1x10 conversion - Leonardi Racing/ General Lee Adapter

Ysterperd

Smoovf, sounds great, what's your weight?

I weight in at about 98kg at the moment. Also need to mention that the race was done on a HT, which I think makes it even more impressive that the chains stayed on without the clutch derailer.

The reason I went for the 1x10 is that

• My big blade on my SLX crank had recently lost a tooth at one of the chain pickup spots
  • I like the whole ghetto XX1 feel to the system
  • And I wanted to be different than the "normal" 3x10 and 2x10 masses

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the Burger 60km this weekend on my newly converted 1x10 (Wolftooth 30 blade and 11-36 cluster on 29er). I am still running my XT Shadow RD without clutch and I had absolutely no problems. Chain didn't even hint at coming off and managed to not run out of gears going up or down. Made very sure to only have the 4 links overlap though.

I am so impressed with my purchase.

awesome... thanks for the feedback.

30 on the front? Don't you feel like you need more oomf on the flats? I run a 1x10 on one of my bikes and I have a 36 and 11-36 set up. Granted I rode the 'Die Burger' set up 34/20 and didn't have to push so maybe training on a SS will help you ride stronger gears on your 1x set up to get more out of it?

I like the 1x but to be fair, its a bit glamorous... If you are a top racer and you can climb fast and strong and recover quickly then go for it, but if you are an average joe the super steep punchy climbs will take a lot out of your legs and on long multi stage or super long (120km plus) day rides its better to preserve the energy and have something in the tank so you don't cramp or run out of gas towards the end.

Each to their own though. There is no right or wrong way to ride bikes as long as you're having fun..

Hi singlespeedGuy

I went for the 30 on the front as I was more concerned about my climbing than flat end speed. I check some gear calculations and noticed that the 30 with my 11-36 would essentially give me the same gearing as 2 down from granny on my 24-34-42 and only one gear up from middle chain ring and the 11 and 4 geasr from the bottom on the big blade.

I noticed during my commutes that the more days I commute consecutively the less sense it make to grind out a gear and the more sense it makes to rather spin. I have only commuted once with the new setup, but was still able to cruise at 35 – 38km/h on the 30/11 lowest gear.

Regarding the multi day or really long stages, I have no finance or opportunities to do them at the moment. My needs currently are at best the local races or doing the trails at Tygerberg.

This was my 3rd Burger 60km and was by far my best result yet with very so-so fitness. I did ride with a buddy though and feel that if I didn’t have to wait for him it may have been my best time yet at this event.

I totally agree with you regarding each to their own. At this moment and the type of ride that I am doing, and planning to do, this setup is absolutely awesome for me.

1x10 is great, you don't need to be a world cup XCO racer, first ran 1x9 in 2010 (with a chain guide) love it even more now without the clutter of a chain guide with my wolf ring.....descided for a 34 as I was running a 32 with 11-34 in my 29er, now back rto smaller wheels so went with a 34 and a 11-36 at the back.......fortunately I'm not into stage races for 100km MTB rides.....

I had a 2x9 set up previously (before 2x10 became readily available) - 26/36 rings (on a 29er)...and always found my self in the wrong gear and was shifting between the front chain rings too often, whereas when I had a triple, I just sat in the middle blade all day......

I rode 75km in Burger MTB race and I use 32 on front and 11-34 at the back. It was fantastic and I ran out of energy on last climb. I struggled with 34, so I better change to 11-36. It will work perfectly.. Happy with it..

The Smoovf

Good to hear you're enjoying it. That essentially is really all that counts.

The spinning out issue is always a big concern for me and trying to fit the right ratio's is sometimes an issue. But your way of dealing with that is exactly correct. Go easy so the climbing doesn't kill you! Agree wholeheartedly.

I was running my AR bike (a hardtail GFish ex-cal 29er and my only bike with any sort of suspension) 1x10 but banged a granny ring and fd on it just for the punchy climbs and run it 34/24 up front now. I leave it on the big (medium size) ring almost always except for those retarded gradient beasts that would otherwise leave me wondering when my legs had been swapped for jelly.

I say be gone with gears entirely, ride rigid steel SS and REALLY start enjoying it!

I ordered one of these General Lee adapters from Evo on Friday, got it first thing Monday morning, installed it last night, had to make some adjustments to the gears but took about 10 minutes from start to end. Gears shift well and I've got a nice range now on my 1x10 setup (11-40 / 34) will change the front ring out with a 36T at some point but I think this is as good as it gets on 1x10 and works out way cheaper than going full XX1, I'm running XX and XX1 Crankset.

ALSO ON 1X10 , 11 34 and 34 front , but hold on watch this space the need is there and you will see larger back cassettes like up to 42 coming out and also improvement on the RD similar to the XX1 RD .

Seriously you don't need more then 1x 10 or 1x11 yes maybe some different cassettes and always the option to change the front ring if need be , but I love the clean feel and simplicity of the 1x 10 set up and that chain aint goin no where it sits like a fly on S^&**

No a Chainguide does NOT need a Clutch Type RD so you will save that as well...

between a chain guide and clutch RD Ill take the clutch RD - mine works like a bomb and looks clean

I ordered one of these General Lee adapters from Evo on Friday, got it first thing Monday morning, installed it last night, had to make some adjustments to the gears but took about 10 minutes from start to end. Gears shift well and I've got a nice range now on my 1x10 setup (11-40 / 34) will change the front ring out with a 36T at some point but I think this is as good as it gets on 1x10 and works out way cheaper than going full XX1, I'm running XX and XX1 Crankset.

Did you need to change your derraileur and what size deraileur cage do you ride with?

Did you need to change your derraileur and what size deraileur cage do you ride with?

No, it works fine with mine, I've got the XX with the short cage (80mm), I suppose the proof is in the pudding and I may still have issues but I doubt it.

I read up on some of the reviews and the 10 speed RD's supposedly cannot work with a 40 or 42 but guys that have tested it for months with standard 10spd RD's say its fine.