Argus 2014

vaalkol

My 1st Argus next year...super excited!

What are the chances of a sub 3 for a relative newcomer with only 2 previous road results to go by: 3:05 at Shova last year (started in MTB category), and then 2:45 at Tour Durban earlier this year (does Tour Durban even count towards seeding?).

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For your information, the graph shows my training leading up to the 2011 Argus in which I did a sub 3h. In 2012 I crashed after 5km, but continued and finished just outside 3h. I'll try to also get my 2013 training data.

Week 1 is from 3 to 9 January 2011 and the Argus was during week 10. The period included 6 x Wednesday Killarney races, 3 x normal weekend races, 5 x League races and 2 x Tuesday Track leagues.

I think the big question should be: At what fitness level do you need to be at the start of Week 1 (and still go through Week 1-10 above) to stand a chance of a sub-3.

No point of talking sub-3 if you haven't been on a bike for years and then rock up at Week 1 chasing your dream of a sub-3. Cause that's what it will be.... a dream

My 1st Argus next year...super excited!

What are the chances of a sub 3 for a relative newcomer with only 2 previous road results to go by: 3:05 at Shova last year (started in MTB category), and then 2:45 at Tour Durban earlier this year (does Tour Durban even count towards seeding?).

Grease,

Your chances are promoted with the speed of your starting bunch.

The higher you're seeded, the better your chances.

I think the big question should be: At what fitness level do you need to be at the start of Week 1 (and still go through Week 1-10 above) to stand a chance of a sub-3.

No point of talking sub-3 if you haven't been on a bike for years and then rock up at Week 1 chasing your dream of a sub-3. Cause that's what it will be.... a dream

Agreed. If you start in January you'll only be able to do a sub 3 the following year, at a stretch, because you not only need the training, you also have to work up the alphabet soup and get into racing to get the legs ready.

I basically started cycling in the third quarter of 2008, but just doing funrides. During the second half of 2009 I started taking it more seriously. I did the Western Cape Summer League in 2010, but I was absolutely smashed and dropped in every race. I did the 2010 Argus in 3h16 from VA after being dropped. Spring League in 2010 went much better and this lead to the 2011 year which starts with my graph I posted.

Agreed. If you start in January you'll only be able to do a sub 3 the following year, at a stretch, because you not only need the training, you also have to work up the alphabet soup and get into racing to get the legs ready.

I basically started cycling in the third quarter of 2008, but just doing funrides. During the second half of 2009 I started taking it more seriously. I did the Western Cape Summer League in 2010, but I was absolutely smashed and dropped in every race. I did the 2010 Argus in 3h16 from VA after being dropped. Spring League in 2010 went much better and this lead to the 2011 year which starts with my graph I posted.

I don't think this is true IMHO! If you put in the training you can ride a sub 3hrs but almost impossible if you not starting in the right group near the front!

I don't think this is true IMHO! If you put in the training you can ride a sub 3hrs but almost impossible if you not starting in the right group near the front!

That's why I said and used my example of working yourself up to the league races and from there you should be able to get a licensed or A or B start at the Argus and then BOOM!

The 'Argus ready classifieds' is one thing. Soon some guy will want to know which is more suited to cruising around in a bunch in the Argus long after the winner has finished; his 22mm 1360g climbing wheels, his 38mm 1450g alround wheels or his R20 000 50mm 1520g aero wheels?

Grease,

Your chances are promoted with the speed of your starting bunch.

The higher you're seeded, the better your chances.

Thanks Dale,

Any idea what kind of seeding I could expect with those results?

Can't try improve on Shova this year...in the sticks riding Berg & Bush.

Statistically more riders have broken the sub 3 without Boyes drive.

The numbers and luck is up, no Boyes Drive next year!

Yes, but with sizes of the bunches, the narrow roads through Kalkbay etc, and the resultant bottlenecks, that "advantage" is neutralised to a great degree.

This year the bottle neck in my group through Kalkbay was so bad, we stood still for at least a minute at the Boyesdrive/Main road junction at the Harbour. Up to there it was very arratic riding, and even more so after, as the bunch grew even bigger.

Last year only riders in B and higher managed to break sub 3. In my opinion you have to be in A to stand a decent chance or in B and stay at the front of the pack. Anything lower and you'll be time trialling it by yourself.

In terms of training it would differ from person to person, but I can't imagine doing less than 12-15 hours a week and still being able to go sub 3 (but that's just me, I'm sure most people could do it on much less).

If the wind is up on the day though, all bets are off.

Chech group "G" results!

Chech group "G" results!

Ha, yes, I know, but that guy is a freak. He's a Olympic walker, so he doesn't count ;)

How can one try to predict your seeding? Is the PPA rating used? How can a non-member see the rating?