MotoGP

SeaBee

Some media on it

Honda riders complain of MotoGP winglet turbulence

http://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/honda-riders-complain-of-motogp-winglet-turbulence-680351/?s=1

Riders could get “sliced” by MotoGP winglets, Crutchlow warns

http://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/riders-could-get-sliced-by-motogp-winglets-crutchlow-warns-680218/?s=1

http://cdn-7.motorsport.com/images/amp/YEE3zqqY/s6/motogp-qatar-march-testing-2016-andrea-iannone-ducati-team.jpg

Not sure why Crutchlow is worried, in order to be sliced by a wing you need to actually be infront of somebody when you crash.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So plenty reliable source saying Jl has already signed with Ducati. Waiting on the European rounds for an announcement.

Must say I actually hope he has.

Get out of the old man's shadow....

That was a much better race.

Yes it wasn't ideal with the pit stop but it was the same for everyone at the end of the day.

Lorenzo looked spooked before the race even started, possibly thinking too much of his Ducati money........

Marquez looked unbeatable, yes Rossi hassled him in the first half but he looked to have it under control. Rode the same consistent pace in both halves. He looked on rails!!

What can you say about the Ducati's, they just cannot get a break. That was a bonehead move by Iannone.

Vinales was just unlucky, one lapse and he paid the ultimate price but that Suzuki is looking good.

That was a much better race.

Yes it wasn't ideal with the pit stop but it was the same for everyone at the end of the day.

Lorenzo looked spooked before the race even started, possibly thinking too much of his Ducati money........

Marquez looked unbeatable, yes Rossi hassled him in the first half but he looked to have it under control. Rode the same consistent pace in both halves. He looked on rails!!

What can you say about the Ducati's, they just cannot get a break. That was a bonehead move by Iannone.

Vinales was just unlucky, one lapse and he paid the ultimate price but that Suzuki is looking good.

Sorry disagree, that pit stop buggered up a perfectly good race for 1st and 3rd

I missed the qualification and practises leading up to the race and had to watch the race on RAI so the commentary was all in Italian (i love the way they say Rossi and Ducati btw) so i had no idea there was a tyre issue and a planned pitstop, when i saw it start happening i thought WTF is going on, has F1 stuck its nose into Moto GP now???

Hopefully we don't have to go through another mandatory pit stop again, just let them race

;)

Edit: Was it my imagination....but there seemed to be a lot more people than normal crashing out loosing grip? MAybe its just because of the way the Italian commentators shout every time it happened...

Edited by SwissVan

Agree with you Swiss, a LOT of frontend washes, incl the Ianone one at the end. Think everybody but Rossi fell at T1 at some stage over the weekend. 

The two guys I felt worst for was Vinalez and Redding - to have the 2nd bike go on him after his wheel experiences on Sat...

Interesting season ahead. Amazing how Honda turned it around, MM looked very ominous.

Agree with you Swiss, a LOT of frontend washes, incl the Ianone one at the end. Think everybody but Rossi fell at T1 at some stage over the weekend. 

The two guys I felt worst for was Vinalez and Redding - to have the 2nd bike go on him after his wheel experiences on Sat...

Interesting season ahead. Amazing how Honda turned it around, MM looked very ominous.

Honda is nowhere without Marquez, DP finished almost 30sec. behind him. Rossi and DP were both very lucky to be on the podium yesterday.

JL seems to not want to race if everything is not going his way, he even seems to lose interest and stop concentrating. A bit one dimensional from him.

I wonder how much difference there are in the 2 bikes each rider has. They always seem to have a favorite one, but surely they should be identical? As I understand MM started the race on bike 2, and did the 2nd halve on bike 1, Rossi other way around, might explain why Rossi was faster in 1st halve and MM 2nd halve?

Edited by Kraggie

Honda is nowhere without Marquez, DP finished almost 30sec. behind him. Rossi and DP were both very lucky to be on the podium yesterday.

