Brake fade - Avid juicy 3.5?

kevin Walter

Morning hubbers

I've been having problems for a while now where my brakes, they come and go during a ride. I bled them myself but it didn't fix the problem, they still go soft occasionally during a ride... I find it hard to believe they are over heating with my level of riding...

Is there anything that could be causing this besides overheating.

Thanks.

It's an Avid problem... I had a set of Avid Elixer 5's with the same problem. Best advice I can give you is to buy a set of Shimano's (or if you have money burning a hole in your pocket buy Hope) and give the Avid's to someone you really dislike. They will fail completely and some point and land him against a tree, bus etc.

Have u checked the hoses for possible pinhole leak?

I have tried to find leaks and cant find anything major...

This very same issue has been brought up many times from Avid owners. Either in threads dedicated to the problem or in other "general" threads. Avid seem to have very poor performance/quality based on other Hubber's experiences.

I have tried to find leaks and cant find anything major...

Can you find anything minor? Brakes should have 0 (ZERO) leaks.

Take it to a competent bike mac and let them test - it is your front teeth at risk after all.

Try a complete fluid replacement ie: take all of it out and put FRESH fluid back in, I found with my dot fluid that had been in the bottle for a while had absorbed quite a lot of moisture and this sorted me out.

They faded at the top of mountain at van gaalens this weekend, there i learnt the dangers of only having front brakes lol!

I think I'll take my bike to the shop for new seals and pipes, I did blead em and it didnt help, fixing this one is too much for me...

If its expensive I'll get a new system...

AG PLEASE!!!!!!

I have Juicy 3's on my bike. PROPERLY bled by LBS that knows what he's doing. Running Quaxar Pads and Disks, NO FADE, NO SQUEEL, PURE HAPPINESS.

To replace the the piston kit is quite cheap (should cost you less than R100.00 a side)

Reason why I'm SHOUTING is that this subject comes up very often (was discussed again just last week) and everytime Avids get shot down by people not capable of maintaining / servicing them properly.

edit: I ride quite a bit of singletrack, and do not have any problems going down places like Meerendal/Hillcrest etc. I brake quite a bit as I'm cautious going down singletrack, so I'm on the brakes a lot. If there was any problems with my brakes, I would have known about it, or sure.

Edited by Wannabe

They faded at the top of mountain at van gaalens this weekend, there i learnt the dangers of only having front brakes lol!

I think I'll take my bike to the shop for new seals and pipes, I did blead em and it didnt help, fixing this one is too much for me...

If its expensive I'll get a new system...

No wonder it did not work... you bleed brakes.... :)

If you have no leaks you do not need new pipes - unless they are in imminent danger of failing - get a competent mac to look at it and fix it - nothing wrong with Avids, and properly set up and maintained they are great.

Ok well thats cool, glad to here the servicing isn't too expensive because when they work they work well so I'd be happy to sort them out.

I had a bad run with Juicy 3's, switched to Shimano SLX last year November....since then: Happy days

AG PLEASE!!!!!!

I have Juicy 3's on my bike. PROPERLY bled by LBS that knows what he's doing. Running Quaxar Pads and Disks, NO FADE, NO SQUEEL, PURE HAPPINESS.

To replace the the piston kit is quite cheap (should cost you less than R100.00 a side)

Reason why I'm SHOUTING is that this subject comes up very often (was discussed again just last week) and everytime Avids get shot down by people not capable of maintaining / servicing them properly.

edit: I ride quite a bit of singletrack, and do not have any problems going down places like Meerendal/Hillcrest etc. I brake quite a bit as I'm cautious going down singletrack, so I'm on the brakes a lot. If there was any problems with my brakes, I would have known about it, or sure.

Dude. Avid brakes are sh*t.

There are very few bike products that I have an anti passion for but Avid definitely makes the grade.

Anyone who likes their avids has not ridden Shimano, Formula, Hope etc or shoved their foot on the front tyre (and even that has better modulation than a set of avids).

For the OP - leaks are easy to spot - the leaks attract dust so a gritty patch will develop anywhere you have a leak. Avids will be functional if they're serviced and well bled but they will never be anything better than functional.

had the sam problem on my rear brake. Found the pads worn and overheat then. Try putting new pads first

@K-Man 5000...Don't throw good money after bad....Get a new set of Hope, Shimano or Formula.

Life is too short to maintain avid brakes...my 2c