MotoGP

SeaBee

Just pick up Lorenzo's dummy and put it back in for him please...

Didn't he used to suck on Chupa Chups?

Look no matter how you try and shift blame or paint it, JL is whiny. This doesn't come from one incident or one journalists question, it's a reputation that he has gotten over years of moaning about things.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great ride by Dani ....

Always liked him even though he has not been a real title contender for the past few years .

Vr46 was his usual self .... Fast .

MM was disappointing , but racking up the points . 

And JLo was his whiney self ....

Didn't he used to suck on Chupa Chups?

Look no matter how you try and shift blame or paint it, JL is whiny. This doesn't come from one incident or one journalists question, it's a reputation that he has gotten over years of moaning about things.

A bit like Stoner then ! haha, now I'm stirring ... was he not known as Stoner the Moaner

I see Brad Binder has now officially been announced as the Moto2 KTM rider on a 2 year deal .

Gonna be awesome to watch , just hope they will be competitive within a reasonable time ( new bike and all ) .

Please excuse my ignorance, but it has been a while since I followed Moto GP and so I know about as much about it as Patchelicious knows about bicycles in the below  R150k price bracket. :ph34r:  :ph34r:

BinB did not seem to have had as much straight-line speed as some others on Sunday, but could use the slipstream, braking and big balls in the bends to thrash them.

How big is the gap between Moto 2 and 3 and what can one deduce from dominant success in Moto3 ? Can one tell how good he really is or can be on the MotoGP stage ?

I remember Rossi coming through 125 and 250 before hitting GP. Is that still the path way to the top ?

That I got, my question is specifically about can one extrapolate success in GP3 to success in the bigger classes.

Does the riding style need to differ and are different skills needed?

I suppose in short, can Binder go all the way , and if so is it likely, possible of highly unlikely .

That I got, my question is specifically about can one extrapolate success in GP3 to success in the bigger classes.

I suppose in short, can Binder go all the way , and if so is it likely, possible of highly unlikely .

No, one can't. Different riding style - apparently the GP2 bikes are along the lines of blat it as hard as you can, brake like hell, tip it and just hope it grips. GP3 is all about smoothness and carrying as much speed as possible through the corners with minimum braking. Moto is a mix. Can't blat it too early, far more tyre management problems, more difficult to slow downdue to the size difference, etc etc.

And then you have the different bikes with different characteristics, power delivery differences, tyre management differences, etc etc.

It's almost a case of learning from day dot. I think Marquez is the first person to actually successfully make the leap in the new generation (post 2 stroke) and be on from from the beginning. 

While success in the smaller classes is no guarantee to success on the big bikes it's certainly a precursor. All of the current crop of fast guys came from the smaller classes and looking down the grid it's only Cal Crutchlow( I could en wrong here) that comes from a Supersport background.

To just get a ride in the Moto gp championship is a huge deal and it's much easier to showcase yourself from within the same paddock.

By the sounds of things Binder has been earmarked by KTM to lead their program going forward. Much like Marquez for HRC who was earmarked and had teams built around him from very early on.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

While success in the smaller classes is no guarantee to success on the big bikes it's certainly a precursor. All of the current crop of fast guys came from the smaller classes and looking down the grid it's only Cal Crutchlow( I could en wrong here) that comes from a Supersport background.

To just get a ride in the Moto gp championship is a huge deal and it's much easier to showcase yourself from within the same paddock.

By the sounds of things Binder has been earmarked by KTM to lead their program going forward. Much like Marquez for HRC who was earmarked and had teams built around him from very early on.

I'd like to see the delineation between the guys that came up from 125 & 250 vs the 4 strokers.

Would make for interesting comparison

I see Brad Binder has now officially been announced as the Moto2 KTM rider on a 2 year deal .

Gonna be awesome to watch , just hope they will be competitive within a reasonable time ( new bike and all ) .

Is he still going to be riding for Aki Ajo? Would love to see him riding with Zarco as a teammate!

I'd like to see the delineation between the guys that came up from 125 & 250 vs the 4 strokers.

Would make for interesting comparison

I always wanted the guys coming across from WSBK to come across and kick ass. WSBK feels more blue collar so scumbags like me identify with it more readily. Sadly no one from SBK has ever come across and made a big impact.

Eddy; one of the things BiB commented on after the race was how his team got his gearing spot on for the circuit and this enabled him to be quicker than other riders in crucial places.

Yeah, in those small bikes, the right gearing makes a HUGE difference to acceleration out the corners. 

Eddy; one of the things BiB commented on after the race was how his team got his gearing spot on for the circuit and this enabled him to be quicker than other riders in crucial places.

That knowledge of machine and circuit that allows a team to optimise the laptime is crucial, so I hope that KTM will put sufficient budget behind the development of their GP2 bike and their campaign to get them up to speed quickly.

I remember Kork Ballington winning 250 & 350 world champ titles on a Kawa and then moving to 500 with Kawasaki and getting nowhere.

Also, Jon Ekerold who won the 250 world title as a privateer riding a Yamaha engined Bimota he built himself before moving unsuccessfully to 500 cc in a new Cagiva team.

These two South African guys really had our hearts beating faster in the early 80's even though I had a Suzuki at the time. At least they weren't on Hondas.

Edited by eddy