Idiotic cyclists .

Wyatt Earp

Cyclists can be their own worst enemy.  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Can they possibly be ?

• Yes
    • No

Just for clarity sake, around a stupid motorist (besides the obvious), is a stupid motorist, one that hoots and gets highly annoyed when confronted with a group of cyclists cycling down the road 2 or 3 abreast (single lane) blocking traffic....."forcing" certain motorists to cross a solid line (2 wheels) to overtake.

Whose stupid, the motorist or the cyclists?

A bit too tricky to answer?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunetly though LL it's the truth. Our wonderfull place where we live, robots that don't get repaired for weeks, no more lines on the roads, potholes, excavations not repaired, barriers gone in some places, yellow lane used as a normal traffic lane, too name a few (this is just my route to work)....I think most of us try to remain positive, but it aint easy.

The country has it's problems like a great many countries, but I don't see the relevance here. Cyclists slowing down the traffic is really not one of the showstoppers. We should cut vulnerable road users some slack and try to help or give a friendly warning when there's a real danger that others will not. As vulnerable road users ourselves we are in a perfect position to take the higher ground.

The idea that we are part of a national cycling club and must punish members who

make us look bad is a bit pathetic.

The stupid cyclist is very likely also a stupid motorist. Not many of us only ride bikes. Stupid cyclist dies. Stupid motorist kills.

Be smart, be careful, be polite.

A good place to practice being polite would be on this forum. We are rude to each other on the forum, we are most likely rude on the road as well.

The stupid cyclist is very likely also a stupid motorist. Not many of us only ride bikes. Stupid cyclist dies. Stupid motorist kills.

Be smart, be careful, be polite.

A good place to practice being polite would be on this forum. We are rude to each other on the forum, we are most likely rude on the road as well.

Maybe start a thread about greeting other cyclists on the road?

I am more concerned with us not giving motorists the finger.

LL makes a point I largely agree with. We can't be responsible for other cyclists but there is another reality as well.

A few months back I was riding on my own, as usual, when a lady overtook me and then immediately turned into her drive way. I nearly nailed her but managed to get around her and went close past her door. Her window was open and she started yelling at me. "I am sorry I'm sorry I didn't see you I'm so sorry" . She was flipping terrified. Now I was a bit annoyed but her reaction really bothered me. Last thing I want is to scare a woman on her own in a car. I just waved and said no problem but I think her reaction must come from the aggressive way cyclists behave towards car drivers. There have been some well publicized incidents in this regard.

Like I said earlier. Lets start just by being polite. We can practice on each other by waving if that floats your boat.

.................Be smart, be careful, be polite..................

In a nutshell, this is how all our issues, cycling or otherwise, could be solved! :clap:

Like I said earlier. Lets start just by being polite. We can practice on each other by waving if that floats your boat.

Well said! It is all these people wanting to force their ways onto other that causes many issues.

Do your part, be nice, be polite and be safe. Others will follow your example. Expect others to do as you do, not to do as you say.

No, we must have one pinned thread that explains waving etiquette. With pictures and supporting video for the serial waving thread people.

Is it just my imagination or have the Gauteng cyclists started greeting each other less and less?

And Capetonians....whats up with the no waving?....seems like Zille has a no-waving policy in place???

I always make a point to wave

When the gesture is blatantly ignored...a couple of mumbled words follow to be totally honest

And the roadies seem less polite overall (not to hate on them, as I am part of both crowds)

Looking for lots of greetings, while on your bike, join a club and be a part of their rides. Lots of greetings exchanged and friendly banter.

Enjoy your own space - go out on your own.

Greet if you so wish, don't if you're not inclined to.

Bottom line, enjoy your bike.

I'm inclined to greet, but then not only when on my bike or in lycra.

On another note, people see what they choose to. Those out to enjoy the 'head out the window experience' seem to have less issues with motorists, other cyclists, the roads, the guy riding up the single track, the guy without a helmet..........D

istractions