Where to refurbish my frames?

dylankeyter

Hi Hubbers. Please can you tell me where the best and cheapest place is to strip/sandblast/respray my old chromoly frames and bits in Cape Town? I am on a budget. Thanks!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk to Jared at BMC in Salt River. His prices are reasonable, and his work is super! I'm sure he'll be open to negotiation, especially if you want more than one done.

(See the Retro Bike Thread for an old Hercules he restored for me. The quality of his work was absolutely fantastic. The paint job is truly better than I see on many new bikes.)

Talk to Jared at BMC in Salt River. His prices are reasonable, and his work is super! I'm sure he'll be open to negotiation, especially if you want more than one done.

(See the Retro Bike Thread for an old Hercules he restored for me. The quality of his work was absolutely fantastic. The paint job is truly better than I see on many new bikes.)

+1 - Jared is VERY good!

+ 1 Jared, have never used him myself but very good reputation overall.

At one stage i was thinking of having my bike done there and the quote was close to 2k. Was too much for me.

on a budget?

http://www.treatmentofboils.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/istockphoto_408331-soap-and-water.jpg

On the budget angle:

I would then do the stripping and sanding down myself. It just takes lots of time and elbow grease, but you can do it as well as anyone. Then I'll get a real expert to do the painting, using professional paint. It doesn't take too much time, so the cost should be substantially less than letting a pro do the whole thing. Spraying is the difficult part that spoils the end result of many a diy guy (like myself).

Strip it and get it powder coated at Cape Powder Coaters in Paarden Island, Wallflower Street, one of my employees had his done for R100 a week ago. Check on pricing as I'm not sure that was because they do work for me. They are right opposite me, and there is a company that does sandblasting in Paarden Island as well but best speak to them first.

Ask for John on 021 511 7970. There are always guys taking there bikes in to him

Strip it and get it powder coated at Cape Powder Coaters in Paarden Island, Wallflower Street, one of my employees had his done for R100 a week ago. Check on pricing as I'm not sure that was because they do work for me. They are right opposite me, and there is a company that does sandblasting in Paarden Island as well but best speak to them first.

Ask for John on 021 511 7970. There are always guys taking there bikes in to him

What is the big difference between spraypainting and powdercoating in terms of the end result? I understand how it works, but wondered whether one is harder, more chip resistant, easier repairable, more colour stable, more durable etc. than the other?

On the budget angle:

I would then do the stripping and sanding down myself. It just takes lots of time and elbow grease, but you can do it as well as anyone. Then I'll get a real expert to do the painting, using professional paint. It doesn't take too much time, so the cost should be substantially less than letting a pro do the whole thing. Spraying is the difficult part that spoils the end result of many a diy guy (like myself).

Never underestimate the importance of good preparation though....

DIY. With this...

post-12909-0-57395400-1372935990_thumb.jpg

The stripping is a piece of cake with this stuff.

Powder coating is dirt cheap if you just want one colour. Around R100 - R150 for std colours. so you could strip and powder coat for under R250.

Edited by MuddyMike

The stripping is a piece of cake with this stuff.

Powder coating is dirt cheap if you just want one colour. Around R100 - R150 for std colours. so you could strip and powder coat for under R250.

Stupid question perhaps but can you powder coat a carbon frame?

Never underestimate the importance of good preparation though....

Agreed 100%