Where to refurbish my frames?

dylankeyter

Stupid question perhaps but can you powder coat a carbon frame?

No

Why not?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all! Your responses are much appreciated. The wheels are also rusted, the spokes specifically - because the rims and hubs are aluminium I believe. I don't want to rebuild the whole wheel, I would like to powdercoat them too. I am sure it would be best to remove the rust from the spokes first, what would be the best method? Steel wool and polish? Or can I powdercoat them as is without removing the rust? Thanks again.

Thank you all! Your responses are much appreciated. The wheels are also rusted, the spokes specifically - because the rims and hubs are aluminium I believe. I don't want to rebuild the whole wheel, I would like to powdercoat them too. I am sure it would be best to remove the rust from the spokes first, what would be the best method? Steel wool and polish? Or can I powdercoat them as is without removing the rust? Thanks again.

i would strip and replace the spoke, if they are rusted and old, rather replace and rebuild, least you know that way they are strong and sturdy..

but saying that yes you can use steel wool to clear off the rust..

no you cannot just powder coat over rust. it will just peal like normal paint does.

it will melt more then likely.

I would say that powder coating would be more resistant to abuse then just spraypainting. The frame that was recently done by a chap from my work looks like it could have been sprayed, the colour is consistent throughout the frame, and has a smooth finish. I don't think you would also be able to do the type of detail with powder coating you can get from spray painting.

Why not?

The products get baked in a oven at about 200deg, the carbon frame would more then likely melt or warp.

Any ideas on spraying or coating Chorus Skeleton brakeset? Its silver at the moment with some rust on the bolts. Wanna make the brakes black as with newer sets. Are replacement bolts readily available from distributors?

Edited by Cippo

Any ideas on spraying or coating Chorus Skeleton brakeset? Its silver at the moment with some rust on the bolts. Wanna make the brakes black as with newer sets. Are replacement bolts readily available from distributors?

What about anodising? I'm sure that powder coating would be too thick.

Can aluminium and steel be powdercoated? I took the wheels for a spin and they are strong, still wanting to powdercoat the spokes and rims if possible - the spokes are steel and the hub and rim aluminium if I'm correct. Do you think I can get the wheels powdercoated in black?

I would not powder coat a wheel that is assembled. The changes in temperature is bound to cause some warping.

You can only powder coat metallic objects. It gets electrically charged to create negative and positive fields in the chamber. The powder then gets statically attracted to the metal frame..

I would not powder coat a wheel that is assembled. The changes in temperature is bound to cause some warping.

Thanks. makes sense

i would strip and replace the spoke, if they are rusted and old, rather replace and rebuild, least you know that way they are strong and sturdy..

but saying that yes you can use steel wool to clear off the rust..

no you cannot just powder coat over rust. it will just peal like normal paint does.

Wise words. Yep...if you ride on rusted spokes (or even cleaned rusted spokes)...its just a matter of time before your plough into the tamac (or need a fresh chamois :oops: )...almost happened to my bro on a Argus...happened a couple kms after he finished...hahaha...big skrik!

Also risk doing irreparable damage to your rims....HKGK...passop boetie!

Look what I did with a bit of HARD work!

How long did that take you? I'm doing mine this weekend. What about the waste coming off the frame, ie the stripper & paint, do you just do it over some newspaper?

Take old box, lay frame down and stick on the plascon remove and leave! Leave it somme a lekke long time. You will see the paint lifting, looks like its boiling. Then just take it and hose it down where you can wash the waste away or so. My advise is to put on a layer tonight and and clean tomorrow morning. When frame is clean, i sanded it down with 500 - 800 - 1000 - 1200 - 1500 - 2000 grid waterbased sandpaper without water. When all big scratces are out and all looks good, polish! Go buy Autosol at Autozone, its like Braso and then polish away! Im still gonna polish it with an air polisher later.