MotoGP

SeaBee

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmmm. Just looking at that pic has me wondering why Duc are the ONLY ONES putting some of their electronics (accelerometers and inclinometers, and such) in the tailpiece (as seen from lhs of bike, front wheel facing left) cos there's no ways that they would have shaped their tailpiece with a fin down one side and then a cutout for the zorst that means imbalanced airflow, if it didn't make a difference in the data.

The salad box (as SK mentioned below) arrived with some radical aero innovations from Ducati's side, which eliminated a lot of space behind the front fairing, necessitating the need to move the electronics elsewhere. They've just not bothered to move it back after that.

And in fairness, looking at CFD simulations, not too much air that actually hits the tailpiece as it passes around the rider, so there's not too much real affect by not having a symmetrical tailpiece.

Edit: Took me a while to find the correct picture, but it coincided with the arrival of this monstrosity (no not Jorge)

Edit: Okay not actually coincided. The salad box came first and everyone was ooohh aaahh, Ducati are going to use a variable jet exhaust to halt wheelies, or it's some sort of mass damper, or whatever. Then a few weeks later a light aircraft arrived in pit lane.

1fi7hj6.jpg

Edited by bertusras

Gigi is not from this planet

Some eagle-eyed reporters picked this up some time ago, but for the first time think that they can confirm what it is.

https://twitter.com/gponedotcom/status/1093421876565569536/photo/1

Seems that it's a mechanical lockout for the rear shock (no electronic suspension control is permitted) at the start of the race, to prevent the bike from squatting under acceleration, thereby generating better drive. Motocross have a similar thing on the front forks, which drops the nose of the bike down.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtkxVPxh74y

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtkyUjCBwZv

Okay scrap yesterday's post, six guys UNDER the previous fastest lap this morning.

pyZg9zg.png

Bagnaia! take that 

Okay scrap yesterday's post, six guys UNDER the previous fastest lap this morning.

pyZg9zg.png

I am happy to see the development though.

Yamaha and Ducati displaying some hideous wing designs (I thought these were being phased out or banned???)

Marquez being kept off new tyres and having limited track time by his team and physio.

Its looking good for the years racing, lots of rookies in the mix but you wonder how much of it was just a shootout for the fastest times.......

I am happy to see the development though.

Yamaha and Ducati displaying some hideous wing designs (I thought these were being phased out or banned???)

Marquez being kept off new tyres and having limited track time by his team and physio.

Its looking good for the years racing, lots of rookies in the mix but you wonder how much of it was just a shootout for the fastest times.......

I also thought so, I'm positive they were forcing teams to remove/alter them during the middle of last season...

Nope. No changes to aero rules.

They need to be a closed loop. So start from the fairing panel and end there too. No more hanging off edges, if everyone follows.

Interesting to see the development. Old tech like brake stabilizing bars from the 90's to MotoX launch tech used by Honda in BSB racing in the early 2000's,

I see even Honda has tested a "salad box".......

https://www.visordown.com/features/top-10s/top-ten-coolest-motogp-liveries

From the Guys at Visordown.

My favorite was the Camel Honda and Camel Yamaha - we did a BWhiz Camel Replica when I was at Yamaha and it was really nicely done!

I can think of so many better liveries though, their list is very unimaginative but I understand it is also personal preference. Here are my favourites, everyone's list will differ. Can't please everyone, all the time

Stoner's "milkybar kid"

post-35569-0-66155900-1550143558.jpg

Lorenzo/Rossi's 50th anniversary colours

post-35569-0-09186500-1550143591.jpg

Vermeulen's Sheene replica

post-35569-0-94369200-1550143614_thumb.jpg

Pedrosa's Aragon, think it was a terminally ill kid's design

post-35569-0-62403800-1550143656.jpg

Nicky Hayden

post-35569-0-24710900-1550143677.jpg