Wi-Fi at events

alleyne

Not for me thank you , I got no need to twitters , tweet or whatever when I am doing a stage race . My mum will be fine without me for 3 to 5 days .

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it really free or do the wi-fi providers charge the organisers who just add the cost to the entry? I don't mind, just asking.

Sabie Xperience qould also be great ..

Thinking about it a bit, you can market it to organizers and participants by creating 'load you twitter updates about #theraceyoujustfinished and facebook/instagram photos here' - double marketing for you and the race, as well as a nice-to-have for riders ... methinks.

.... and couple that with a competition for 'best race face' or 'dirtiest look' or somthing along those lines ...

I'm doing the Cederburg Ride the Rock in February. They tell you to buy a telkom card to phone home, as there is no signal in that area at all!! Not that I mind, Peace and quiet!!

Would be cool esp the stage events in the middle of nowhere

And please please please somewhere to charge your device!

Stage races definitaltely. Epic, #anything2C , W2W, Rhide the Rhino etc.

These races all try to add value, so as a service provider approaching them will be easier than approaching the one day races.

ITO one day races, maybe the big Classics like Argus, Knysna and Die Burger.

At the Enduro races, after stages you saw people with cellphones everywhere, checking their live updates.

So events that had live updates or live feeds like the Epic and the Amarider events might add value to spectators if they had wifi at the finish venue or chill zones.

Good luck with the venture.

Imagine the flood of pre-start pictures in my timeline if everyone has got the ability to post pictures right there and then .-) Experienced that in Sweden, the entire start zone and registration area was covered by free 20MB/sec wifi - and they got thousands of mentions and fb posts linking to the event, surely sponsors would love that, fork out more money and make the event even better catered. So my opinion is - even the one day events can only benefit and add some participant value by offering wifi!

Edited by ibruegge

Online activities has become integral to modern lifestyle. One just cannot be just cut-off from the world out there anymore. Even if we would like to think so.

It will certainly attract out of town entrants as well.Us cyclist love to cycle from onr WiFi-enabled Cafe to another lol.

Would be pretty cool at stage races out in the stix provided there is decent signal strength so that you can lie in your tent/under closest tree without going to a hot spot...

Not too sure about the one day jobbies... Could upload your Endomondo stuffs at the finish or Viber your cousin in Guam... Mind you, might "save" all my App store updates for race day....

Same at j2c....and yes, the beanbags with the lagers were still the place to be.

sadly they did not attend S2C in 2013. put a serious dent in my beverage budget having to pay for beers...i also had to schlep (whatever the f-ing spelling is) my matress to a shady (under a tree) spot to quaff my bought beers..

it's a hard life i tell you....

Hey Hubbers

Will keep this going until tomorrow evening (9pm) and will then announce the winner.

ok my take - dont you okes just use 3g? Sani2c i was able to use 3g no problems the entire time i was there. Sure if you are in a remote location for example Berg n Bush, but even then they made a plan with a yagi antenna.

My question is how exactely do you plan to do it? 3g modem connected to wi-fi routers?, adsl? or satellite? In most instances, where you need it, the only option would be satellite....

ok my take - dont you okes just use 3g? Sani2c i was able to use 3g no problems the entire time i was there. Sure if you are in a remote location for example Berg n Bush, but even then they made a plan with a yagi antenna.

My question is how exactely do you plan to do it? 3g modem connected to wi-fi routers?, adsl? or satellite? In most instances, where you need it, the only option would be satellite....

Hi Stretch

The backhaul would be different for every situation depending on what was available, what it is going to be used for and how many people will be using it. So yes often the only option is something like satellite if it's out in the sticks.

3G is great if it is available and if it works. But we find normally as soon as there are a large amount of people connected it all goes downhill pretty quickly and there is nothing that can be done to get it going again or to be able to control it.