Idiotic cyclists .

Wyatt Earp

Cyclists can be their own worst enemy.  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Can they possibly be ?

• Yes
    • No

The roads are for all road uses - if as a motorist you cannot respect that then you should not have a license to drive - if you passed your learners and drivers test you should appreciate the laws of the roads.

Always remember that cyclist may be a 14 year old who has not done these teats or a cyclist without any form of education. As a motorist you have to take the responsibility as you are required to obey the laws and respect other road users and ensure what you are doing is safe to other road users! I.e. keep following distances etc!

The fact remains that this will REALLY annoy motorists and put people at risk, posting that it is ok (legal) to ride in the middle of the road is irresponsible

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very much like yourself I sometime are riding on the pavemunt coming from my local brewer slightly intocixated !! There I said it , very irresponsible . :whistling: :clap:

As long as he is not drinking and riding, he could spill.

The fact remains that this will REALLY annoy motorists and put people at risk, posting that it is ok (legal) to ride in the middle of the road is irresponsible

True, very legal, but irresponsible and pretty logical not to.

IMO.... Whether we like it or not cyclists have a bad reputation amongst other road users. Just ask anyone who is not a cyclist and drives on the road and without doubt they will recount a story where they came across a group of cyclists taking up more than there fair share of the road.

I see it here in switz as well where the 1.5m law is applied and "feared" by motorists, cyclists will abuse this by riding in groups or abreast hogging the lane and making no provision for vehicles to pass "just because" its their right and because they know motorists are scared of the law which requires drivers of vehicles to exercise sufficient caution around pedestrians and cyclists.

I'm pretty sure 100% of cyclists who ride on the road are aware that riding 2, 3, or 4 abreast on a public roads or going through red robots is going to (quite rightly) irritate motorists, yet some (note some, not a 100%) will still go ahead and do it.

On which subject, the Tracker "Ride Free" banner at the top of my screen shows that, if I stick my right arm out, I will suddenly ride faster!

Jokes aside, thanks Tracker for doing something. "Ride straight, signal clearly", fellow Hubbers.

I disagree 100%

Their are some road where it is just no safe to even consider overtaking a cyclist - the road is too narrow and their are pot holes / un ever man holes etc. One stretch of road like this all be it only about 200m would be riding into Muizemberg from Fish hoek. Solid white line just over 2m wide road in terrible condition - NOT safe to over take a cyclist - i ride closer to the white line than the pavement! I always indicate to to the motorist behind and have in 31 years of cycling not had a problem. Like wise I seem never to have a problem when over taking fellow cyclist by using hand signals - its just a pity a car seems never to see the need to use its indicator to over take me as a cyclist - yup that is the law use your indicator when overtaking another vehicle on the the road or changing your line!

Most motorist always feel they own the road esp when they in the wrong! unfortunately this can cost lives due to complete in considerate behavior and what to save a couple of sec to get to the next red robot! Sometime its just best to accept motorist predominately speaking are In considerate - IDIOTS! Now in control of a weapon which should not be in their hands - Yup as a cyclist I have disengaged their weapons by removing car keys and handing in at the nearest police station - sudden the motorist has no "power" and realizes how idiotic they really are and what dangers they have created! Offering apologies etc etc etc!

I disagree 100%

Their are some road where it is just no safe to even consider overtaking a cyclist - the road is too narrow and their are pot holes / un ever man holes etc. One stretch of road like this all be it only about 200m would be riding into Muizemberg from Fish hoek. Solid white line just over 2m wide road in terrible condition - NOT safe to over take a cyclist - i ride closer to the white line than the pavement! I always indicate to to the motorist behind and have in 31 years of cycling not had a problem. Like wise I seem never to have a problem when over taking fellow cyclist by using hand signals - its just a pity a car seems never to see the need to use its indicator to over take me as a cyclist - yup that is the law use your indicator when overtaking another vehicle on the the road or changing your line!

