Sid vs Lefty

Storm 78

Regular Maintenance

All any Lefty requires from time to time is a squirt of Finishline wet lube or other mineral or synthetic oil

Lefty 2012 OMS says telescope should be cleaned and re-greased after 50 hours normal use. 25 hours race.

Clean/ re-oil Air Filter after 50 hours normal use. 25 race.

Needled Bearing reset after every 25 hours

Damping cartridge oil and seal change after 100 hours normal use., 50 hours race.

This obviously has all changed with the redesign in 2013, cant seem to find an owners manual supplement for this version.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Lefty any day!!

With regards to service. R700 for my lefty. R1100 for my Brain fork.

I did have a Sid brain fork. I did love this fork. It was really a great fork. Then I went and bought myself a bike with a lefty.

I absolutely love it. It is so plush I can't describe it. It's a 2013 model so servicing is every 200hrs and bearing reset is a breeze.

I will never ever ride another front suspension in my life. Come hell rain or high water.

Only down side is when it comes to wheels. You can't just buy a wheelset. You need the lefty hub.

Lefty Wheelsets are coming out more and more. Super happy with my xc carbon Easton set and my SLR Mavic set.

Loads of options, even a good crest rim with 240's

Lefty 2012 OMS says telescope should be cleaned and re-greased after 50 hours normal use. 25 hours race.

Clean/ re-oil Air Filter after 50 hours normal use. 25 race.

Needled Bearing reset after every 25 hours

Damping cartridge oil and seal change after 100 hours normal use., 50 hours race.

This obviously has all changed with the redesign in 2013, cant seem to find an owners manual supplement for this version.

Regreasing is obviously the best option but since the dawn of Lefty we've been re-oiling the bearings since the issue is the oil seeping out of the grease applied during service.

With the newer Lefty's they have changed the service requirements and pushed it out as they have adapted the design to meet longer service intervals. The older forks can also achieve these longer service intervals.

Greasing the bearings require the lower leg to be removed. Re oiling is a simple Do-it-Home maintenance task. You choose.

Guess the key word is "re-lubbing" the telescope, which is NB to get them rollers a-rolling, as I have found out the hard way. Esp. in wet conditiions, since the mechanism is not sealed completely (2013 is sealed)

Re-greasing can be done when you do the bearing reset, because the telescope extends and you can get to the surfaces on which the needles roll, give them a wipe and inject some grease, work it in. I pull the boot down and use a cable tie to hold it away from the action.

Taking the whole thing apart is not necessary unless there is a problem, and/or you feel compelled for a major overhaul. Fun and games though!

Guess the key word is "re-lubbing" the telescope, which is NB to get them rollers a-rolling, as I have found out the hard way. Esp. in wet conditiions, since the mechanism is not sealed completely (2013 is sealed)

Re-greasing can be done when you do the bearing reset, because the telescope extends and you can get to the surfaces on which the needles roll, give them a wipe and inject some grease, work it in. I pull the boot down and use a cable tie to hold it away from the action.

Taking the whole thing apart is not necessary unless there is a problem, and/or you feel compelled for a major overhaul. Fun and games though!

I don;t want to get into a pissing match about this but the Bearing lubrication job is listed as a "Dealer" action. That means that some disassembly is required.

The 2013 forks have a wiper at the bottom of the upper leg which will remove the grease you apply to the lower OPI leg. This will create a build up of grease that will trap dirt and damage the wiper. Oil can weep past the wiper but has the disadvantage of perhaps transporting dirt further into the forks upper. Still this is he only way to get oil back in to the grease and maintain the required oil content and additives.

Proper bearing service requires disassembly and re greasing of the bearings and sliders.

Like I said you chose. I've seen the consequences of either action and I know what I prefer.

GoLefty what I am referring to is pre-2013 shocks, and all the Owners Manual Supplements (OMS) I have seen, give instructions as how to clean and re-grease the telescope. I attach a page from the 2011 OMS which illustrates this. The manual also gives instructions as to cleaning and re-oiling the breather filter and the bearing reset. These are downloadable from the Cannondale website.

Beyond that is supposed to be 'dealer' but to be honest, bar JB's outfit, I don't hold much hope or faith. I have yet to lay my hands on a decent service manual, they seem to be kept away from DIY'ers, but mtb forums have been a great help.

2013 models: I thought that was a seal running on the OPI lower shaft, therefore effectively making the shock a sealed unit, so don't really see the point of oiling that exposed shaft, but yet to see a technical diagram on that shock.

2011_Lefty_OMS_Greasing.pdf

GoLefty what I am referring to is pre-2013 shocks, and all the Owners Manual Supplements (OMS) I have seen, give instructions as how to clean and re-grease the telescope. I attach a page from the 2011 OMS which illustrates this. The manual also gives instructions as to cleaning and re-oiling the breather filter and the bearing reset. These are downloadable from the Cannondale website.

Beyond that is supposed to be 'dealer' but to be honest, bar JB's outfit, I don't hold much hope or faith. I have yet to lay my hands on a decent service manual, they seem to be kept away from DIY'ers, but mtb forums have been a great help.

2013 models: I thought that was a seal running on the OPI lower shaft, therefore effectively making the shock a sealed unit, so don't really see the point of oiling that exposed shaft, but yet to see a technical diagram on that shock.

You will notice that the grease is applied to the lower leg were the lower boot rests. this is too aid water shedding under the boot. The grease provides the oil to relube the races.

The same can be achieved by using a heavy oil. The grease used by Cannondale is a nearly a fluid anyway.

The breather filter being oiled is a good thing and that was not provided in previous manuals.

Reading all this..Seems that if you want to ride your bike saturday and sunday, get a SID?

And if you want to ride you bike lekker plush on saturday and spend sunday maintaining it, get a lefty?

So that you know, with Lefty's new 2013 design the bearings reset themselves when the fork bottoms out plus service intervals are only every 200hrs! But yes, pre 2013 service intervals were every 50hrs.

I've never ridden a Lefty but have only heard great things. I've got the 2012 SID which I love.

time to get a lefty bro

Reading all this..Seems that if you want to ride your bike saturday and sunday, get a SID?

And if you want to ride you bike lekker plush on saturday and spend sunday maintaining it, get a lefty?

Not quite - but more suits the rider who does his (or her) own maintenance. Yes, they need a bit of love, but work a treat. Neglect it, and there can be problems.

Edited by kosmonooit

You will notice that the grease is applied to the lower leg were the lower boot rests. this is too aid water shedding under the boot. The grease provides the oil to relube the races.

The same can be achieved by using a heavy oil. The grease used by Cannondale is a nearly a fluid anyway.

The breather filter being oiled is a good thing and that was not provided in previous manuals.

Whatever dood ... greasing the lower surfaces with the split rings out on the top extends the shock out, so the grease applied will work up into the rollers. Taking the OPI / Telescope out what with all those tricky clips just to grease the bearings is def. overkill. but a major service will take the whole thing apart, check the races for signs of wear, pits etc., check the rollers but they don't really wear if cared for, they are all hardened steel. But that needs special tools and more importantly, skills.

http://www.cannondaleexperts.com/assets/images/racesinner_thumbnail.jpg

http://www.cannondaleexperts.com/assets/images/categories/needle-bearings.jpg