Single speed - road bikes only

"Stevens"

Hi there,

I'm new to the single speed world (always been a roadie) and wanted to check to things quick (sorry if its been asked before and for the lack of the correct terminology):

1) I'm converting a relatively new frame (a Swift TI) to a single speed. Most singlespeed cranks are (sqaure) whereas the Swift frame is not. I have herdyou can get an adapter for the crank, any idea what these are called?

2) Also I bought some Shimano brake levers, would I be able to use Campagnolo Veloce Dual Pivot Brake Caliper Set with these? What would the possible issues be for this?

Cheers

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in the making.....

Scott Speedster 2.....sorting the gearing out now. messed up the "fixed" hanger when the derailleur got caught up in the spokes. So I am very limited to what can be used as a tensioner as the thread got damaged when the derailleur got removed.....

Any suggestions?

post-25888-0-28635600-1474267933_thumb.jpg

in the making.....

Scott Speedster 2.....sorting the gearing out now. messed up the "fixed" hanger when the derailleur got caught up in the spokes. So I am very limited to what can be used as a tensioner as the thread got damaged when the derailleur got removed.....

Any suggestions?

BB mounted chain guide from a MTB. If it's a treaded BB with external cups, it'll work like a charm. The single roller type will hide behind the chainring so aesthetics will be maintained. Edited by Ryanpmb

• 2 weeks later...

So the Scott is now done and ready for the maiden flight. Running a 39/12 gearing to test the waters......it comes down to a 1 to 3 ratio......bring on the sweat......

post-25888-0-93495700-1475565745_thumb.jpg

post-25888-0-90262500-1475565757_thumb.jpg

Edited by SilverCracker

So it turns out the thread on my frames BB is toast .... and the LBS can't re-thread it. Can one use a helicoil to get some thread back at all?

If not I will use a liberal dose of epoxy and fix the BB permanently .... once the BB is toast, the frame will have to be binned though.

I did see a GT Meatball this morning at a LBS, and I must say it has my full attention, but not the price unfortunately!

So it turns out the thread on my frames BB is toast .... and the LBS can't re-thread it. Can one use a helicoil to get some thread back at all?

If not I will use a liberal dose of epoxy and fix the BB permanently .... once the BB is toast, the frame will have to be binned though.

I did see a GT Meatball this morning at a LBS, and I must say it has my full attention, but not the price unfortunately!

I think the cotic road rat is still available at woodstock cycle works. Just saying! 

I think the cotic road rat is still available at woodstock cycle works. Just saying! 

tell me more RE price and size if you can recall please!

Haven't ridden in a while and decided I'l start off with what I remember to be one of the most fun riding experiences I've had so far- Fixed Gear.

This one was originally built by Hunter cycles but I added some things.

(I didn't have much of a say with the pedals, they were cheap and easy to come by)

post-8898-0-69347900-1475954451_thumb.jpg

post-8898-0-46762300-1475954470_thumb.jpg

can't find it there

this is the meatball

http://www.grundtner.com/typo3temp/pics/Meatball_1_244578af01.jpg

soooooo....seems the bike is at a price now that I am comfortable .... might just come back from lunch with a little something new :)

soooooo....seems the bike is at a price now that I am comfortable .... might just come back from lunch with a little something new :)

Rad Hairy. I've also got a wee SS I'll collecting in the next few days hier inni kaap. I LOVE this feeling!!!!!