RANT - Do we get 2nd world service from local agents????

Da2lip

So, if Paddy Fitsgerald moves from Ireland to SA and brings his Shimano equiped bike with him, he won't be able to have it fixed in SA because he bought it in Ireland. Doesn't sound right, surely, Shimano is Shimano and parts should available irrespective of where it was bought.

The owner of Coolheat and his right hand man are both members of the Hub. Perhaps they could give comments on this and set the record straight.

I had a similar experience with shimano agents a few years back and since then will NEVER ride shimano again.Bought a set of dura ace tubbie wheels brand new from lbs who got them from cool heat.2 months down the line I was involved in a crash in racing and trashed a rim on rear wheel.

Me:Cool Heat can I pls purchase a rear carbon rim for the set of wheels I just paid 12K for.

Agents:No sorry we don't do rims only.

Me :o,can I then pls purchase a rear wheel only.

Agents:No, we don't do single wheels but we will sell you a new SET of wheels.

WTF in the end I brought in a rear wheel also from Chainreaction who sell single wheels.

The local agents are quick to cry buy from them because of backup etc etc but in reality I've got better backup from CRC & CWC than the official agents.How they remain the official agents I will never know,and yes you can import shimano cheaper than the cost price of your lbs so I feel for them because theyb are really shafted.

It could be that the local agents/distributors days are numbered, or at least have to clean up their acts... in the past there was no opportunity to buy online from overseas, so they had us all over a barrell, and their resellers. We and the resellers had to put up and cough up, and contribute to their exhorbitant profits (They know who they are!). So I welcome the new scenario, and this goes for many other products as well; cameras, HI-FI, appliances etc, etc, etc. But I agree with droo, their are a few straight shooters. Pity we can't buy cars online!

So the story starts out like this, I have a set of top end brakes that need to be sorted out (no brand named) as they have developed a leak on the left lever. So I send in my XTR brakes to the agents to have the issue fixed. I get told that they will not warranty the brakes as they are not sure if they brought them in. So I say that’s no hassle can you please just fix the lever as I never actually asked for a warranty in the first place. The answer I got back through my LBS was NO, they have told us to inform you to buy a full new set or XTR. They will not even sell me a lever or even a left brake set. I mean WTF, how can SH*TMANO say something like this (no backup what so ever). I was more than willing to pay for repairs and not expecting a hand out.

MY LBS then said why not look at certain online store since the agents here can’t help you. Guess what, part found and place the order. The part arrived today, that’s 2 days after placing the order. That’s service (Shimano take note on how to treat customers!!!!!)

So MR SHIMANO please tell me how I can import the part that you refused to fix (an entire left lever for +- 1.2k with over night delivery) and your say you can’t help or even replace the lever at a cost to me??

You know LBS and agents wonder why people look online to bring things in and bypass the local agents and LBS. With service like this one has to feel sorry for the LBS as they can’t do anything but watch you spend your money elsewhere.

I for one will never buy another shimano product from the local agents again. I would actually get rid of the XTR brakes (got SRAM on everything else and works like a charm) if for the fact that I really love the stopping power of the XTR setup.

So any other people out there feel like we are being treated like third rate citizens by the agents who we actually keep in business??

Ok Rant over and with any luck my XTR brakes will be back on this weekend…

+1.....Hence my signiture......i rest my case!!

That awkward moment when CWC imports more shimano parts than shimano SA

Heard this from my lbs

is it true?

That awkward moment when CWC imports more shimano parts than shimano SA

Heard this from my lbs

is it true?

Now if CWC could become Shimano SA agents, its win win for all. :thumbup:

Buying volumes make a huge difference.

E.g. The local agents cost on digital cameras is more than the overseas online retail price - Sound familiar?

Large multi-national corporate has global agreement directly with the manufacturer. Corporate gets global pricing, leaving nothing on the table for local whole-seller, never-mind the local reseller.

But do they expect world class local support!!!!

Our tiny little market has Zero buying power.

Also love how the MBA's at these multi-national corporates expound on universal wisdom, like, Think Globally, Act Locally.

Ultimately its about the MONEY!!!!

Nothing Else Matters!

Edited by zaslinger

My experience with Shimano has been bittersweet or rather sweetbitter. They were sympathetic about having no stock but it took like 6 weeks to get stock (and it was a "mission critical" item without which my bike would not function). Then of course it can't be sent to you. You have to tour in to your LBS (which is a trek for me) and get it there. Tiresome compared to CRC / CWC et al.

I would say 3rd world service rather than 2nd world.

Based on what you say about their buying power I suspect that they are somewhat Mickey Mouse and don't really have a policy; whoever you deal with just makes up something on the day.