[Event] Varsity College MTB Enduro (12hr,6hr And Team Relay)

Richard Beswick

There's nothing wrong with focusing on the details, but someone who is pedantic makes a big display of knowing obscure facts and details.

Pedantic means "like a pedant" someone who's too concerned with literal accuracy or formality. It's a negative term that implies someone is showing off book learning or trivia, especially in a tiresome way. You don't want to go antique-shopping with a pedantic friend, who will use the opportunity to bore you with his in-depth knowledge of Chinese porcelain kitty-litter boxes.

Seriously???? all this because of Enduro/Endurance? come on!!! get on your bikes and ride the damn race and dont worry about the freaken name

Your post is pedantic. True story.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any of you guys so sensitive about the name which we have used for 3 years actually raced in a "typcial" mtb Enduro?

So you have used the name "Enduro" incorrectly for 3 years.

It doesn't somehow make it correct because it has been happening for a long time.

Any of you guys so sensitive about the name which we have used for 3 years actually raced in a "typcial" mtb Enduro?

Define "typical"...

The real Enduro or your event?

If so, then yes.

http://rjw57.github.io/notes/_images/montoya.jpg

hahahaha!

This made me laugh last year when I saw a certain "MTB Specific" SA Magazine have an article on "Enduro". They even went so far as to say "it's a new racing format, gaining popularity". Further reading of the article indicated that they were indeed writing about your event.

Maybe they got the "New racing format, gaining popularity" as a copy-paste off the Wikipedia page for what everyone else calls "Enduro".

I'm aware of the mx and now mtb enduro term but we have always used it as a shortened form of endurance. maybe one day as enduro gets bigger we will have to change the name but for now im sure people can figure it out.

So you have a European and World series?

You also have multiple current and former World Champion riders taking part in your event?

Funny you ask that. I'd say most of those who have issue with the name confusion have ridden an "Enduro" event as well as an "Endurance" event.

Anywho... renaming your event might not be viable for this year... but possibly something to look at next year. Cos the confusion and frustration will only increase.

Edited by patches

ive got an idea! lets start calling donkeys horses, and why not make scooter sound cool and call it a motorbike!!! :w00t:

I have been doing so for three years... :whistling:

Why don't all you pedantic moaning minnies just give Richard a break.

It's not like there actually is an Enduro scene in SA! (one or two races does not constitute a scene) and the current Enduro series being run in Europe only commenced this year.

And in the words of Mr Min, all Enduro really is, is Gnarly XC.

It's not like there actually is an Enduro scene in SA! (one or two races does not constitute a scene) and the current Enduro series being run in Europe only commenced this year.

AGREE. why dont you stop b!tching about the name and just come ride. Or are you all chicken?????

Hub mtb riders!!!! I will do the 6 hour solo. any takers

post-40228-0-41378400-1374664668_thumb.jpg

Edited by flat29

I agree ... Give Richard a break guys ... the more you complain the worse the image of "Enduro" (the downhill-style one) will get in the minds of the average Joe Mtber ...

But having said that .... Thug - just a correction ... Enduro (the dh one) has been around in Europe for 10 years! with a minimum of 6 different series being held across the continent ...

You are here referring to the Enduro World Series which only started this year.

We just havent heard of it here until now because we are so XCM focussed in SA ... but also by the logic used that 1 or 2 races doesnt constitue a "scene" here in SA ... then the same could be said for Downhill which is very small when compared to Marathon Events. BUT we have a world champion in the discipline ...

So it is fine for Richard to use the term for his event as it is still a small discipline here in SA, but at least he has had the term brought to his attention.

This terminology issue is similar to the south african view of "Cross Country" .... where what should be specified is Cross Country (Olympic) , (Marathon) , (Stage) or (Eliminator) ....

So guys just give the oke a break ... when he gets 150 Full face wearing, 150mm travel bike riding guys rocking up and wondering where the hill is ... he will get the idea! hahahaha

AGREE. why dont you stop b!tching about the name and just come ride. Or are you all chicken?????

Hub mtb riders!!!! I will do the 6 hour solo. any takers

I can't. I sold my 29er and I don't have clipless pedals & disco shoes.

I can't. I sold my 29er and I don't have clipless pedals & disco shoes.

any bike will do, I have a spare with flat pedals that you can use. I will even pay your R200 entry

Edited by flat29