[Event] NISSAN TRAILSEEKER #3 Van Gaalens

Tim_Fair

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 1st VG...half marathon. Enjoyed the ride despite the big fall coming off the mountain around the 20km mark. Thanks to guys who stopped to sort me out. Despite a big gash on my head, puncture and cramps near the end, the ride was good. Just need to sort out the cramping though...very frustrating and certainly a sense of humour killer.

does any one have some indication of the gradients of the climbs ?

Concrete strips

Distance 0.5km

Avg Grade 12.9%

Elev Difference 59m

Elev Gain 59m

Chunder Hill (the climb next to the razor Wire)

Distance 1.2km

Avg Grade 4.1%

Elev Difference 49m

Elev Gain 49m

Mine Shaft (the bit after Chunder Hill, when you go through a fence and up the koppie:

Distance 0.6km

Avg Grade 7.6%

Elev Difference 44m

Elev Gain 44m

Edited by Riaan Coetzee

does any one have some indication of the gradients of the climbs ?

One easy way to get an indication is to do the following:

Download Google Earth.

Find specific route you are interested in.

Activate distance measure function (ruler icon) at top of screen.

Select "path" tab.

Follow and plot route (will give you distance measurement)

Save route (plot line turns red).

Right click on plot line and select profile function.

Profile given at bottom with all necessary info.

Hope this gives you the info you are looking for (or just consult your legs to get an indication).

Concrete strips

Distance 0.5km

Avg Grade 12.9%

Elev Difference 59m

Elev Gain 59m

Chunder Hill (the climb next to the razor Wire)

Distance 1.2km

Avg Grade 4.1%

Elev Difference 49m

Elev Gain 49m

Mine Shaft (the bit after Chunder Hill, when you go through a fence and up the koppie:

Distance 0.6km

Avg Grade 7.6%

Elev Difference 44m

Elev Gain 44m

first time doing this on 1x10 11/34 back and 34 front so its a good indication of whats possible and if another gear can help

wasnt a grazy climbing race , but a 36 or even 38 back would help with climbs on a 1x10

aspecially that last climb after the church - the rest was all good on this ratio

Was probably the only guy in a batch for the marathon with a dropper seat post and 140mm travel (on hell of a heavy bike) but absolutely loved the downhill and cried on every climb!!

Big thanks to the guys that gave track even though it was one hell of a rocky descent!!

PS Thanks to the guy riding in black educos kit on white cube you saved my life with that water bottle just before the last water point

Was probably the only guy in a batch for the marathon with a dropper seat post and 140mm travel (on hell of a heavy bike) but absolutely loved the downhill and cried on every climb!!

Big thanks to the guys that gave track even though it was one hell of a rocky descent!!

PS Thanks to the guy riding in black educos kit on white cube you saved my life with that water bottle just before the last water point

Can imagine that you ate those downhills for breakfast with the PYGA - nice bike by the way

Can imagine that you ate those downhills for breakfast with the PYGA - nice bike by the way

Jip the downhills and singletrack was great, Thanks!

Enjoyed the day out! D batch was good to me, felt like there were far less people than usual thanks to the 10min gap! Missed my goal by 1m51s but I am happy with my 2h31m50s for the half considering I ride my 160mm travel 15/16kg AM bike with a long sleeve DH jersey :whistling:

The sleeves really saved my ginger tendencies from the sun! Over all, smiles all round!!!

Nice one! Good to see I'm not the only one who brought a shark to a gunfight. Did the marathon on my 160mm +- 14kg nomad. 5:20 of pain. But really enjoyed the steep rocky stuff.

Everything went okay untill I got to the church. Heart rate ballooned as soon as I hit jou blixem and from there it was a struggle home.

Had a lot of fun out there. Best race in the series by n country mile!!!

To all the oakes that have lost their sence of humour on the marathon....the river has it. Also had a long day in the saddle with some humour loss at the end. With the first sighting of the river (after all the donga riding) I new gold was definitely not on the agenda and all the big sponsors have already left the venue. Parked my bike next to big old tree, took of camelback and went for it, full kit. Just jumped into the river, swam back to the edge and stayed there for almost 5min. Was joined by two other riders. Water was more than nice. Highlight of the day. Instant reboot of the system. Sense of humour back, especially when seeing that 5km board and thinking there was only 2km left.

Rest well cheese warriors.

Just a comment on the waterpoints - have a dedicated one for the marathon riders at the Greek church, just before you know what! Arrived at the last waterpoint with no water avaiable. Was told there was a tap at the church. The water smelled however like it came from an overflowing septic tank (yukk). A big thumbs up to all the riders that started sharing water and drinks. Saw one lady giving away her last fluid to a rider from the 40km that got the route wrong, did not get water at the last waterpoint and completed the final section with the marathoners. There were some broken bodies and souls on the last stretch of the course.

Edited by BarHugger

Only complaint otherwise would be Johnnie Coen trying to talk rugby on the PA at the start, FFS, we are cyclists. Talk cycling boetie. Veulta. XC. Downhill. Slope Style ..

Jah, and running. What the hell man. I'm sure you've got a ton of cycling things you can say, you've been MC'ing cycling events since Methuselah retired. I missed Max Cluer, he's always good on the mike (and knows at least 63.25% of cyclists on the start line)