I would like to get some mountain biking tips?

anderzoho

If the terrain looks dodgy, get out the saddle and concentrate on keeping your grip firm (not super tight), and your legs and arms unlocked (not straight).

Your bike is better than you are, and will be for a long time. Trust it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one tip to rule them all....ala lord of the rings

Look where you want to go, not where you want to fall....Focus on the ditch, drop next to narrow bridge or obstacle and you will ride into it.

I crucial part of mountain biking is getting involved in pointless debates on the hub. Take every chance you get to explain why 26" tires are better than 29ers, why Avid brakes suck, which tires are the best, why cleats are better than shoes, why MTB is better than road cycling, why sram is better than shimano, etc etc etc. Then tell everyone you just like riding your bike and that doing races is stupid because the trails are too crowded, and that other riders don't follow proper race etiquette, and that they're too expensive.

In your free time between all that ""important"" stuff, ride your bike as much as possible, but don't take it too seriously. You're probably not gonna turn pro, so who cares if you're the fastest or the best as long as you're having fun. The easiest way to learn stuff tho is ride with people who are more experienced/better than you, and try copy them, except when they fall, cos EVERYONE falls at some point.

Also... riding with a sore bum sucks, so a good cycling pant and a saddle that fits you is important, but at the same time, I usually get over the discomfort after 5 or 10 minutes, so sometimes it's necessary to just HTFU.

Just a btw - don't try and bust the clock.

If there is a section you mess up (the terrible "tap down") get off go back and try again till you get it - no shame!

When starting use flat pedals (not bear traps) you can join the debate about flats or clipless later - JUST DO IT!

Get book "Mastering Mountain Bike Skills" by Brian Lopes and Lee McCormack

Read

Ride for a while and attempt to apply

Read again

Ride a bit more. understand and apply a bit more

Read again

Ride more

Read again and apply

Ride, ride ride especially with guys better than you who are willing to show youwhat's what.

You are now an intermediate rider :D

Feexed

:lol:

Speed is your friend.....when you attempt to ride slowly over most obstacles, "Murphy" will take that as a sign that you are ready for a little "lie down"....;-)

Edited by TheDoc

Speed is your friend.....when you attempt to ride slowly over most obstacles, "Murphy" will take that as a sign that you are ready for a little "lie down"....;-)

Great tip. :thumbup:

Stop now, never get in to mountain biking. It is worse than crack cocaine addiction.

You will look back on this day as the start of your downfall.

Look at all the undesirable fools you are hanging out with already.

Ride as often as possible and most importantly, have fun doing it. You'll learn plenty from those you ride with and through a bit of experience.

One tip I have for you, is: Don't ride behind Captain Cheesy. And it's not just all the beans he eats.

Edited by Jigghead

Loose weight. (You know you’ve got some to loose). :blush:

A couple kilograms lighter makes a big difference. Loose 5 kgs or more and you will feel like you can ride like Sauser up the hills.

I am new to mountain biking. I would like to know more about this sport, and to get mountain biking tips from people who are into mountain biking.

1. Ride more. The more your ride the more you enjoy it & the better you get. *warning* additive

2. http://www.bikejames.com

3. Ride more.

4. The rider / legs > the equipment. Nice equipment is NICE though :D

Dont accept sweets from strangers.....

Only drugs. Drugs are damn expensive.

One tip I have for you, is: Don't ride behind Captain Cheesy. And it's not just all the beans he eats.

I don't eat beans. Its all cos of riding. :ph34r: don't put hubbers off man, trying to rope some in for a ride this weekend :whistling: