Double Century R6000 per team...your thoughts

Big Mac

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do the sponsors sponsor, the entry fees should cover costs if it doesn't then can someone explain why it doesn't.

The sponsors cover the entry fee, or part of it, or logo'd apparel, or everything. It all depends on their level of involvement, and objectives. Well done on your completed DC's. "Easiest" the current route may be historically, but it remains tough for those attempting it and still needs to be completed before riders receive their medals.

The sponsors cover the entry fee, or part of it, or logo'd apparel, or everything. It all depends on their level of involvement, and objectives. Well done on your completed DC's. "Easiest" the current route may be historically, but it remains tough for those attempting it and still needs to be completed before riders receive their medals.

i'm refering to the DC sponsors ie Coronation

That's only R 2.50 per Km per rider, lets see what the Epic costs /Km ?

Epic is somewhere around R34 per km

We got our entry for the DC as soon as it opened! No one in our team even thought twice about the price. Its an awesomoe event, we booked our accomodation 3 months ago and kit is ordered.

Did my first DC last year was good and am aiming now for sub 6 :)

For R500 per person gives you great incentive to train and not mess around with it.

Also decided to stay in swellendam the night after the race, so hopefully see you guys at the event!

My team from last year is on the website? Maybe I can request a fee for using me a shmodel!

Very keen for this one. Sub 6 the goal

Looking for 11 riders on mountain bikes to tackle the route with me.

Good luck!! ha ha ha...not too many of those around, I'd think...this one is roady territory!!

My thoughts.

If it is to expensive for your taste, then don't enter. Simple.

You have a choice, exercise that choice.

Sorry Slowbee, nothing personal, but this is the kind of view that gets my hackles up.

On a "theoretical" level, choice (and competition) comes from choosing between A, B or C, not between A or not-A.

On an ethical level, complaining about a rip-off does not require a holier-than-though approach --> even if you choose not-A, then you might still be pissed off...

R500 per rider for an iconic SA event like this is very reasonable. Compare it with what you can get for R500 and it starts to look positively like a bargain.

Dinner for 2 at a fair restaurant.

Two bags of groceries from P&P.

1 bottle of Champagne

3 or 4 OK Cuban cigars

1 bike tyre

1 wheel tubeless conversion

4 bunches of flowers for the wife

2 or 3 trashy soft cover novels

1 cheap cycling top

2 pairs of Assos socks

That may be true, if they want to make cycling even more elitist and unaccessable to the masses ..... so much for growing the sport. Imagine the effect on university or development teams that would like to have entered.

Are do you suggesting cycling races should only be for people who are prepared and can afford to pay ridiculous increases?

I think the cost of bicycles and other gear have a far greater effect on making cycling an elitist sport than the cost of event entries. There are plenty of events where the cost is quite low, so this should not deter the "general public" from participating in an event or two. You often find the price rising quite substantially when the entry numbers are limited.

I've seen more than one post where people have complained that certain events are over subscribed. So, do we accept that they'll over subscribe the events in order to charge less, or do we prepare ourselves for the possibility of riding an event where the numbers are limited and therefore, in theory, are better organised?

An entry level bike + helmet + pedals + gloves + shoes + clothing + computer etc. etc. will more often than not come in at well in excess of R10K for the bundle. Unfortunately, not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to afford entry to the sport, never mind the events.

I've seen so many events costing R100-R200 for entry, so I don't think Joe Public is being excluded from the sport, just certain events. Could be that the organisers only want serious riders who are prepared to pay the asking price, possibly in an attempt to keep the level up?

As far as Coro being in it for the money? Maybe not, but they also don't want to loose money.

Just thinking here, I could be way off and many would think I am.

Edited by Jigghead

R500 per rider for an iconic SA event like this is very reasonable. Compare it with what you can get for R500 and it starts to look positively like a bargain.

1 bottle of Champagne

3 or 4 OK Cuban cigars

1 bike tyre

1 cheap cycling top

2 pairs of Assos socks

So its setteled.. fair price.... Dont take the wife/gfriend out do dinner this weekend and enter the DC ...... :thumbup: .....

1 bottle of Champagne

3 or 4 OK Cuban cigars

1 bike tyre

1 cheap cycling top

2 pairs of Assos socks

Clever post.