Wines 2 Whales - 2013

Francois Pienaar

So its controlled i.e. i cant just walk up see that your Garmin is fully charged, unplug yours & plug mine in?

No. Linked to your race number, they give you a band, stand in line and wait till it's your turn type thing

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I run a 36X20 around Tokai for training. Sometimes put on a 34 for races. Think I will try and go 34X19 for next year. There was nothing that was really difficult this year. It was just super fun and a great ride. Well done on your result. SS's rock!!

shoooo, you must be m03rstrong!!!

Any update on the condition of the surface?

Is there still a lot of mud?

Well it rained again yesterday and this morning so I would assume its gonna be muddy

conditions should be good for the Race. I did the ride and things were drying out nicely but still a fair bit of standing water and muddy patches. Looks like Grabouw has had a bit more rain but nothing too serious so should be fine.

Heard that a few trees had been blown down on the Ride yesterday but I am sure the Route crew would have cleared them.

The Ride was fantastic, had great fun. Will definitely be back.

Any update on the condition of the surface?

Is there still a lot of mud?

I rode a small part of the route (Ongegund, Schaapenberg trails) last friday after the adventure came through then again last night and it was a lot drier last night. But then it rained a bit. I heard from my LBS that it was still muddy on the Grabouw side yesterday.

I'm thinking and hoping the conditions are a bit drier than last friday.

Just came back from the Ride event. Conditions were very very good. Few mud patches, bike only required a wash and lube on all 3 days. The Race guys should have the exact same conditions. Was my very first stage race and had a blast. Will return again and again. The food and atmosphere was top class.

Edited by extra300s

Just came back from the Ride event. Conditions were very very good. Few mud patches, bike only required a wash and lube on all 3 days. The Race guys should have the exact same conditions. Was my very first stage race and had a blast. Will return again and again. The food and atmosphere was top class.

you probably did the Ride, right? You had much better weather conditions than the guys that did the Adventure & those of us going to be doing the Race.

Awesome riding & views today! Weather is perfect for riding. Briefly chatted with king Alton on route. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Very nice first stage, enjoyed every bit, firstclass event!

Still happily married!;-) Managed a 4:36, very pleased!

Who rode in front on the single tracks? Your wife's no slouch!!!

*FOUND*

Most probably an Adventure participant. Found it hanging on the framework of my tent. An unnecessarily costly and inconvenient item(s) to replace.

PM me if you think its yours, and I'll post it.

Wow what a great weekend of pure mtb pleasure! Organising, food and vibe was excellent, met some great new mtbers!

Flymango, most of the time she rode at the back, apparently I'm working on her nervs if I'm at the back! Always looking at what she does wrong and then giving advise wasn't appreciated! (I kind of struggle to keep my big mouth shut when I'm at the back!)

So, I decided to ride in the front, show her my lines and let she build confidence on her own time. After stage 2 she got just what was needed (an overdose of st) in the end really started to enjoy it and finally started to let the brakes go!

Ended with a 5th place in the mix, so very pleased!