MotoGP

SeaBee

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't lie, I didn't know each brand had their own rev limit.

I thought you were given all the limits first, and then you build an engine and bike around it.

In laymans terms, the manufacturer builds a bike which has a maximum rev limit and WSBK then knocks off 500rpm off that. So you need a bike with a good spread of power not all right at the top.

Sooooooo basically if you want more revs, then build the bike, homologate it an then race it. Before the V4S thats exactly what Kawasaki did actually.

In laymans terms, the manufacturer builds a bike which has a maximum rev limit and WSBK then knocks off 500rpm off that. So you need a bike with a good spread of power not all right at the top.

Sooooooo basically if you want more revs, then build the bike, homologate it an then race it. Before the V4S thats exactly what Kawasaki did actually.

Not quite. 

Mark Bracks: So the changes for the year, what do they entail and what do they mean?

Scott Smart: “Basically we’ve got a bunch of new riders on a bunch of new bikes and as a result they need starting points for the revs. The way the revs starting point works; you take the street bike, check where the rev limiter is, which is the most horrifying thing on the dyno runs in the factory, and that gives us standard street bike max revs, and we add three per cent to that and it gives us a figure. “We also do a bunch of dyno runs and step tests to let us know to the nearest 100rpm to where the maximum power is. We then add 1100rpm to that, and of those two figures we use the lower ones. That way none of the manufacturers can put a fake really high rev limiter in it. We get basically a sensible point of the power curve to define the rev limit, relative to the street bike.”

Mark Bracks: That answers the question everyone is asking me, why the Ducatis have so many more rpm to play with…

Scott Smart: “So basically when you rev that thing on the dyno, it’ll go to 16,500rpm in top gear, unreal – you’ve never seen it before in a 1000cc superbike. So in most gears it’s 16,000rpm, and top gear is up to 16500rpm. Almost like over-run, I don’t want to even think what speed you could do on the thing, and it also makes quite a lot of horsepower doesn’t it.

“If we based it on 16,000 or 16,500rpm plus 3 per cent we’d be 16,500-16,600 plus, or 17,000 in top, but that would be unrealistic, as the bike makes its peak horsepower at 15,250, so we add the 1100 to that, and get 16,350rpm, which is where we set the rev limiter and that seems pretty reasonable. But it does seem to be ripping down the straight quite quickly.”

So again, Ducati have read the rules and built a cracking bike with a usable spread of power not just a huge dollop right at the limiter.

Thanks for the article, interesting how they gave it that "over-run" in top gear.

I wonder what its retail price would have been if it wasn't for the 40k cap imposed on homologation models...........

So again, Ducati have read the rules and built a cracking bike with a usable spread of power not just a huge dollop right at the limiter.

Thanks for the article, interesting how they gave it that "over-run" in top gear.

I wonder what its retail price would have been if it wasn't for the 40k cap imposed on homologation models...........

Yeah, I reckon the over-run is to prevent the riders from taking it too far past the peak power RPM and losing out on acceleration. It's not always good to go to the limit in every gear, if peak power is 1250RPM below that. 

Yeah, I reckon the over-run is to prevent the riders from taking it too far past the peak power RPM and losing out on acceleration. It's not always good to go to the limit in every gear, if peak power is 1250RPM below that. 

It's fine. As long as somebody else pays for the engine rebuilds  :thumbup:

I do believe Rins will be in the mix too this time. That guy will win races this year

Booyah!

Bloo-dy-hell!!

I see Marc has said it was his mistake but the fall look super weird. Like he geared down and when he started feeding the clutch out it just bit and locked the rear wheel. Either way it made for a much more exciting race.

Did not watch it, seems it was a nail-biting affair at the end.

Where is the okes now that wrote Rossi off as a has been? There is still a lot of fight left in that old dog.

Sir Crashalot did what he normally does, bin it. JL did what he normally does, ride poorly and then blame everyone else. MM did what he does not normally do, crashed while in the lead.

Leaving Valé and Rins to fight for the win.  (all this I saw on the highlight package after the race) 

Edited by Wannabe

Sir Crashalot did what he normally does, bin it. JL did what he normally does, ride poorly and then blame everyone else. MM did what he does not normally do, crashed while in the lead.

Leaving Valé and Rins to fight for the win. (all this I saw on the highlight package after the race)

I see now, top placed Honda was 10th. Edited by Patchelicious

What happened to the Binder Brothers? I was Watching Moto3 and Darryn was in a podium spot doing well, go feed a baby and he's 11th!!!. Missed the start of Moto2 and when I did start watching I didn't see Brad in the race. 

Glad MM didn't win again.