Most motorist always feel they own the road esp when they in the wrong! unfortunately this can cost lives due to complete in considerate behavior and what to save a couple of sec to get to the next red robot! Sometime its just best to accept motorist predominately speaking are In considerate - IDIOTS! Now in control of a weapon which should not be in their hands - Yup as a cyclist I have disengaged their weapons by removing car keys and handing in at the nearest police station - sudden the motorist has no "power" and realizes how idiotic they really are and what dangers they have created! Offering apologies etc etc etc!

cant see how you can disagree 100%!?! (but hey it's your personal choice in the matter), as I can almost gurantee (maybe even state it will be a fact, statistically!) that motorists will get annoyed, which then inevitably puts people at risk - which is what I was stating

Guest Smimby

cant see how you can disagree 100%!?! (but hey it's your personal choice in the matter), as I can almost gurantee (maybe even state it will be a fact, statistically!) that motorists will get annoyed, which then inevitably puts people at risk - which is what I was stating

So cyclist must ALLWAYS ride as far left as what the motorist wants them to be and allow motorist to come within inches of them or even scrape past them?

Just so the motorist does not get annoyed by having to wait for a SAFE place to past the cyclist?

If I am on a narrow road and a car brushes past me I can not go anymore left without leaving the road surface and hence falling....then I will move a bit away from the edge.....Now a car sees me, slows down and passes me slower AND I have the option to move left if I feel they are too close...

When I am a motorist I get annoyed by truck driving slowly / older people etc! I don't deal with my annoyance by try to put that person at risk - they have as much right to be on the road as I do - why suddenly as a cyclist should motorist feel any different? Why should they now take their annoyance out on that person which is causing them to drive slow? Are they so stupid and feel so superior? Motorist cannot insist that a truck drives in the yellow line because you want too pass why should motorist behavior be any different towards cyclist? Are they so stupid and feel so superior? If I am a cyclist am ridding on my own on the SA roads I will always ride where I feel it is safe for me to do so in the left lane, which is within my rights as a road user. This is actually a case of cyclist (including myself) been considerate and ride predominately on the left for predominately inconsiderate motorist. How often it happen to me I will be ride on the left motorist passing etc then a motorist want to turn right - the motorist behind go straight for the payment to try get through a gap which they cannot (its a single lane) - now this motorist has just passed me now blocking my path - WHY because motorist in general are very inconsiderate and probably to dam stupid!

So cyclist must ALLWAYS ride as far left as what the motorist wants them to be and allow motorist to come within inches of them or even scrape past them?

Just so the motorist does not get annoyed by having to wait for a SAFE place to past the cyclist?

If I am on a narrow road and a car brushes past me I can not go anymore left without leaving the road surface and hence falling....then I will move a bit away from the edge.....Now a car sees me, slows down and passes me slower AND I have the option to move left if I feel they are too close...

hehe a bit extreme :unsure:. I am not your enemy Smimby, just trying to point out the obvious (use it, lose it, it's your choice, I never try and force anyone to "do it my way", thats the great part about having the freedom to choose, so do what you think is right). Keep safe and have a great week.

Can we include the stupid morons :cursing: that took it upon themselves to modify the jumps at Giba Gorge resulting in a broken collar bone for the unfortunate rider that wiped out?

Now that is very safe cycling and I have no reason not to encourage it! Motorist will only see what they want to see in terms of a cyclist and the danger they face on a daily basis - they tend not to se the complete picture.

hehe a bit extreme :unsure:. I am not your enemy Smimby, just trying to point out the obvious (use it, lose it, it's your choice, I never try and force anyone to "do it my way", thats the great part about having the freedom to choose, so do what you think is right). Keep safe and have a great week.

But thats exactly what you have indicated what you want to see - now maybe through this thread you may see the road through the eye's of a cyclist when next you in your motor vehicle overtaking a cyclist who is a bit further from the payment than you would like that cyclist to be {because you have a red light a head no doubt}!