JL seems to not want to race if everything is not going his way, he even seems to lose interest and stop concentrating. A bit one dimensional from him.

That's what he is, though, IMO. He's fantastic at the front, but if he's not there... 

That's what he is, though, IMO. He's fantastic at the front, but if he's not there... 

QUOTED: "The Spaniard explained that a lack of focus led to him going off-line slightly at turn one, sending him into the path of a damp patch.

A difficult corner because there was just a tight line that was completely dry. The other lines had a lot of damp patches, so if you enter a little too fast or too wide it was difficult to stay on the bike,” he said. “Unfortunately I made a mistake. Normally in dry or with full wet I'm very focussed, very concentrate. But today I wasn't riding very well, or focussed for these particular conditions.

Why weren't you as focussed?

Because I wasn't competitive. Because the patches were there and didn't dry up. And I wasn't competitive enough to be as fast as the other riders. They stayed on the bike and I didn't.”

So, he focuses LESS when conditions are not ideal ... with an attitude like that he should hope it's all dry races in the future.
Edited by Kraggie

QUOTED: "The Spaniard explained that a lack of focus led to him going off-line slightly at turn one, sending him into the path of a damp patch.

A difficult corner because there was just a tight line that was completely dry. The other lines had a lot of damp patches, so if you enter a little too fast or too wide it was difficult to stay on the bike,” he said. “Unfortunately I made a mistake. Normally in dry or with full wet I'm very focussed, very concentrate. But today I wasn't riding very well, or focussed for these particular conditions.

Why weren't you as focussed?

Because I wasn't competitive. Because the patches were there and didn't dry up. And I wasn't competitive enough to be as fast as the other riders. They stayed on the bike and I didn't.”

So, he focuses LESS when conditions are not ideal ... with an attitude like that he should hope it's all dry races in the future.

suppose it's a case of not worrying about the changing conditions, and just thinking "okay, it's dry, I can ride like THIS" or "It's wet, I have to ride like THAT"

Inclement conditions are his kryptonite, it would seem... 

I watched the qualifie and the race, but in neither of those broadcasts did they say WHY there was this stupid pit stop? They kept saying "flag to flag" but why the hell would you force people into a dangerous situation on racing in out of the pits to change bikes for no reason?

I wonder how much difference there are in the 2 bikes each rider has. They always seem to have a favorite one, but surely they should be identical? As I understand MM started the race on bike 2, and did the 2nd halve on bike 1, Rossi other way around, might explain why Rossi was faster in 1st halve and MM 2nd halve?

Nope, MM kept the same pace all race long on both bikes. Rossi couldn't keep the pace on his second bike. He bemoaned it in his interview post race.

I heard the Yamaha engineers could hear a faint whining sound on his second bike in Parc ferme. This was however confirmed not to be a bike issue as the whining continued even after the bike was switched off.........

Seriously though, the way I see it is that the race was not ideal but it was equal for everyone. These situations separate the true racers from the rest, as you saw with Jl imploding spectacularly.

Oh big up to Brad Binder, leading the Moto3 championship now.

I watched the qualifie and the race, but in neither of those broadcasts did they say WHY there was this stupid pit stop? They kept saying "flag to flag" but why the hell would you force people into a dangerous situation on racing in out of the pits to change bikes for no reason?

Reddings rear tyre delaminated, hitting him on the back ... like Baz had in the Sepang testing.

So they were cautious to run full distance with the tyre, thus split the race up in 2 halves for safety. As well as forcing the riders to run a higher minimum pressure.

Because there was a catastrophic failure of Scott Reading's rear tyre on the free practice, and Michelin removed BOTH rear tyre options as they shared the same construction characteristics. They introduced another Hard option, but Race Direction limited the stints to 10 laps for safety reasons. 

Michelin need to up their game, properly. 

Michelen weren't happy with the tyres. Was a safety issue. AFAIK.