championchip entering scam?

didi3

Got a call this morning from Clint at Finishline.

He was surprised and shocked that CC was charging more than R 190.00 for entry, and indicated who would take it up with them. I also questioned the entry fee increase from R 120.00 in March to R 190.00 in July. Clint said that he went with CC because he was told by them, they would do a professional job and was lead by their recommendation that R 190.00 was the going rate for 60km entry fee. He eventually agreed and increased the winners purse due to the higher entry fee.

He is adamant that they don't make money out of an event like this once all the expenses have been paid. In fact he believes he will probably be out of pocket on this event judging by the amount of entries to date. Their motivation to organize the event is to get entrants to collect their race numbers from his shop to get feet through the door, especially now that they spent lots of money on a complete revamp. which makes sense to me.

I have no reason to dis-believe Clint as I've done lots of business with him and Finishline and they are standup guys. The March race was well planned and successful with a lot of support.

So it looks to me as if CC are simply ripping the ass out of an event to make as much money as possible, at the expense of the organizers and the riders. This isn't the first or the last time they have done this.

I will give further feedback once or if I get a response from CC

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's made known to you before paying, wouldn't it be legal?

In that terrible expensive email they send around they only mention an fee of R220,- for the long distance.

When you enter on their website it is only then that they "reveal" these hidden cost.

So you thought you entering a R220,- race and end up paying about R240,-

imagine going to Game because they are advertising a stove for R3000,- and when you are about to pay you dicover that they added 4,5% credit card surcharge.

At least then you have the option to pay cash/check to avoid this fee, at championchip you don't even have that choice.

I reackon it is illegal.

Easy to find out, just report them and see what happens.

I pretty much over Championchip myself, particularly the fact that most all of their races have no seeding value.

Either way you will pay both amounts. Organiser has the option to include in the entry fee or have it collected by CC. If it is not charged separately by CC be sure it is included in the entry fees.

Suppose the organisers choose to include the creditcard surcharge in the entree fee.

Who wil pay the 4,5% on the chips and charity donations?

Although the organisers don't get anything out of chip sales and charity donations, I would not be suppriced if they charge the organisers that fee anyway!

I pretty much over Championchip myself, particularly the fact that most all of their races have no seeding value.

I took this up with the Argus organisers a couple of years ago.

Their reply was that they would use championchip results in their seeding if it was available to them.

But apparently Colin of championchip want to be paid (again) for releasing the results to them!!

In that terrible expensive email they send around they only mention an fee of R220,- for the long distance.

When you enter on their website it is only then that they "reveal" these hidden cost.

So you thought you entering a R220,- race and end up paying about R240,-

imagine going to Game because they are advertising a stove for R3000,- and when you are about to pay you dicover that they added 4,5% credit card surcharge.

At least then you have the option to pay cash/check to avoid this fee, at championchip you don't even have that choice.

I reackon it is illegal.

Easy to find out, just report them and see what happens.

The issue is sort of tackled in the story below, in terms of the e-mail being a "quote"…

http://www.iol.co.za...41#.Ucq6YqKs_Zs

I am no lawyer, but heavily involved within retail and as far as I know it is straight out illegal to charge the swipe fee as an additional.

I will check with my people, but would lodge it with the CPA and the CC merchant immediately

Its not criminal, but a breach of contract. I also hate it as I managed an IT store where the owner made us recite this long winded loop hole every time a customer paid by card.

As a retailer you can also not offer a cash discount to credit card holders as the merchants require you to treat credit card sales as cash.

In our business we don't care, you pay cash or card we charge you the same.

If I remember correctly the Wilro used to timed by them.

It is now a Racetec race.

My results for the races done under Championchip seem to have vanished . Have they been removed or am I missing something.

Edited by Blokman

Got a call this morning from Clint at Finishline.

He was surprised and shocked that CC was charging more than R 190.00 for entry, and indicated who would take it up with them. I also questioned the entry fee increase from R 120.00 in March to R 190.00 in July. Clint said that he went with CC because he was told by them, they would do a professional job and was lead by their recommendation that R 190.00 was the going rate for 60km entry fee. He eventually agreed and increased the winners purse due to the higher entry fee.

He is adamant that they don't make money out of an event like this once all the expenses have been paid. In fact he believes he will probably be out of pocket on this event judging by the amount of entries to date. Their motivation to organize the event is to get entrants to collect their race numbers from his shop to get feet through the door, especially now that they spent lots of money on a complete revamp. which makes sense to me.

I have no reason to dis-believe Clint as I've done lots of business with him and Finishline and they are standup guys. The March race was well planned and successful with a lot of support.

So it looks to me as if CC are simply ripping the ass out of an event to make as much money as possible, at the expense of the organizers and the riders. This isn't the first or the last time they have done this.

I will give further feedback once or if I get a response from CC

think the reason for poor response is the Nissan event the day before ... bad planning, we're doing both cause we need more training

Slightly off topic, but Ster Kinekor charges an online booking fee or something like that when you book online or with the app... does that fall into the same category?

Slightly off topic, but Ster Kinekor charges an online booking fee or something like that when you book online or with the app... does that fall into the same category?

I don't think so. At what stage are you informed of the fee?

To

I took this up with the Argus organisers a couple of years ago.

Their reply was that they would use championchip results in their seeding if it was available to them.

But apparently Colin of championchip want to be paid (again) for releasing the results to them!!

Obviously the timing company is a business and needs to make a little money, but I found this to be the most ridiculous thing ever.

Hidden costs....uhmm I don't support unethical business practices....so +1 for the boycott...Racetec ftw!

As for needing different chips for the different timing companies....that's a con in itself. Racetec were obviously able to accommodate the Winningtime chips when they took them over (and I'm still using my retro yellow ankle chip)...if only all the races were timed by the same company...ai ai

"Card surcharge contravenes the merchant's agreement between the company and their bank." I just got that from Wendy Knowler, the author of the story of the article I posted a link to earlier. She also said that the mail sent out is worrisome as it is indeed misleading.