

Among the pulleys tested were 13-tooth Shimano Dura-Ace 7700 (left), Berner's 13/15-tooth set (middle), and a pair of 15-tooth ones from RALTech (right).

Small power-saving differences detected between rear derailleur pulley wheels

This article originally published on BikeRadar

Pro road racers who use Berner's uniquely oversized rear derailleur cages have sworn time and again that they reduce drivetrain friction thanks to their humongous 15-tooth pulleys. Now, Jason Smith of Boulder-based lab Friction Facts has confirmed that claim with his own independent testing. Berner-equipped racers such as Fabian Cancellara, Edvald Boasson Hagen, Philippe Gilbert and others will be relieved to know that the advantage is genuinely there – but it's also pretty small at just 1.76 watts compared to a standard Shimano Dura-Ace setup.

Via cycling news

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/friction-facts-bigger-pulleys-really-are-more-efficient

• 11 months later...
Guest EdEdEd

Friction Facts: Bigger pulleys really are more efficient

Among the pulleys tested were 13-tooth Shimano Dura-Ace 7700 (left), Berner's 13/15-tooth set (middle), and a pair of 15-tooth ones from RALTech (right).

Small power-saving differences detected between rear derailleur pulley wheels

This article originally published on BikeRadar

Pro road racers who use Berner's uniquely oversized rear derailleur cages have sworn time and again that they reduce drivetrain friction thanks to their humongous 15-tooth pulleys. Now, Jason Smith of Boulder-based lab Friction Facts has confirmed that claim with his own independent testing. Berner-equipped racers such as Fabian Cancellara, Edvald Boasson Hagen, Philippe Gilbert and others will be relieved to know that the advantage is genuinely there – but it's also pretty small at just 1.76 watts compared to a standard Shimano Dura-Ace setup.

Via cycling news

http://www.cyclingne...-more-efficient

You need a bump?

You need a bump?

Cheers for the bump, I'd forgot about that bit of 'tech'... Wonder where I can get those big 15 toothers.

Guest EdEdEd

I hear they grow them 15 toothers in Tazzie, mate.

Tell me about the SPACESHIP!!! ?

Heard that plastic wheels are more efficient than sealed bearing aluminum wheels, like that of kcnc.

Anyone know the truth in this?

Guest EdEdEd

watch the Lego Movie and you'll understand

Ooh... Still need to do that!

1.76watts is a lot & free (well not exactly free but you'll have the advantage) if I had the means I'll do it too.

Edited by milky4130

It's like the Right chain & lube I read somewhere also on bike radar some time ago will also give you "free watts" by reducing friction.