The power of a hub?

Journosergio

Hey guys,

I'm gonna get a wheelset built for me and wanted to know something...

Looking at rims, spokes, nipples, hubs and all that, I noticed that there seems to be a rave about Hope hubs and wanted to know what that's all about?

My current Shimano hubs have never failed me, even when my rims themselves are buckled to high heaven.

Besides working properly (or so I think), am I missing out on some kind of mind-blowing performance of a premium hub?

Or is it just a brand name, with some too-fancy engineering that adds moderate performance and weighing close to nothing?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope are certainly not lighter, not cheaper, have more bits, but are made very well. They are not pumped out by an injection moulding machine, they are machined and made with much love by the Poms, are easily serviceable and no problem getting spares. And they sound good. And look good.

Edited by kosmonooit

Hope are certainly not lighter, not cheaper, have more bits, but are made very well. They are not pumped out by an injection moulding machine (they are machined), are easily serviceable and no problem getting spares. And the sound good. And look good.

..... and won't make you any faster :ph34r:

Hope is a UK product obviously designed for UK weather which as you know is kuk...wet...muddy. Their seals components are made with that in mind. So when you use them in sunny SA, they loving life and you almost never have to open them up to replace bearings.

Ok but as you know, your strength is also your weakness....they don't spin as freely as other hubs...DT-Swiss 240's as an example will spin forever and a day. So and I might be wrong here, I am pretty sure because of the number of seals and seal designs they impart some sort of drag on the hubs....not much, but enough for me to be noticeable.

To all the hope lovers out there....I have a set and love them for what they are, so not trying to knock them, just saying it like it is

Flamesuit on

Hope is a UK product obviously designed for UK weather which as you know is kuk...wet...muddy. Their seals components are made with that in mind. So when you use them in sunny SA, they loving life and you almost never have to open them up to replace bearings.

Ok but as you know, your strength is also your weakness....they don't spin as freely as other hubs...DT-Swiss 240's as an example will spin forever and a day. So and I might be wrong here, I am pretty sure because of the number of seals and seal designs they impart some sort of drag on the hubs....not much, but enough for me to be noticeable.

so they make you slower... :whistling:

so they make you slower... :whistling:

You said it, not me....get your flamesuit on brother.

I have a set, like I mentioned before....they are really fit and forget hubs. Very easy to maintain, if you need to. I am still convinced they don't spin as freely as others because of the weather they were designed for. I don't have any numbers to backup these claims though so pure speculation.

Roux I know what you are saying, but more seals are good, I dont think that the extra drag is a significant. I fly down the hills, but that's me, something to do with my mass rather than the hubs.

I would venture to say they are over-engineering, but this is also a good thing. The bearings are very protected, and I have yet to have any bearing problems on any of my many Hope hubs.

But then I am a fan bouy - fell in love with Hope now over 10 years ago with my first Hope product - a Mono Mini brakeset, which still serves we well.

Edited by kosmonooit

Roux I know what you are saying, but more seals are good, I dotn thing that extra drag is a significant. I fly down the hiils, but that's me, something to do with my mass rather than the hubs.

I would venture to say they are over-engineering, but this is also a good thing. The bearings are very protected, and I have yet to have any bearing problems on any of my many Hope hubs.

But then I am a fan bouy - fell in love with Hope now over 10 years ago with my first Hope product - a Mono Mini brakeset, which still serves we well.

100% true....I am very much in favour of fit and forget items on a bike. They are well engineered, well made hubs and would gladly buy another set, if only my current set will die....which they won't as you.

what about the following

tune hubs

fire eye hubs

circus monkey

now you talking, but they are big moola and use smaller bearings due bearings being a great place to save weight. So you have to replace more often

Prince and princess?