Corima aero vs zipp 303 or 404?

Tjokkits

New to the aero wheel story, think the above more or less same price give or take a k or so. Have been using hubbys corimas for a while but would like some views on how they compare to zipp which seems to be a more widely used wheel. Also views on303 vs 404

Zipp 303 is a more all rounder type of wheel with less rim height so possibly better in a sidewind than 404. Weight limit is identical 113kgs. 303 is 30g lighter per set in FC clinchers.

Only agents I know of for Corima are Complete Cyclist. Alot of the lighter Corimas are tubbies. They have sub 1500g clinchers but they don't list weight limits. They generally use less spokes than Zipps and IMO way more sexier than Zipps. Zipps have a good reputation but are so dare I say common. What is your main use going to be, budget, tubbies or clinchers etc. For what bike also.

Looking for good reliable all rounder, made piece with the cost. Clinchers definately. Initially raleigh frame until i upgrade havent looked much at frames but like BH. I know with 303 some frames can be too narrow

Looking for good reliable all rounder, made piece with the cost. Clinchers definately. Initially raleigh frame until i upgrade havent looked much at frames but like BH. I know with 303 some frames can be too narrow

Corima and BH go hand in hand.!

I believe Complete Cyclist is the agent for both.

Perhaps now is the time to talk a good deal on both. :whistling:

I don't think there's much to choose between the wheels ... I suppose there's various research projects which may tell a different story.

Zipp appears to be a a more marketable product with so many pro teams using it.

That said, Vino won the Olympic gold and Nibali the Giro on Corima. :thumbup:

Zipp 404 are the business. Not as bad in crosswinds as everyone thinks although you do feel them!

The plus side is they fast as hell and you wont catch me in a tailwind!

Zipps are the best racing wheels money can buy. A lot of top pros use Zipps even when sponsored by other brands. Some notable ones were Lance Armstrong and Mark Cavendish.

There are lighter wheels (AX Lightness/Tune/Enve/Extralight combos) but Zipps are very light and in SA the difference in weight does not help much.

Zipp all the way in my book.

Speak to Mike Hewan at complete cyclist: 086 111 6230.

They stock both corimas and bh frames. Service is excellent and Mike will be able to sort something out for you! It's definitely worth it...

I have been riding Corima aero clinchers for about 3 years. Buttery smooth hubs and a joy to ride!

For a lady wanting clincher, I would most certainly recommend the ZIPP 303, you wont get a better balance of quality, weight and performance.

But saying that, why not look at the BlackSpade lightweight 38mm clinchers, they are good quality for a great price and you can upgrade something else as well?

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/58839-black-spade-racing-super-lite/

Edited by JA-Q001

In terms of aerodynamics, the Firecrest is supperior. Not many other clinchers compares to the Firecrest Clinchers.

The Firecrest are awesome in crosswinds!

303 = 45mm profile

404 = 58mm profile

A better all rounder for a lady, 303.

For me, 404 no doubt, it look saxier and I need every bit of an aero advantage I can get when trying to catch up with the mountain goats on the descent.

I hear the darkhorse wheels are nice and light and are at a good price (less than 10 000 for the set) (not sure exactly)

Been on Corima's for 5yrs , on my 2nd new version set. They are for one stronger than Zipps! Press the rim sidewall/fairing and feel for yourself! Corima has the torsion box, Zipp's flexes. I once rode on a flat rear Corima for 10kms to the race finish(94.7) , it stayed tru , and didnt require replacement. And yes, lastly alot sexier than Zipps :)

btw, yes the pro teams are on zipps,(marketing) , but they dont divulge how many are replaced by the sponsor.. You & I cant afford to replace R20k wheels !

(i once read "behind the scenes Paris-Roubaix" , where they said how many Zipp rims the teams went thru )

Edited by shade

New to the aero wheel story, think the above more or less same price give or take a k or so. Have been using hubbys corimas for a while but would like some views on how they compare to zipp which seems to be a more widely used wheel. Also views on303 vs 404

My BH with Corima wheels

I dont think there's much in it but I have heard the Corima is stronger.

In terms of braking they are both as good as each other

Looks great on the BH

post-14048-0-86631900-1376747995_thumb.jpg

My BH with Corima wheels

I dont think there's much in it but I have heard the Corima is stronger.

In terms of braking they are both as good as each other

Looks great on the BH

Stunning bike. What is the weight of it? Are the wheels clincher or tubular?