[Event] Bovlei MTB Classic

Gravel Travel Events

Not being weird or agro in any sense but just making a correction - Karoo2Coast is 103km and entry is R300 thus looking at it from a R/km point of view the K2C(R2.91/km) is bit cheaper by all standards.

Anyhows, entry fees aside, you have a great area with awesome trails and anyone entering will be having a great ride none the less.

Enjoy the day and the ride!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not make the prices.

If a race is a Cycletour qaulifier it cost R300. All the MTN/ Nissan races is also in that range. The Karoo to Coast is also in that price range. No trail stay in rideable condition without maintenance, especially after a winter like this one. Every year there is new laws and rules to have an event on your property. It is getting more expensive to host events. I stopped doing events because of fuel prices and event cost. Anybody can go to Welvanpas, Meerendal, Bottelary and Jonkers for R40/day. Do appreciate these places, there is a lot of effort going into all of them and hosting an events does help. Please just go and enjoy your mountainbike.

What is also important to note is that this event is limiting the number of entries. I was in Stellenbosch with Die Burger race and it as chaos throughout the town after the event. Less numbers mean less profit, but also less impact on the trails and facilities around the venue. I like the concept and would have been there if I knew about it earlier.

To be honest if I did not get a corporate entry I would perhaps have thought twice before entering because of the entry fee. I know it goes towards charity and I am all for that and I think they do a great job. But for me charity starts at home. I support wherever I can and when I can.

Apart from this I do not slant the event because of my opinion regarding the entry fees. I am fortunate enough to enjoy the mtb'ing in this area every day if I want to. I wish the organisers all the success they deserve. I know Pieter well. He is a great guy and does a lot for mtb'ing in this area and others. Many don't know this but he probably is responsible for most of the epic route this year (and others). I am happy to see his efforts resulting in good causes benefitting. Many points more for him in my books

Thumbs up to this being a great event :thumbup:

Edited by Jaco-fiets

That 50km will take the same time to do as K2C with the same or more climbing on a lot of singletrack.K2C is on roads that any person can do with a car. Anyway, do the K2C every year.

That 50km will take the same time to do as K2C with the same or more climbing on a lot of singletrack.K2C is on roads that any person can do with a car. Anyway, do the K2C every year.

Agreed u cant compare miles of boring gravel rd to the singletrack in Wellington, if i dont do the potberg stage race i will be in Wellington for this ride, its still the best area in SA to ride MTB

Moenie dat die 50km jou mislei nie, Wellington het baie bulte!!!

Dit is 'n laaaang 50km, maar altyd baie lekker, Pieter kan sy storie!

Profiles: www.graveltravel.co.za

Looks pretty tough hope it doesnt get to muddy this week, huge rain heading our way. Gonna be a proper challenge i thinks

Looks pretty tough hope it doesnt get to muddy this week, huge rain heading our way. Gonna be a proper challenge i thinks

Do you know what the drainage is like in that neck of the woods?

Do you know what the drainage is like in that neck of the woods?

Not great if i remember last years gravel travel the mud was hectic

I have a farm in that area, it can get pretty wet and muddy.

Don't expect to much drainage, especially after all the rains we had this past month!

Yeah for the cost (of the race and repairs) the weather might work against this one Happy to drop the money for a lekker ride but not keen on a mud bath - lets see how the weeks rain goes