Wi-Fi at events

alleyne

Hey Hubbers

We are looking to approach cycling events to partner with them to provide Wi-Fi for the riders/fans etc

I'm hoping to get some great first hand knowledge here by tapping into the experience of my fellow hubbers.

For those who would like to help, please mention an event that either had no Wi-Fi that you think should, an event that did but it wasn't great or even events that did and it was awesome.

Just to try motivate people to get involved, for everyone who posts a relevant (helpful in some way :clap:) reply I will enter them into a draw to win an Awesome TVK Wallet, as seen below. I will provide the winner with a couple of wallet options to choose from.

post-22255-0-61281200-1373976831_thumb.jpg

post-22255-0-79027200-1373976842_thumb.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lekker @ the 24 hour events too, e.g. the 1 at VG in december, or misty valley in november (we were there earlier this year and battled with signal in general, backup wifi with decent signal would've been great).

Would be cool esp the stage events in the middle of nowhere

We are able to provide Wi-Fi at any location even out in the sticks so mention the races you want it at!

Would be awesome if you could set something up at points in race course and "stream video" from devices (think they did it through a iPhone app at an xterra triathlon)

Set up a big screen at finish then all the streams can be used to paint the picture (anyone with iPhone on course hotspots can stream)

Can also advertise on the screen....

How bout that??

Edited by Milkworx

It would be awesome to have wifi at the Sani2C. This year there was no signal whatsoever at the race villages.

For the one day races I wont bother, as you generally finish your ride, have a beer and off you go.

Might also be a good idea for the MTN National events running over a Saturday and Sunday. Especially for people going through on the Saturday to watch the Ultra and Marathon riders coming in.

Itec provided free wifi at sani, it was great. They also had laptops in their trailer with access to the net.

The best thing tho was the beers and beanbags they had....

OK - I will bite.

If you run WiFi at a multi day event - make SURE it works when you lie on a mattress - without having to hold the device in the air to get good signal.

Never been to an event with GOOD and reliable WiFi...

burg & bush

Sani

W2W

for starters, will this be a free wife service?

Hi VicanZA

That is certainly the aim, it all depends on the event organizers and sponsors etc,

Have to agree with the sentiment so far. At one day events wifi isn't critical (always a 'nice to have' of course) but would make a lot of sense at stage events like Sani and W2W

Itec provided free wifi at sani, it was great. They also had laptops in their trailer with access to the net.

The best thing tho was the beers and beanbags they had....

Same at j2c....and yes, the beanbags with the lagers were still the place to be.