Dumped - now needing to be named- Hubbers Help.

The Guy in Pink

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi G I P, you do realize that you won't have any more orange traffic cones left shortly unless you hang them high up on the wall, do you. Young Labs chew things like you can't believe, so give her a steady supply of braai wood, rubber toys, hooves etc. But what you get in return for that is totally unconditional loyalty that makes other dog breeds look like mans worst enemy by comparison. (B t w, I'm a bit biased as I've only ever owned Labs.)

Those cones are easy to "liberate" again, and they are tuff

Went for a cycle and got a totally unexpected new best friend as well! How much of a bonus is that??

Always been partial to Coco for a golden lab, but Marsie seems rightly the crowd favourite!

..................Always been partial to Coco for a golden lab, but Marsie seems rightly the crowd favourite!

No. Coco is reserved for chocolate labs (90% of them are called that, including my dear departed one). Yellows are called Milo, except if they are very white, then it's Blondie, or if they're very reddish, then you call them Rufus (like my current one) or Ginger if a female. All blacks are called Jack (for Blackjack, like my next one will be) or Jill (Jack & Jill went up the hill) if a female.

Does that sound nuts? It's because I am nuts, about Labs anyway.

Edited by DJR

On a bit of an aside.....

There is a lovely story of a British gentleman who was renowned for his great kennel of hounds. In his later years he became very forgetful and he started to call all his dogs "dog". The amazing thing was that he could call any of the specific individuals to him or give it a command by simply calling its name, "dog". The right one would always respond to his command while the rest would not. He became even better known for this and it was only much later that people realized his secret. The dogs reacted strictly to eye contact. If he looked it straight in the eye, it knew that the command was meant for it. Dog wasn't a name to them at all, just a rubbish sound.

Some day I'm going to call a dog of mine "Dog"

On a bit of an aside.....

There is a lovely story of a British gentleman who was renowned for his great kennel of hounds. In his later years he became very forgetful and he started to call all his dogs "dog". The amazing thing was that he could call any of the specific individuals to him or give it a command by simply calling its name, "dog". The right one would always respond to his command while the rest would not. He became even better known for this and it was only much later that people realized his secret. The dogs reacted strictly to eye contact. If he looked it straight in the eye, it knew that the command was meant for it. Dog wasn't a name to them at all, just a rubbish sound.

Some day I'm going to call a dog of mine "Dog"

I have two little mutts (lab x ridgie and lab x rottie) and I use the word "two". If only one is being naughty and I say "two" that one immediately comes "in" (ie to in front of me). If they are both being naughty and I say "two" they both calm down, Sash coming to heel and Dayan coming in, or both going to where I point them to. Amazing what one silly word can do :-)

Vida... It means life and thats what you gave her

Also the feminine of David (the beloved one)

Problem is is you're calling her hen people might be thinking you're looking for the nearest coffee joint...