MTB Front suspention

Storm 78

Hi guys. I am fearly new to MTB, so yor opinions will help me

I have a Rock Shox Reba dual air fork on my bike. It is a quick release. The problem is that there is a lot of flex in the front wheel when cornering downhill. Should I replace/repair the quick release or invest in a through axel fork?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no expert but I would say the problem is not with the skewer. They don't carry the wait of the bike. They just hold the wheel from falling out. I would look at the rims and spokes. Maybe they aren't weight rated.

I'm no expert but I would say the problem is not with the skewer. They don't carry the wait of the bike. They just hold the wheel from falling out. I would look at the rims and spokes. Maybe they aren't weight rated.

Agree with CraigZa. It is probably the rim. It could also be the spring rate of the shock that gives it that feeling. I have a Rock Shox Revelation (which is a longer travel Reba) and it is very stiff.

It is a Alex rim that came with the scott. You can hear the tyre touching the side of the fork on downhill switchbacks. should I rather get a Stans Arch?

It is a Alex rim that came with the scott. You can hear the tyre touching the side of the fork on downhill switchbacks. should I rather get a Stans Arch?

There's your problem. The Alex rims that come with scott (and Giant) are notoriously soft and badly built. Replace or rebuild with a proper wheel builder and the problem will be solved.

There's your problem. The Alex rims that come with scott (and Giant) are notoriously soft and badly built. Replace or rebuild with a proper wheel builder and the problem will be solved.

Fully agree. Don't know why the Scott's come with such poor wheels. Friend of mine neary lost his teeth when his standard Scott wheels buckled on him. Lots of similar stories on the web.

Personally I prefer stiffness in pretty much all applications...

your reasoning is hard to dispute.